• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Wrong. Xhaka’s always been playing well. You have to blame Emery for making him and pretty much the whole team look bad last season.
I remember Emery getting credited for bringing good form to a lot of players tbh, and by many who would probably wished they saved the praise :lol:

Manberg

Predator
I remember Emery getting credited for bringing good form to a lot of players tbh, and by many who would probably wished they saved the praise :lol:

Apart from young players such as Guendouzi and Martinelli, I couldn’t see it. Emery destroyed the harmony in the team by playing Torreira as a #10, I’ve no idea what that experiment he later persisted with was all about, it cost him.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Really random, but just noticed that Granit shares a birthday with Miss Avril Lavigne...

It's a shame his career here as been very "Complicated", as he does have some very good qualities.

Maybe that's his critics being too harsh though, that's it from now on Granit "I'm with you."

hehehe!

Last edited:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Apart from young players such as Guendouzi and Martinelli, I couldn’t see it. Emery destroyed the harmony in the team by playing Torreira as a #10, I’ve no idea what that experiment he later persisted with was all about, it cost him.
Özil, Xhaka, Martinelli, AMN, Saka, Torreira off the top of my head, were all hailed as payers Emery had a positive influence on. We know he went to ****, but what’s the point in rewriting history? It happened.

Manberg

Predator
Özil, Xhaka, Martinelli, AMN, Saka, Torreira off the top of my head, were all hailed as payers Emery had a positive influence on. We know he went to ****, but what’s the point in rewriting history? It happened.

Xhaka did have a very good 2018-2019 season but he was continuing on good form. The reason he looked better was he had Torreira playing a defensive role next to him. Why Emery later changed that I don’t quite get.

I don’t think Özil played well during Emery’s tenure at all, apart from the rare occasion. Ramsey was the one who often carried the team in Emery’s first season. May have finished top 4 if he didn’t get injured. Lacazette did very well too.

Last edited:

Erlis

Only Came To See Granit Xhaka

If I remember it right, Arsenal went unbeaten for 20 games with Xhaka and Torreira during that season. Then, Xhaka got injured before the away (I think) match against Manchester United, when Torreira was smashed by physicality of MU players; he was paired with that little tiny Guendouzi. Since then Torreira never was the same player. That was a good chance for that **** Emery to start playing his boy Guendouzi which cost him his arsenal career imo.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Yeah first 5 months Xhaka was in great form under Unai

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

In his own words:
“But, look, I was happy at Arsenal and I remember the good things. The first year was magnificent, I gave opportunities to young players: Bukayo [Saka] played eight minutes and never touched the ball but that was a first step for a 17-year-old who’s going to be great. Bernd Leno has grown. [Joe] Willock, Reiss Nelson, [Eddie] Nketiah, [Gabriel] Martinelli. Mattéo Guendouzi did very well, Lucas [Torreira]. It’s rewarding seeing them grow. And [Pierre-Emerick] Aubameyang got 31 goals and was top scorer, [Alexandre] Lacazette scored 19 and gave 13 assists.

Ramsey in particular was great for Emery. Özil and Xhaka enjoyed some good form under him too.

Several things cost him though, captaincy, his English, Baku, his weird experimentation like you pointed out yes, losing Ramsey, the club signing Pepe..

He definitely developed a fair few players during his time here though.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Great pass for the goal, some good defensive actions, wasn't involved overall though until the second half. No idea why he was subbed off though instead of Elneny when our tactic still went to long balls towards the end.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Oh lord. More Emery apologism. Will have to get on that later.

Anyways, imagine watching Arsenal and somehow coming to the conclusion that Ceballos is not more press resistant or a better passer than Xhaka. :facepalm:

Kinda stuff that makes you wonder if you've ever been near an actual football pitch in your life.

Manberg

Predator
I thought Xhaka was our best player in the first half. I didn’t agree with the decision to sub him off. Liverpool were man marking him tightly but he still found space at times. Made a great pass for the goal and made no mistakes in defence.

Godwin1

Very well-known
Great pass for the goal, some good defensive actions, wasn't involved overall though until the second half. No idea why he was subbed off though instead of Elneny when our tactic still went to long balls towards the end.
Good pass for the goal, but couldn't turn and pass the ball forward otherwise. Really awful trait to have being a DLP. And people wonder why Arteta gets him to pass it back to Luiz all the time.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
Had a torrid game but certain comedians will say he had a great game just because of one pass & no mistakes whilst the guy that replaced this plodder instantly became our best player on the pitch

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Had a torrid game but certain comedians will say he had a great game just because of one pass & no mistakes whilst the guy that replaced this plodder instantly became our best player on the pitch

You know you're saying that, but Ceballos didn't actually replace Xhaka's position. Elneny moved left.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
If you can't see how much our game improved once Xhaka was replaced by Ceballos, you don't understand football. Just kidding. It means you just didn't see the match.
And for the ones who were here claiming that there is no such thing as press resistance, just watch Ceballos play out of the Liverpool press. We struggled so hard to get out of our own penalty box when Xhaka was there. Ceballos made an immediate difference. And of a sudden our game became so quick and our defenders had someone to pass to.

Manberg

Predator

Liverpool’s first half and second half were very different. They relaxed their pressing in the second half. Xhaka was decent yet again.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Ramsey in particular was great for Emery. Özil and Xhaka enjoyed some good form under him too.

Several things cost him though, captaincy, his English, Baku, his weird experimentation like you pointed out yes, losing Ramsey, the club signing Pepe..

No no no.

First off, Ramsey was great under Em*ry, but he took half a season to put him in his starting XIs. If Ramsey left and they made that sudden 180 on whether to re-sign him it was no doubt with the help/recommendation of Basque Mark Hughes.

The best we played under Em*ry was a little patch in late winter when Ramsey were mostly in the team, and always Ramsey.

We weren't good with Xhaka and Torreira in the team, that unbeaten run was us being crap and lucky. We overperformed the **** out of our xG and anyone with two eyes could see we were down for a major coming back to earth.

Torreira as a #10 is typical Emery incoherence in that he was playing him to press high up the pitch and try to win the ball, while hiding him in build-up. Basically, the summary of Emery--someone without a clear idea (nor coherent defensively nor offensively, nor off-the ball)--and stuck in both minds. The right thing is to hide Torreira, yes, but if he were not a Basque Mark Hughes and had any ideas whatsoever, it would've been on the bench.

He developed a fair few players? So generous. People like Saka, Maitland-Niles, basically the whole team have developed far more under Arteta. They are under a manager who communicates his ideas and develops them tactically. That's more than you can say for Emery. Putting players on the pitch to play under your incoherent system, without good instruction does not = developing them. If it did, Guendouzi would've shown some improvement tactically under Emery...he didn't, but rather the opposite.

Emery's english has absolutely nothing to do with it. Bielsa still gives his interviews in Spanish, and has a very basic grasp of the language. Pochettino did wonders at Southampton without a word of English. The English thing is such a crap excuse, got nothing to do with it, a good manager gets his ideas and instruction (if he has them) accross, it's not like they're managing league two sides where they can't afford good translators lol, or managing teams without multi-lingual players, such a bollocks excuse for Basque Mark Hughes that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom