• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Seriously big up Granit. I can’t stand the guy but he’s come through big time in this recent stretch of form we are in likes he’s finally woken up. Wanna see Xhaka/Partey.

We never learn do we ?
How often do these losers stink out the joint for months only to have a run of a few “good” games against mediocre opposition and fans start to sing their praises ?

Rinse and repeat. Xhaka isn’t going to magically become a great player at his age. He is what he is and what he is, isn’t good enough for Arsenal.

mpower2540

We never learn do we ?
How often do these losers stink out the joint for months only to have a run of a few “good” games against mediocre opposition and fans start to sing their praises ?

Rinse and repeat. Xhaka isn’t going to magically become a great player at his age. He is what he is and what he is, isn’t good enough for Arsenal.
Problem is we still need him for now. I’m no fan of Xhaka but the fact that we rarely win when he’s not in the team shows how poverty our midfield options are. He was excellent when he came on last night, plus the fact that we’ve had more intelligent movement ahead of him he’s been more willing to move the ball forward and apart from Partey he’s by far the best passer.

Jack badmon

We never learn do we ?

Look I’m just giving credit where it’s due, I can’t stand the guy and I still want him out of the first team and club immediately. I have to be fair though because he has played well. Just as I’m quick to criticise I have to be quick to acknowledge when he’s good also.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
We never learn do we ?

I think your right he isn't good enough for a club like Arsenal but games like last night still prove that, ignoring Partey, he's by far the best we've got. I don't see it as realistic financially at the moment for us to get rid of all our midfielders and replace them so I think he'll be here for some time yet.

Multipass

The technique and power on the volley deserved a goal.
If Xhaka focuses on what he does best, he may yet contribute along side Partley.

just stop flopping to the ground under pressure, and cut out the slow side ways movement.

Really hoping Partey’s energy and ball carrying , leaves xhaka with a simple shielding / switching play / and strike from outside the box role which he is capable of performing.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

We never learn do we ?

I fully agree, but that doesn't mean we cannot give praise for good efforts or good games. E.g. the pass yesterday to Tierney for Auba's goal was very nice. His long range effort was also good.

Still, I am a big critic of Xhaka and want him out. He is not a player you can build a successful team around. He is one of the causes for our current issues not one of the solutions.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I think your right he isn't good enough for a club like Arsenal but games like last night still prove that, ignoring Partey, he's by far the best we've got. I don't see it as realistic financially at the moment for us to get rid of all our midfielders and replace them so I think he'll be here for some time yet.

Penny wise pound foolish. If we keep on to players who aren't good enough and as a result we finish mid table or out of the top 4, that costs the club financially.

It was our mistake during the lean years as well. If we pushed out the boat just once or twice, brought in an Anelka or a midfielder and won the league or Champions league. The money generated from winning the competition and the ability to negotiate better commercial deals from the resulting prestige would have put the club in a better position than keeping our powder dry ever did.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Penny wise pound foolish. If we keep on to players who aren't good enough and as a result we finish mid table or out of the top 4, that costs the club financially.
What do you want the club to do? Sell him in Jan?

I'd get this complaining if he survived yet another summer but whether you like it or not he still has a part to play until then.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
What do you want the club to do? Sell him in Jan?

I'd get this complaining if he survived yet another summer but whether you like it or not he still has a part to play until then.

I didn't say that. I was more responding to the line ".. I think he'll be here for some time yet."

That phrase suggests to me that Xhaka will still be here beyond next season, let alone next summer. That's not a state of affairs I can agree with.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I'll give him credit for yesterday, we looked much more proactive in the centre of the park when he came on. Hit that volley like a peach too!

Keep performing Granit, we might be able to get an additional £5m in the summer for you at this rate :lol:

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

One thing I will say is that he took responsibility yesterday and made sure to pass it forward, I one stage he was visibly pissed at Elneny who decided to pass back to Mari when Xhaka clearly wanted to play a one-two and go into the space ahead. Dare I say it, he played like a leader when he came on.

Of course we shouldn't forget about his flaws and how in a couple of games time he could easily let us down again but I like to give credit when it's due.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I didn't say that. I was more responding to the line ".. I think he'll be here for some time yet."

That phrase suggests to me that Xhaka will still be here beyond next season, let alone next summer. That's not a state of affairs I can agree with.
I mean, he's got a point we have Elneny, Torreira, Guendouzi to sell. Along with other "deadwood" Lacazette, Bellerin, Eddie etc..

There's a chance he survives another window if he doesn't push for a move himself because of so many outgoings.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

I mean, he's got a point we have Elneny, Torreira, Guendouzi to sell. Along with other "deadwood" Lacazette, Bellerin, Eddie etc..

There's a chance he survives another window if he doesn't push for a move himself because of so many outgoings.

Would be shocked if we sell him...we have too many other likely outgoings as you say, the manager rates him and most importantly...no team that would make Granit think of leaving Arsenal/London will come in for him anyway :lol:

Might not be too bad though...Partey-Xhaka-ESR, looks a good midfield.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger

I'd rather keep Elneny than Xhaka. Lower wages and better suited to being a squad player than Xhaka.

There isn't a law that says we can only sell X number of players in a transfer window.

This piecemeal approach we have had to squad building has gotten us where exactly?

We get rid of 1/2 mediocre players bring in 3/4 new ones (if we're lucky), talk about squad harmony and not disrupting team balance. Then we get nowhere because the average players we didn't get rid of cost us yet again, our stay players become frustrated and leave. Then we start the whole process over again.

Enough.

If the club is really too lazy to do a proper clear out, anyone under the age of 24 can stay for one more season. Or don't actively look to sell them but keep your ears open for any offers.

There I just made their job easier.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I'm not saying I agree with him being here long term either but can't see us going from Xhaka, Ceballos, Elneny, Willock and Partey right now to Partey and 4 new centre midfielders in 6 months, just not going to happen.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I'm not saying I agree with him being here long term either but can't see us going from Xhaka, Ceballos, Elneny, Willock and Partey right now to Partey and 4 new centre midfielders in 6 months, just not going to happen.
Pretty much, I mean anyone with sense can see this.

Arteta along with every journalist and pundit in the world has stressed the point that this squad isn't what it should be - with Xhaka being the poster boy for expensive unpopular players in their late twenties at the club.

There is definitely a fire sale this summer and if we're lucky Xhaka is part of it, but depending on who comes in it's not the end of the world if he wasn't.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Pretty much, I mean anyone with sense can see this.

Arteta along with every journalist and pundit in the world has stressed the point that this squad isn't what it should be.

There is definitely a fire sale this summer and if we're lucky Xhaka is part of it, but depending on who comes in it's not the end of the world if he didn't.
Even if we did have a midfield clear out Partey for certain would be here and as poor as Xhaka has been over the years he's still shown to be the most capable of our other current options. I'd much rather Douzi than Xhaka but don't see much chance of him playing for us again.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
We never learn do we ?

I'm like his biggest detractor & want him gone yesterday. But he was decent yesterday.

Let's just hope the cult doesn’t reform just because of that

Jack_the_boy

Definitely Not Manberg
I'm like his biggest detractor & want him gone yesterday. But he was decent yesterday.

Let's just hope the cult doesn’t reform just because of that

The cult has never left. Less reason to defend him when people praise his performance. But therein lies the problem too because he almost always plays very well. It just takes hollywood passes and hollywood shots for many to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom