• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rouski

Good on Xhaka for highlighting a problem. Fans are not above reproach. I don't understand the mentality of people who show a lack of respect and expect to be shown respect. This toxic atmosphere was here during Wenger's time. He was one of the greatest managers and it led to his sad exit from the club.

Last edited:

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Its not like the fans are pelting the players on match-day, barricading the training ground or vandalising their houses. So much **** goes on at football clubs round the world England is pretty tame.

Long overdue this group get some stick. Wenger took it for years, Kronke a super easy target & now Emery. The disparity between home & away results has to fall somewhat on the players as well. I hated the holiday camp feel last season. Its a super soft flakey group.

Highbury_2006

Village Idiot
Its not like the fans are pelting the players on match-day, barricading the training ground or vandalising their houses. So much **** goes on at football clubs round the world England is pretty tame.

Long overdue this group get some stick. Wenger took it for years, Kronke a super easy target & now Emery. The disparity between home & away results has to fall somewhat on the players as well. I hated the holiday camp feel last season. Its a super soft flakey group.

Players has been attacked for a long time by the fans. This isnt new.

NZgunner

I really despise what he did.

And let's be absolutely clear about what it was he did - he wasted time when he was being subbed, in a calculated way to make a personal point to the fans and/or Emery at the expense of the club and his team mates who were still trying to win.

It was at that point that the booing started.

I don't want him to apologise, it would be meaningless.

As far as I'm concerned he has shown by this and his subsequent actions that he can't give the club 100% - and that alone means he should never be allowed to put on the shirt again.

Jarv

I missed the match, but going by the videos and what I've read from people at the Emirates:

1. Xhaka's number comes up. Fans sarcastically cheer.

2. Xhaka starts nonchalantly walking the pitch with no urgency.

3. Some (not all) fans start to jeer him for sauntering instead of jogging off.

4. He takes the armband off and flippantly tosses it to the ground instead of handing it to Auba. Both disrespectful, tantrum-like and wastes even more time.

5. Fans are pissed and begin to loudly boo.

6. Xhaka starts gesturing to the fans. Tells them to **** off.

7. Fans are really giving him the business now.

8. He takes his shirt off storms down the tunnel and throws his shirt to the ground.

All of this could have been avoided if Xhaka (our ****ing captain, mind you) ignored the initial, limited jeers, jogged off, handed the armband to Auba and went down the tunnel. Aka. What he was supposed to do.

Fans cheering his number coming up is disrespectful, but hardly unheard of or extremely abusive. For someone who claims he's a leader, he lost his cool over a tied game in October and some smartassedness from supporters. He doesn't have the nerve to be Captain if he can't keep his head on when he's faced with such an avoidable level of adversity.

I want him gone. Sell his ass to Red Star Belgrade for a dozen pljeskavica for all I care.

Highbury_2006

Village Idiot
I missed the match, but going by the videos and what I've read from people at the Emirates:

4. He takes the armband off and flippantly tosses it to the ground instead of handing it to Auba. Both disrespectful, tantrum-like and wastes even more time.

8. He takes his shirt off storms down the tunnel and throws his shirt to the ground.

All of this could have been avoided if Xhaka (our ****ing captain, mind you) ignored the initial, limited jeers, jogged off, handed the armband to Auba and went down the tunnel. Aka. What he was supposed to do.

Fans cheering his number coming up is disrespectful, but hardly unheard of or extremely abusive. For someone who claims he's a leader, he lost his cool over a tied game in October and some smartassedness from supporters. He doesn't have the nerve to be Captain if he can't keep his head on when he's faced with such an avoidable level of adversity.

I want him gone. Sell his ass to Red Star Belgrade for a dozen pljeskavica for all I care.

Why Red Star Belgrade?

NZgunner

Players has been attacked for a long time by the fans. This isnt new.
Absolutely true - read about Nick Hornby's first match back in the late 1960s,

Nick Hornby said:
It wasn't the size of the crowd that impressed me the most, however, or the way that adults were allowed to shout the word "W@NKER!" as loudly as they wanted without attracting any attention ... Within minutes of the kickoff there was real anger ... as the game went on the anger turned into outrage .

BobP

Memri Fan
If Emery had even half of a testicle, Xhaka would've been demoted already.

Irrespective of the behaviour of the fans, Xhaka's response/conduct hardly befitted that which is generally expected of a club captain.

Wenger stripped Gallas of the captaincy for much less than what Xhaka did.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado

top post, and probably most accurately describes the events.

Keplaz

If Emery had even half of a testicle, Xhaka would've been demoted already.

Irrespective of the behaviour of the fans, Xhaka's response/conduct hardly befitted that which is generally expected of a club captain.

Wenger stripped Gallas of the captaincy for much less than what Xhaka did.
I agree 100%. I think it's too late to simply demote him now. If he'd apologised straight away and attempted to acknowledge his disrespectful behaviour, perhaps but it's gone on too long. I honestly don't think he can play for us again.

I know players are people regardless of what they earn and have feelings too. I get that Xhaka has been through a lot of criticism and just lost it, but there are lines you don't cross. In any customer facing job, like his, even if customers are being absolute jerks, you can't react like he did, without losing your job.

A football club means more to fans than to most players, unless they are fans too. He is paid to play for Arsenal, supporters pay to watch Arsenal. We have a right to express how we feel, even if it's hard to take for the player.

Then you hear reports of him refusing to apologise. At this point it will mean nothing if he does. I think they get paid what they are paid because they are in the public eye, danger money almost, and football is so emotive, you should expect people to be upset when performances aren't great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom