• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
In 2016 Sir Chips told us we can compete with the best teams in the world for the best players that same summer, we signed the Spanish Shane Long, the Granit Xavi and German squillacci for a combined fee of 100m (including add-ons).
5 years on, two of them are still here stinking up the place and AM is still defending them comparing one of them to pirlo and you wonder why we're midtable?

Infact, we'd have been in a better position if we didn't make any signing that summer.

Until we all acknowledge that signing Xhaka was a mistake, we'll still be in this mess.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

CP is at 13th position. If you think getting a 0-0 draw against them at home should make us happy, then we deserve to be in 11th position.

We have had enough discussion about his pass %. Passing back to GK and defenders will pad up his pass % statistics. Not saying he had a bad game. He had a decent game. But all the claims of MoTM performance are over the top. We have seen him for 4 years to know that he gives such decent games once in awhile while completely sabotaging our chances of a win in 2 games every season either due to red-card/penalties or stupid errors. Compare the two and there is no reason why he should be a regular starter other than the fact that we do not have any better midfielder, which is our current situation.

I have not said 0-0 is good, not sure where you read that. Saying that 4-0 win for clearly the most in-form team in the league is nothing surprising. Arsenal is not in-form or as good team as City.

Anyway Xhaka single-handedly saved at least two great goal chances. This time he tracked back (not so usual from him in the past) in one where the guy on the back post (Benteke I think) would have had open goal chance for example.

He gets no credit, only bashing or "decent" performance. Another was when Zaha got past everyone else and was a few meters from the goal and Xhaka tackled him and got the ball (this tackle from Xhaka would often result in a penalty).

Without him we would have likely lost.

But as I said, I won't waste much time here.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
I have not said 0-0 is good, not sure where you read that. Saying that 4-0 win for clearly the most in-form team in the league is nothing surprising. Arsenal is not in-form or as good team as City.

Anyway Xhaka single-handedly saved at least two great goal chances. This time he tracked back (not so usual from him in the past) in one where the guy on the back post (Benteke I think) would have had open goal chance for example.

He gets no credit, only bashing or "decent" performance. Another was when Zaha got past everyone else and was a few meters from the goal and Xhaka tackled him and got the ball (this tackle from Xhaka would often result in a penalty).

Without him we would have likely lost.

But as I said, I won't waste much time here.
We did mention that he made some great tackles and compensated for it by giving away the ball cheaply. But if we are to progress, we need a midfielder who can transition to attack quickly. You said in a previous post that he shouldn't be the one responsible for attack. All these days, his fanboys claimed defence is not his responsibility because he is a DLP. So what is he in the team for?

drippin

We did mention that he made some great tackles and compensated for it by giving away the ball cheaply. But if we are to progress, we need a midfielder who can transition to attack quickly. You said in a previous post that he shouldn't be the one responsible for attack. All these days, his fanboys claimed defence is not his responsibility because he is a DLP. So what is he in the team for?

I don't have stats for his passing "forward". But often he dropped to the left side of a back three CB's and got 7/8 succesful long balls etc.

Now you suggest a player who was often in CB position, should be responsible for attacking, and the reason we didn't score. While he saved couple great goal chances.

You can't make this stuff up.

The left side was seriously handicapped by AMN (compared to Tierney, he is not in-form of course), he didn't challenge, make one-twos and missed easy passes. His passing was 77,5 % and didn't even try much tough passes.

I have never said we can't upgrade on Xhaka. I have said that he is a very capable squad player and there is a reason why managers play him in our squad, while the half-blind haters only see his bad deeds on the field.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
This place is just something else. Have read posts here by fast glancing, and seems like even when Xhaka makes a MotM performance in 0-0 game, having couple goal-saving moments and keeping Zaha in his pocket, with 7/8 long balls, he gets bashed even more than usual. You guys never disappoint. :lol:

Goal saving moments occur because he gave the ball away for half of them and all intervetionsje makes are inlur final third. It's also a case of it all actually coming off for once. On another day, it could have been a penalty and a red card, which nobody would have been surprised about.

Also, you don't even notice Partey making 4 tackles in is limited time of the pitch because of where he makes them. He is proactive and can win the ball higher up.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He's in the team to look pretty and annoy anyone who doesn't rate him:lol:

drippin

Goal saving moments occur because he gave the ball away for half of them and all intervetionsje makes are inlur final third. It's also a case of it all actually coming off for once. On another day, it could have been a penalty and a red card, which nobody would have been surprised about.

Also, you don't even notice Partey making 4 tackles in is limited time of the pitch because of where he makes them. He is proactive and can win the ball higher up.

I didn't notice? I haven't even talked about Partey. Do you see I have him in my avatar, not Xhaka?

What is your kind of argumentation? You state I have said something etc. which I have never said.

Please provide evidence that Xhaka was responsible for "giving the ball away for half of them". I remember AMN being responsible for that at least 2-3 times and he had 3x less total passes.

Sweet'n'Soulful

Yet another banned account of Jury
It’s the usual line of defence you see a lot. I remember when Özil’s assists were all that matter once, and when they dried up they weren’t as important. It’s a football forum thing and is annoying, along with the baseless and always easily proven hypocritical accusation of being a ‘hater’ because you hold an opposing opinion on a player.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I didn't notice? I haven't even talked about Partey. Do you see I have him in my avatar, not Xhaka?

What is your kind of argumentation? You state I have said something etc. which I have never said.

Please provide evidence that Xhaka was responsible for "giving the ball away for half of them". I remember AMN being responsible for that at least 2-3 times and he had 3x less total passes.

I didn't mean you specifically. Probably should have said we or people don't notice.

And Xhaka did give the ball away and have to recover multiple times. Even those who say he have a good game would have to admit that.

drippin

I didn't mean you specifically. Probably should have said we or people don't notice.

And Xhaka did give the ball away and have to recover multiple times. Even those who say he have a good game would have to admit that.

Okay.

I know he did, but I want evidence, because "half of them" is a lot and sounds like a overstatement.

Besides he had way more passes than any other player, especially other than Holding, Luiz and Bellerin who are straight defenders. This affects how many bad passes you're likely to make in total.

drippin

It’s the usual line of defence you see a lot. I remember when Özil’s assists were all that matter once, and when they dried up they weren’t as important. It’s a football forum thing and is annoying, along with the baseless and always easily proven hypocritical accusation of being a ‘hater’ because you hold an opposing opinion on a player.

Welcome to AM. The other side will call the other side fanboys, and other side will call haters. It's nothing here, basic courtesy and banter.

Besides, when I say haters, I talk about people who only point out bad deeds on the field and see nothing good on the players they hate.

I'm not talking about objective Arsenal fans then.

(I don't use such things in arguments in other places than AM. It's just a way to point out that the other party doesn't admit any good things on the player, maximum is "decent" even with MotM performance.)

Sweet'n'Soulful

Yet another banned account of Jury
Welcome to AM. The other side will call the other side fanboys, and other side will call haters. It's nothing here, basic courtesy and banter.

Besides, when I say haters, I talk about people who only point out bad deeds on the field and see nothing good on the players they hate.

I'm not talking about objective Arsenal fans then.

(I don't use such things in arguments in other places than AM. It's just a way to point out that the other party doesn't admit any good things on the player, maximum is "decent" even with MotM performance.)
I personally don’t really see the point or the importance of pointing out what little good a player may have done if your stance is clear and it makes no difference. Who does that appease?

If the overall performance wasn’t acceptable and the negatives outweigh the positive then what little good the player may have done is just a pointless observation.

For example if Aubameyang was crap overall because he looked lacklustre, made poor runs and missed chances, I’m not going to label someone a hater because they didn’t acknowledge a couple of good crosses he put in in the 48th and 82nd minute. It’s a bit silly init?

If somebody wants to deny flat out when highlighted that the player had no good moments whatsoever then that’s another thing. But I don’t see many people willing to do that. Either way calling it hate is just taking it to a place that doesn’t need to go.

Last edited:

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Okay.

I know he did, but I want evidence, because "half of them" is a lot and sounds like a overstatement.

Besides he had way more passes than any other player, especially other than Holding, Luiz and Bellerin who are straight defenders. This affects how many bad passes you're likely to make in total.

So you want evidence to show Xhaka lost the ball and had to recover because he lost it?

Watch any Arsenal game. He plays at least 1 stupid pass that could result in a goal vs every team he plays against.

Why does it matter how many passes he plays. He plays most of his passes to the back 4 or spinning it out to the left flank. Every now and then he plays a pass between the lines inside the full back, but he isn't actually doing that much with his passing. He messes up quite simply passes when he gives it away, as he doesn't actually risk difficult passes.

Slow and Safe. Arteta likes him because he reminds him of himself. Just keep it ticking.

Jack_the_boy

Definitely Not Manberg
So you want evidence to show Xhaka lost the ball and had to recover because he lost it?

Watch any Arsenal game. He plays at least 1 stupid pass that could result in a goal vs every team he plays against.

Why does it matter how many passes he plays. He plays most of his passes to the back 4 or spinning it out to the left flank. Every now and then he plays a pass between the lines inside the full back, but he isn't actually doing that much with his passing. He messes up quite simply passes when he gives it away, as he doesn't actually risk difficult passes.

Slow and Safe. Arteta likes him because he reminds him of himself. Just keep it ticking.

The passes he misplaced are precisely because he’s attempting difficult passes between the lines. But he hit most of them. Most of Xhaka’s teammates lost the ball more often than Xhaka on a per passed basis, but Xhaka’s misplaced passes are the only one you people like to analyse.
Also, passing is not just on the distributor but the receiver as well. It his teammates move around to find space then the passes are more likely to be successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom