• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manberg

Predator
Some people have a lack of football understanding and don’t see what Xhaka brings into the team in terms of dictating tempo and providing control and stability. These people will no doubt have said the same about Arteta as a player in our side. Xhaka has been a key player for 3 tactically astute managers at Arsenal. They know what they’re doing and see what Xhaka brings to the team.

Zero wins without Xhaka under Arteta’s reign speaks for itself.

blaze_of_glory

He was still making errors and gifting the ball to opposition. We had a back three to protect him this time. He has not given penalties though. Probably because he doesn't tackle anymore in/near the box.
But wait. What is he in the team for?
I really don't think any of this is true

RacingPhoton

Established Member
I really don't think any of this is true
In the previous thread, people have pointed out how he gifted ball away in each match in the post match discussion. And he does shy away from tackles in the box. That has been the case for quite sometime. You just have to see the number of fouls and yellows in his name to figure out why he is not committing tackles in the box.
Of course, none of this is true.

blaze_of_glory

In the previous thread, people have pointed out how he gifted ball away in each match in the post match discussion. And he does shy away from tackles in the box. That has been the case for quite sometime. You just have to see the number of fouls and yellows in his name to figure out why he is not committing tackles in the box.
Of course, none of this is true.
I count 7 tackles/blocks in the box in that highlight vid on the previous page alone. In one game

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Think he’s consistently been an 8/10 myself and one of our most important players.

Look forward to Mikel seeing sense and giving him the armband back.
I have to say, you've really stepped up your trolling

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He's improved defensively but if he is the DLP, he has to be comfortable to receive the ball from the defence, turn and play it forward preferably quickly. I hear about stability snd tempo but our midfield is run through quite often and our tempo has been way too slow. His game is a poor fit for us and what I want to see.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Just because you disagree, can’t call it trolling.

Don’t know what I said in that is controversial.
'Consistent 8/10' would make him world class ffs.

Part of the reason we played 5 at the back after the lockdown was that our midfield was crap. Yet the 'fulcrup' of that crap midfield is somehow an '8/10' midfielder.

Most of the stuff people were praising him for were the blocked shots in or near the box. We could bring in a random championship midfielder who could replicate that.

I'm not saying he's a bad player. But calling him 8/10 would make any decent footballer 9/10 or 10/10.

Anyway, it's a long season. Too early to start bickering in the Xhaka thread

Impact

Established Member
Xhaka's USP was always his passing: His ability to switch play, break lines and progress the ball into the final third. Think that has dropped off recently in part because of the lack of options to receive in that part of the pitch.

With us signing Willian and rumoured to be in the market for another 8/10 type, we should have some advanced playmakers to find in the half spaces this season.

He's becoming dependable. A steady 7/10 that also adds leadership to the side. Entering that stage of his career where DM/DLPs of his style tend to go up a notch. His decision-making on tackling, jocking and in duels has gone up a level since Arteta joined. No surprise there as Arteta himself was not a natural defensive player when he joined us.

Hope he can combine the best of both worlds this year: passing with defensive stability.

blaze_of_glory

Most of them are blocks/interceptions. Not many tackles.
That's because his positioning is good.

Tackles in the box are risky as hell and defending in a way where you dont' need to make them is ideal. If he were to make more actual tackles there I'm sure you'd say he should have been better positioned so as not need to take the risk.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

His errors have decreased under Arteta. He's still not very mobile and sometimes slow to get the ball forward. Our midfield have been poor overall this year, one of the reasons we're 8th. Too easy to cut through. Having said that, he's probably been our best midfielder.

Here's the thing though, I can't see any of the top 4 sides wanting him.

blaze_of_glory

Dominated what? Now we're stealing thunder off of Cellabos to give to Xhaka. Come on man that's low.
They were both excellent in the final. More than one player at a time can have a good game. And usually a CM requires his partner to play well in order to have a good game himself.

So far all I've got in reply to my original question, aside from vague assertions, is the one pass you mentioned near the beginning of the final. Which required Pulisic to dribble a fair ways before being in a dangerous position, if I recall.

So it would appear that Xhaka has indeed improved in regard to big errors since Arteta took over. Hopefully it continues, as he'll be starting more games than just about anyone else if he's fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom