• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Shocked that he was taken off but thinking about it, I think the reason for the sub is that inevitably Xhaka would have got booked for stopping some Sheffield counter attack and he would miss the next league game. I'm sure Emery will make sure Xhaka gets booked in a PL game just before a league cup game, so that he misses that instead. Emery is truly a genius.
100% spot on

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Forget defensively. We know what he offers the team in that respect. However I was watching him on the ball this game. He just doesn't pass forward. You can visibly see him thinking about his first touch. People literally moan about AMN playing centrally, but he would move the ball so much faster. As would Torreira.

People think we lack a 10. I don't think we lack that at all. We need a baller who is happy in deep, central and advanced areas. We need a player who is a threat on the dribble, on the pass and shooting at goal but who is also an athlete. We need a player who is a technician. We don't have a midfielder who is supremely comfortable on the ball. Just look at what happens when the ball is in the air. Xhaka, guendouzi and Willock all do the same thing. They head it to nobody when under no pressure. There are moments where they have so much time all they need to do is chest it down and play.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Cons:
He's slow
He can't tackle
He concedes stupid fouls and penalties
He can't handle being pressed by the opposition
He can't take players on
He can't play with his back to the opposition
He can make very sloppy passes at times
He goes to sleep positionally

Pros:
He sometimes executes decent long passes
He has a decent shot on him

If you're going to put up with so many downsides in a player he better be elite in certain aspects of his game, Xhaka miserably fails at this.
Let me sum it up for you: He is dross!

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Just gonna say it, our buildup play was worse after he came off. I'd have taken off Guendouzi instead tbh, I think with the type of game it was becoming we needed more the passing of Xhaka than the energy of Guendouzi against a low block.

Jae

Just gonna say it, our buildup play was worse after he came off. I'd have taken off Guendouzi instead tbh, I think with the type of game it was becoming we needed more the passing of Xhaka than the energy of Guendouzi against a low block.

I think we looked better when him and Willock came off mate. Actually managed to control the game and had something rediculous like 86% possession at times, just couldn't find that final ball.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I think we looked better when him and Willock came off mate. Actually managed to control the game and had something rediculous like 86% possession at times, just couldn't find that final ball.

Things were slow and predictable though, we controlled the game because Sheffield were happy to sit back. Besides I don't think Xhaka would have changed much in any case as I think the issues are deeper than that..

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
We need a player who is a threat on the dribble, on the pass and shooting at goal but who is also an athlete. We need a player who is a technician. We don't have a midfielder who is supremely comfortable on the ball. Just look at what happens when the ball is in the air. Xhaka, guendouzi and Willock all do the same thing. They head it to nobody when under no pressure. There are moments where they have so much time all they need to do is chest it down and play.
One player will never be enough, we saw that already when Cazorla came to the club and after him Sanchez. If you wanna play technical football, you need couple of players that understand the movement with and without the ball and also have that ability on the ball. Currently it's only Ceballos that can play that game but he struggles with players around him.
I think if we would finally drop Xhaka, Sokratis and Kolasinac, plus moving Auba away from build up and focus him only on finishing, we would see massive improvement in our game.
Players like Tierney, ESR (when fit), Martinelli and Chambers should be given bigger responsibilities as they are most technical in our squad with some brain in their heads

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Forget defensively. We know what he offers the team in that respect. However I was watching him on the ball this game. He just doesn't pass forward. You can visibly see him thinking about his first touch. People literally moan about AMN playing centrally, but he would move the ball so much faster. As would Torreira.

People think we lack a 10. I don't think we lack that at all. We need a baller who is happy in deep, central and advanced areas. We need a player who is a threat on the dribble, on the pass and shooting at goal but who is also an athlete. We need a player who is a technician. We don't have a midfielder who is supremely comfortable on the ball. Just look at what happens when the ball is in the air. Xhaka, guendouzi and Willock all do the same thing. They head it to nobody when under no pressure. There are moments where they have so much time all they need to do is chest it down and play.

Nailed it. Especially the part in bold.

Was watching Bayern v Sp**s and until half time it was pretty even when they had Kimmich and Tolisso. Then Kovac brought Thiago on and moved Kimmich to RB.

Suddenly the ball was finding its way to Coutinho and Gnabry with increasing ease. Sp**s couldn’t cope.

When people talk about dictating tempo, that’s not what a 10 does. That’s a 6. It’s imperative that whoever occupies the role of first receiver is purposeful in their play, confident, and progressive.

As you’ve said Xhaka’s defensive limitations are obvious. But offensively having to go through him is really hurting our attacking play.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Nailed it. Especially the part in bold.

Was watching Bayern v Sp**s and until half time it was pretty even when they had Kimmich and Tolisso. Then Kovac brought Thiago on and moved Kimmich to RB.

Suddenly the ball was finding its way to Coutinho and Gnabry with increasing ease. Sp**s couldn’t cope.

When people talk about dictating tempo, that’s not what a 10 does. That’s a 6. It’s imperative that whoever occupies the role of first receiver is purposeful in their play, confident, and progressive.

As you’ve said Xhaka’s defensive limitations are obvious. But offensively having to go through him is really hurting our attacking play.

Thiago is the perfect example, press resistant, can tackle, fast and agile, can dribble and is completely confident in his technical ability. We need that Thiago, Arthur, Cazorla type player who is good on the ball. I would even put Isco in that bracket. Matheus Henrique of Gremio fits the bill also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom