• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balboa

He's average compared to the majority of our starting midfielders from the Wenger era.

Not his fault he doesn't matchup to their standards but for us as fans it's frustrating to see him as the main man after four years.

We have to aim for better but in fairness we can say that for quite a few other positions as well.

But do you think that jeering or booing him is a solution to that?

What will players who could potentially replace him think when they see it and compare it to say, much as it pains me to say it.....Liverpool and their supporters (formerly some of my least favourite fans because they tend to have a belief that the are the best fans, but it's hard to deny they've been fairly resilient in supporting the team through bad times and good)

Balboa

Errors leading to goals and penalties conceded are numbers which quantify the mistakes. The fact that he has a record for it shows that he is more prone to these mistakes than others at the same level. We are just people watching the game and commenting. Obviously we are not as good as him in football. But this record clearly shows that he is worse compared to other players in the league?
A typical Xhaka fan's response to this is that the problem lies with the manager/team. The answer to that is he made such mistakes under Wenger and also in Swiss national team.

So are you saying that Arsenal fans should jeer/boo any player who starts for Arsenal, who they decide is not good enough to take Arsenal up a level, until they are alienated out of the club? Is that the plan?

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
If they were avoidable errors then why, given that you accept that Xhaka is trying his best, didn't he simply avoid them?

I'll give you my thoughts on this subject.

This is at the core of this whole problem. "Silly" and "avoidable" errors are definitions that people like to imagine and tell themselves, but which don't actually apply to these examples.

People deem these things worthy of stick in a way that they don't really think that they need to dish stick out to Özil for not putting in strong tackles, or to Chambers for not being particularly quick.

People watch these things and think "that was silly", "I wouldn't have done that", without realising how far beyond their ability Xhaka is in so many ways as a footballer. That's why he's in that situation where he makes a mistake, and you are not. You, me and most others can't even make it anywhere near to that situation.

People fail to understand that decision making is as much a difficult thing to do well and improve as is strong tackling or pace. Basically, it is excessive armchair quarter-backing and it is selfish and ignorant. By pretending these decisions are easy, it EFFECTIVELY almost accuses Xhaka of deliberately causing errors.

Granted, Xhaka isn't Liam Brady or Patrick Vieira. But that DOES NOT justify giving him stick in this way. There are ways and means that Arsenal supporters are too lazy, impatient, selfish, egotistical or ignorant to do. Protests should either be outside games, boycotting games, or boycotting merchandise. Supporters in general can't be arsed to do them. Some do, and that resulted in a response in the summer from Josh Kroenke. Some would be pleased with the last two transfer windows, but the job in hand is something akin to turning an oil tanker around, it won't happen fast. Most of the players from last FA Cup winning squad are no longer involved, that is A LOT of change in a short space of time.
You're assuming that anybody commenting against xhaka are the same people who booed him off the field. I've never even been to the Emirates mate. I throw peanuts at my tv when xhaka is ****

Balboa

You're assuming that anybody commenting against xhaka are the same people who booed him off the field. I've never even been to the Emirates mate. I throw peanuts at my tv when xhaka is ****

I am absolutely fine with peanuts being thrown at the TV. You'll not get me debating that one!!! ;)

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
If they were avoidable errors then why, given that you accept that Xhaka is trying his best, didn't he simply avoid them?

I'll give you my thoughts on this subject.

This is at the core of this whole problem. "Silly" and "avoidable" errors are definitions that people like to imagine and tell themselves, but which don't actually apply to these examples.

People deem these things worthy of stick in a way that they don't really think that they need to dish stick out to Özil for not putting in strong tackles, or to Chambers for not being particularly quick.

People watch these things and think "that was silly", "I wouldn't have done that", without realising how far beyond their ability Xhaka is in so many ways as a footballer. That's why he's in that situation where he makes a mistake, and you are not. You, me and most others can't even make it anywhere near to that situation.

People fail to understand that decision making is as much a difficult thing to do well and improve as is strong tackling or pace. Basically, it is excessive armchair quarter-backing and it is selfish and ignorant. By pretending these decisions are easy, it EFFECTIVELY almost accuses Xhaka of deliberately causing errors.

Granted, Xhaka isn't Liam Brady or Patrick Vieira. But that DOES NOT justify giving him stick in this way. There are ways and means that Arsenal supporters are too lazy, impatient, selfish, egotistical or ignorant to do. Protests should either be outside games, boycotting games, or boycotting merchandise. Supporters in general can't be arsed to do them. Some do, and that resulted in a response in the summer from Josh Kroenke. Some would be pleased with the last two transfer windows, but the job in hand is something akin to turning an oil tanker around, it won't happen fast. Most of the players from last FA Cup winning squad are no longer involved, that is A LOT of change in a short space of time.

Lol, wow

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
They did a tier list or Soccer AM of all Arsenal captains of the Premier League era,..Elite, Very Good, Good, Poor, Terrible were the tiers I think.

Elite - Adams, Vieira
Very Good - Henry
Good - Fabregas, Van Persie, Arteta, Per
Poor - Vermaelen, Koscielny
Terrible- Gallas, Xhaka

This would be mine all qualities considered, not ranking Auba yet...what would be yours?

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
They did a tier list or Soccer AM of all Arsenal captains of the Premier League era,..Elite, Very Good, Good, Poor, Terrible were the tiers I think.

Elite - Adams, Vieira
Very Good - Henry
Terrible- Gallas, Xhaka

This would be mine all qualities considered, not ranking Auba yet...what would be yours?
I'd have Henry in the 'good' category at best. Too much of a moaner imo.

GDeep™

League is very weak

Elite - Adams, Vieira
Very Good - Henry
Terrible- Gallas, Xhaka

Cesc, Arteta and Per are in the same league as Henry if not better.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I am taking into account the fact that Per and Arteta were both done as players when they were made captain, both very good leaders of the pitch...just felt Titi being so iconic took him slightly ahead of Cesc and Robin, all led by example brilliantly though.

They put Henry in elite with Tony and Paddy on Soccer AM :lol:

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Like a day before he got a season long injury in 2016!

Back in time for the FA cup final though ;)

He was still pretty much captaining the side in Artetas absence from 2013 onwards wasn't he? I remember him tearing Özil a new one up at the Etihad, was it?, Around that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom