• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Azeez has barely even begun at U23 level, much less first team. The trend in football right now is that young attacking midfielders, even the most elite of prospects, are not really being bedded into the first team at top clubs until their early 20s at least: Ødegaard, Aouchiche, Gomes, Reinier, Brahim, etc. etc.

Anyways, as you point out, Azeez is not really an attacking midfielder either, he profiles as about as creative as Ceballos (think in projecting, that Ceballos at Azeez's age at lower levels was a major creative force) if we're lucky.

But if we wanted to go with youth surely we would've just signed Aouchiche or Gomes who are two elite young 10 prospects. Probably someone else I'm forgetting too.

skysports-bukayo-saka-arsenal_4923293.jpg

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚

I guess I should've said young central attacking midfielders.

Saka, despite his versatility, is not that. He's a creative winger, who is versatile and has also adapted to this interesting left midfield position Arteta has created for him. He's a bit like Lemar at his age except better in every way, lol.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I guess I should've said young central attacking midfielders.

Saka, despite his versatility, is not that. He's a creative winger, who is versatile and has also adapted to this interesting left midfield position Arteta has created for him. He's a bit like Lemar at his age except better in every way, lol.

Haha Saka is pretty comfortable as a central attacking mid I'd say but I take your point. Off the top of my head, others who broke through recent(ish) at central midfield positions at a younger age than Azeez is now though:

Jude Bellingham, Eduardo Camavinga, Sandro Tonali, Boubacar Kamara, Maxence Caqueret, Luis Florentino and Billy Gilmour.

I think you have to take each case on it's individual merit. Without suggesting this kid will be the solution to our DLP problems, I definitely don't think he needs years of U23 football before he's given a first team chance.

Still a gamble, but one with a potentially huge upside.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Jude Bellingham, Eduardo Camavinga, Sandro Tonali, Boubacar Kamara, Maxence Caqueret, Luis Florentino and Billy Gilmour.

Absolutely, which is why I’d draw a categorical difference between 10s like Aouchiche and Gomes and Reinier and Ødegaard and 8s or 5/6s like you mention. It’s the former which managers seem to want to develop a great deal nowadays before they give them the creative keys to the team.

Manberg

Predator
I’m so excited for a Xhaka Partey midfield. That’s going to be Xavi Iniesta level (in terms of epicness). Can’t wait!

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Xhaka - Elneny - Partey midfield. Finally height and physicality. Saka Auba Pepe upfront

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Well Partey is here now, so it’s only right to start the auditions for who deserves to partner him. I’d like to see Xhaka tried today and see how it goes.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
He is still starting? I thought with Ceba and Partey we'd see less of him.
It's hard to say what plans Arteta has. Given Ceballos had a minor injury concern, Xhaka may start this week. I expect us to slowly transition him to bench. And even Elneny is giving competition to Xhaka. So it won't be long before that happens.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
It's hard to say what plans Arteta has. Given Ceballos had a minor injury concern, Xhaka may start this week. I expect us to slowly transition him to bench. And even Elneny is giving competition to Xhaka. So it won't be long before that happens.
If Ceba is injured wouldn't mind Neny forming a 2 man CM with Partey with Willian ahead. Get the feeling that would give us better balance. We should see Arteta's real plan in today's game a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom