• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Yeah but not long term, unless we have an agreement that nobody knows about.

Imagine creating a system based on Ceballos' attributes only for Madrid to say we want him back or we want 80M. You assess risk by Impact of risk x likelihood of said risk happening and for this scenario the impact would be huge and the likelihood is moderate.

It would be borderline negligence to build this team 'around' Ceballos if that makes sense.
We finished 8th last season. We have to be good in the short term just as much as we have to he good in the long term. If Xhaka gives you a 40% of top 4 while Cellabos
gives you a 60% of top 4, which player do you think Arteta picks? Do you think loan or loanee comes into play?

As for Cellabos price, that's all hypotheticals. You don't plan your squad on hypothetical scenarios. If Madrid want a lot of money, we will deal with it when the time comes otherwise there's no point fretting.

blaze_of_glory

I keep seeing this but didn’t Arteta bin off Torreira and Guendouzi for a loan player? Truth is, if Xhaka isn’t on his A-game he’s getting benched by Cellabos. I don’t think there’s anything controversial in that. Arteta hasn’t shown any preferential treatment towards our own players so far so I don’t know why he would now.
That's true. He shows no preferential treatment and benches or sells players he doesn't want with no reservations. Yet he personally intervened to ensure Xhaka stayed.

Manberg

Predator
Was one of our best players today. Done great work defensively and put in some lovely passes in attack. Best midfielder on the pitch.

Why was Xhaka subbed off for Partey instead of Ceballos? A bit worrying, Xhaka is the one to build the midfield around.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Was excellent today and it's gonna be unfair to drop any of our midfielders for Partey.

Willian should be benched first, a complete waste of space, and we should aim to keep Ceballos instead.

Think all the talk about who plays next to Partey looks pointless now, Ceballos will be pushed forward and Xhaka will play next to Partey, Willian definitely needs like a month on the bench

Manberg

Predator
Was excellent today and it's gonna be unfair to drop any of our midfielders for Partey.

Willian should be benched first, a complete waste of space, and we should aim to keep Ceballos instead.

Think all the talk about who plays next to Partey looks pointless now, Ceballos will be pushed forward and Xhaka will play next to Partey, Willian definitely needs like a month on the bench

So, Xhaka and Partey in the middle and Ceballos as a false 9 in place of Willian?
Not a bad shout actually. Could work well, and we’re not losing balance or anything like that.

blaze_of_glory

So, Xhaka and Partey in the middle and Ceballos as a false 9 in place of Willian?
Not a bad shout actually. Could work well, and we’re not losing balance or anything like that.
Wouldn't it be better to just play Xhaka, Ceballos and Partey all together as a midfield 3 and move to 4-3-3? Saka, Auba and one of Pepe/Willian/Laca up top (until Martinelli returns :cool:).

We'd still have Elneny and AMN as midfielders on the bench.

RunTheTrap

He was really good today. Split open City with two great passes. The one for the Auba shot and that little slip pass to Saka was the creativity I have needed from Xhaka. However, I’m not sure playing Cellabos, Xhaka and Partey makes much sense. Cellabos as a 10 doesn’t work and having a midfield option of the bench would help us a lot imo.

blaze_of_glory

He was really good today. Split open City with two great passes. The one for the Auba shot and that little slip pass to Saka was the creativity I have needed from Xhaka. However, I’m not sure playing Cellabos, Xhaka and Partey makes much sense. Cellabos as a 10 doesn’t work and having a midfield option of the bench would help us a lot imo.
Can't they play as just 3 CMs? I agree Ceballos is not a 10 but he can be effective as a CM who gets well involved in the attack. Does leave us a bit short on the bench having to rely on AMN as the only other option aside from Elneny though.

Manberg

Predator
Wouldn't it be better to just play Xhaka, Ceballos and Partey all together as a midfield 3 and move to 4-3-3? Saka, Auba and one of Pepe/Willian/Laca up top (until Martinelli returns :cool:).

We'd still have Elneny and AMN as midfielders on the bench.

That’s the sensible option. But in keeping up with the 3-4-3, Ceballos as a false 9 can be an option Arteta hasn’t considered .

If we do play the 4-3-3 I think that a 4-2-1-3 may be an option that gives more balance, with Xhaka and Partey as a double pivot and Ceballos as a number 8.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Not sure tbh, depends on how Ceballos performs there, but he is talented so I don't think it will be as bad as Willian. Let's say, Ceballos, Xhaka, and Saka rotate for the 2 positions, and Partey should be a default starter as a third midfielder.
I don't rate Xhaka that much but he is miles better than Willian and offers more to our attack and defense. Hard to say honestly what was the plan for Willian.

It's gonna be an interesting season for Xhaka and I'm starting to feel more relaxed about it. If he can perform against City, he can do it against anyone.
It wasn't a 10/10 performance, but I liked the simplicity in his game for a change.

Can't believe that our midfield became the strongest part of the team :D

RunTheTrap

Not sure tbh, depends on how Ceballos performs there, but he is talented so I don't think it will be as bad as Willian. Let's say, Ceballos, Xhaka, and Saka rotate for the 2 positions, and Partey should be a default starter as a third midfielder.
I don't rate Xhaka that much but he is miles better than Willian and offers more to our attack and defense. Hard to say honestly what was the plan for Willian.

It's gonna be an interesting season for Xhaka and I'm starting to feel more relaxed about it. If he can perform against City, he can do it against anyone.
It wasn't a 10/10 performance, but I liked the simplicity in his game for a change.

Can't believe that our midfield became the strongest part of the team :D
Let’s calm down. Xhaka had an absolute stinker against Liverpool just before the break. Twice in fact. Let’s see him walk before asking him to sprint.

Manberg

Predator
We have already spoken about this. You’re just being defensive. He got hooked for Cellabos because he was getting pressed. Move on and accept it.

You never explained why he had an “absolute stinker”. Which mistake did he make that costed us a goal?
The haters keep going on about the amount of mistakes he makes, yet I cannot remember the last one that resulted in an opposition goal, must’ve been a very long time ago, but you guys go on like he does it every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom