• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Completely lost all control of that game when this guy came on for Dani.
Lol I didn’t want to say it.

Was absolutely Tierney’s fault for that goal as well and he knew it - whether the forum wants to admit it or not. That instance actually wasn’t Xhaka’s fault.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

Was absolutely Tierney’s fault for that goal as well and he knew it - whether the forum wants to admit it or not. That instance actually wasn’t Xhaka’s fault.

Wasn't Xhaka's fault for the goal, just we had complete control of that game until our main playmaker was changed, Granit definitely hides from the ball when we are under pressure.

Hope we sign a new CM, if we don't though I think Elneny's energy compliments Ceballos much better.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Nketia started over Lacazette and Pepe today.
Yup. Nketiah started in the cup game too. Arteta is picking squads based on performance. Even though he spoke highly of Laca in press conference after the Liverpool match, he knew that Laca missed some good chances and decided to give chance to Nketiah. If Nketiah continues to play poorly, Laca will get his chance again. Similarly, if Elneny-Ceballos combination doesn't do well, Xhaka will get his chance again.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
We played 3 at the back the whole game.
Screen-Shot-2020-10-04-at-5-03-23-PM.png

I could take numerous screenshots like above during the match. Tierney was playing LB and was consistently bombing forward. Of course, Xhaka fans wouldn't want to see it. We were clearly playing 4-3-3.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member

If you think it was Tierney’s fault, you must not play much 11v11 football.

blaze_of_glory

I could take numerous screenshots like above during the match. Tierney was playing LB and was consistently bombing forward. Of course, Xhaka fans wouldn't want to see it. We were clearly playing 4-3-3.
That doesn't show we were 4 at the back though. Looks like three, then four. It was fluid the whole game depending on attacking or defending. Tierney doing his usual of dropping in and out. Like all season.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚

Much more 4-3-3 than 3-4-3 today, absolutely. That's probably a function of the fact that we had complete control of the game and probably the most possession we've had under Arteta, and our formation is basically 4-3-3 in possession and 3-4-3 out.

Ceballos didn't even play especially well today for his standards but it's clear to see that he has to be in the lineup, Ceballos-Elneny today is the most balanced we've looked but I don't think it really matters too much between Elneny and Xhaka, and it will depend on the opposition.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Much more 4-3-3 than 3-4-3 today, absolutely. That's probably a function of the fact that we had complete control of the game and probably the most possession we've had under Arteta, and our formation is basically 4-3-3 in possession and 3-4-3 out.

Ceballos didn't even play especially well today for his standards but it's clear to see that he has to be in the lineup, Ceballos-Elneny today is the most balanced we've looked but I don't think it really matters too much between Elneny and Xhaka, and it will depend on the opposition.
True. Wouldn't right off Xhaka. We would rotate among them based on opposition. Might play 3-4-3 again against strong oppositions, where Xhaka could be a better choice.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
That doesn't show we were 4 at the back though. Looks like three, then four. It was fluid the whole game depending on attacking or defending. Tierney doing his usual of dropping in and out. Like all season.
Is this the kind of formation we played in the matches before this?

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚

Pretty much, it's basically the same set-up we had against West Ham (against Liverpool it was more defensive, but still essentially the same structure despite quite different and more defensive personnel), just we had much better control and possession in this game so it was much more 4-3-3 than 3-4-3.

Now, whether we had more control and possession, allowing it to be much more 4-3-3, is because of the personnel or the opposition's tactics is up for debate. As everything probably a mix of both. Certainly this formation with Saka in it, the way Arteta is using him, lends itself to be much more 4-3-3 than 3-4-3, part of the reason I quite fancy this formation given our current personnel, despite not being a fan of 3 at the back formations usually.

blaze_of_glory

Yes, whenever Tierney is in the back three he comes forward in attack to make overloads with the the wide left mid. The other two CBs move central together and then when we lose the ball Tierney moves back inside with them again.

We just had more of the ball today than in recent games since we were play Sheffield not Liverpool.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

If you think it was Tierney’s fault, you must not play much 11v11 football.
Lol why get upset and spout such nonsense?
What do you know about football?
Have you ever even touched gym before?

In any case he should have closed him down and he didn’t - he knew that and it was all in his face - you could clearly see Tierney was even mad at himself. Weaker foot he didn’t think he was going to score and it was a wonder shot.

Leno’s positioning was off too. Only reason I pointed it out is cause I’m seeing Xhaka mentioned for that goal.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member

Lol why get upset and spout such nonsense?
What do you know about football?
Have you ever even touched gym before?

In any case he should have closed him down and he didn’t - he knew that and it was all in his face - you could clearly see Tierney was even mad at himself. Weaker foot he didn’t think he was going to score and it was a wonder shot.

Leno’s positioning was off too. Only reason I pointed it out is cause I’m seeing Xhaka mentioned for that goal.

C4-E5-D954-8-DF6-4673-ACD7-3-B87-A2003-DF0.jpg

Tierney is covering that pass. What are Luiz and Gabriel doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom