Granit Xhaka: A Mismatch of Strengths and Weaknesses

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Trilly, May 25, 2016.

1. Justin1986

Justin1986 Member

Haha I’m pretty sure this isn’t a revelation , I’ve been doing my nut about the bloke for a few months now! Maybe the joy of winning for the first time in what seems like years has clouded my judgement again? The way we’ve been playing lately I’ll take anything
  2. yybecause

yybecause Formerly known as ArsenaLover

If you have a slow winger, your tactics shouldnt be to play thru balls to him. If Striker ala Lacazette is playing up front, you wouldnt set up your team to concentrate on crosses and more crosses to Alex. Its a 11 man game, with all of them having shortcomings. Dont blame a slow winger for not catching those balls, or Alex not scoring those headers. Xhaka has his shortcomings, literally every single player at any club has. Its up to those 11 players and a coach to form a nice tactic and a plan. Xhaka is a very good player with lots of qualities, yet gets lots of stick, like many others (at Arsenal or other clubs) cause of poor team performance
  3. Cudareli

Cudareli Well-Known Member

Always happy to meet you here, but unfortunately it will never be a fair fight.

A subjective argument where statistics against his performance can be used, but statistics supporting his performance can not.

In my eyes he's our number one midfielder here and my view isn't going to change because of the garbage views I read on here or Twitter.
  4. Cudareli

If Eleneny did that :lol:

87 touches, 95% pass rate, 4 long balls, 1 chance created, 3 headers won, 3 clearances, 2 blocked shots, 3 interceptions and 2 tackles.

Elneny is never in a million years doing that :lol:
  5. Jury

Jury Wenger Öut

More meaningless useless stats. What do they mean? What do they tell you? Nothing. Elneny has had far better games than Xhaka did today. Elneny has had a far better Arsenal career.
  6. Jury

Jury Wenger Öut

You're perfectly entitled to think he's whatever. But the fact is it's widely acknowledged that his Arsenal career has been crap, and his average performance isn't good enough. This is an opinion held by the vast majority of fans and ex-footballers. I doubt it's anything personal tbh. I really don't think its his hairstyle or the way he talks.
  7. pacstud

pacstud Well-Known Member

It's how much he cost. Which is no fault of his.

He's still a pup.

We have many pups. We are a young and immature team lacking veteran leadership. Today was a mature day of players playing to their potential. Ideally, this can occur more in the future, with or without Wenger.
  8. Mitch

Mitch Love Arsenal, Hate Ramsey

Don't trust people, people like Coldplay, voted for the Nazis and voted Scott Parker player of the year in 2011.
    Jury likes this.
  9. Mitch

Mitch Love Arsenal, Hate Ramsey

Xhaka was one of our top players last season. Xhaka this season started off very poorly partnered with Ramsey in a 2 man midfield. However, Xhaka has played well when partnered in a 2 man midfield with Jack or a 3 man midfield.
    BobP, albakos, say yes and 1 other person like this.
  10. Cudareli

I keep taking the bait but I won't be this time.
  11. mavelous

mavelous Well-Known Member Trusted

to be fair to him, Xhaka's biggest strength is his passing range, and in this match he used them fully well, those long diagonals were delicious, no denying - vintage Xhaka.

and kudos to wenger for shoring up the CMs and adjusting the interplay of Özil and Mkhi in relation to the CMs. Whenever Ramsey dropped, you could see Jack moving further up, and vice verca. they didn't abandon Xhaka too much.
  12. krackpot

krackpot Well-Known Member

Loved his positioning, though Wilshere made him seem better than he was.
  13. Aevius

Aevius Pro-Rambo Moderator

14. Jury

Jury Wenger Öut

It's not bait, and I'm not trying to wind you up. I'm just saying you can interpret those stats many ways. When you're using them as proof that he did well, they don't really do that.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  15. Jury

Jury Wenger Öut

Where's the rest of it ? He's supposed to have had 87 touches. It was a nothing performance :lol:
  16. BobP

BobP Favre Fan

Miss the days when you were on Özil's back.
  17. Jury

Jury Wenger Öut

I don't get what the fixation with Xhaka is with some of you tbh. It's worrying. People need to learn to accept that he's not the player they thought he was when he was in Germany, now he's in a different league. More is being asked and he can't hack it. We can't be right all the time. It happens more often than not. Time to let it go mate. See his best bits above? Embarrassing. :lol:
  18. BobP

BobP Favre Fan

As I once said, you can't have your cake and eat it.

If you think Wenger should go then its because you believe he isn't getting the best out of the players available to him. With that in mind, you can't say you want Wenger out for the above reason and then blame the players for underperforming.

I think I've seen you argue elsewhere, and I'm paraphrasing here, that "Wenger is responsible for the present situation because he bought these players", which implies that, in your view, the problem lies not in Wenger's tactical illiteracy, but in his player recruitment. So it seems, to me at least, that you believe all Wenger needs to do is assemble the 'right' players, whatever that means, and then everything will be alright.

I sense a little bit of confusion.
  19. Jury

Jury Wenger Öut

There's no confusion at all.

To the part in bold, there'd be more of a chance of competing if he signed players that managed themselves. Football isn't an exact science and the right mix of players, if he's lucky, could do the trick. It's clear there's a coaching problem, but Xhaka had already been coached in Germany and that's where he somehow made a name for himself.

It's not Wenger that makes him the limited midfielder that he is.

Wenger is responsible for a lot of stuff, but not everything. He signed the player/s, that's where he went wrong. When the player's step out on to the field, that's when they also get judged. Wenger doesn't know what we need and can't identify the quality players, and Xhaka isn't good enough. Two separate issues.
  20. BobP

BobP Favre Fan

This is where we differ.

As you know, I'm of the firm opinion that Xhaka is a quality player who has been failed by A. Wenger's inability to integrate him into the team and B. Wenger's tactical incompetence. You are of the opinion that Xhaka is a poor player, with Wenger being responsible only in so far as he signed him and continues to play him.
  21. Jury

Jury Wenger Öut

When I see 'failed to integrate into the team', all this says to me is the players flaws were being masked elsewhere for a season... And that's important to remember. A season of appearing solid with a specific role, allegedly (I never watched him closely in Germany). Xhaka, if it's the case isn't the first and wont be the last player to be flattered by a system.

Bottom line is, if you've got class (versatility; nous; know-how; natural ability with the physical capability that accentuates) you integrate at some stage. Our players of undoubted class, past and present, have always shown it. If you haven't got it, you need heaven and earth moved to suit you. But doing that for players with nothing in their locker other than an aesthetically pleasing strike on him is a shortcut to complete mediocrity.