• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyres7

You said that Under was already behind Xhaka behind the ball was played, you blatantly tried to lie despite there being clear video evidence contrary to that.

So how am I meant to engage in a discussion with you about the player when it's clear you have an agenda?
I already said I was wrong about that after watching it again, they were almost side by side. That's all semantics anyway, the point was that Xhaka got too tight to Under, then got caught ball watching and gave him a running start.

Why even reply if you don't want to discuss the actual point I'm making?

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

You and @Trilly blaming him is wrong bro. Xhaka and Mustafi were in no mans land.
I'm not blaming him.

I'm saying that if want to hold people to the same ridiculous standards then Gabriel should have made the split-second decision to cover Vardy instead.

Mustafi simply was not involved in that play tbf. It was good attacking play more than anything. Side to side movement from Leicester exploited us as they caught us at the exact moment that Mustafi was retreating back to the defensive line (but not close enough to pick up Vardy for Gabriel) while Xhaka was coming up to squeeze that side of the pitch.

After that it's a perfectly weighted pass, two very fast players running and an excellent first time cross. It usually only takes around three good actions to create a goal scoring chance.

We never get to that number because somebody is always under-hitting a pass, not making a run, taking a heavy touch, making the wrong decision etc.

Last edited:

Manberg

Predator
I really don’t see what Xhaka could do in that situation. He defended well for the majority of the game. That goal came as the team pushed up and left spaces which Leicester exploited on that counter. Only thing I guess he can do is bring Under down but that could risk a red like Swansea. The level some of you go to blame Xhaka for everything is so typical of your agendas. Xhaka had a decent game otherwise and did what he was required to do. Made many clearances.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I already said I was wrong about that after watching it again, they were almost side by side. That's all semantics anyway, the point was that Xhaka got too tight to Under, then got caught ball watching and gave him a running start.

There are a lot of people who have made their mind up about Xhaka before a ball is even kicked so I tend not to bother debating with them on the player. Fair play for you admitting you made a mistake but initially I thought you were just manipulating the truth to suit your agenda.

To address your points

1. I don't think he was ball watching, if you watch the clip back he's squeezing up just like Mustafi did earlier in the clip when the ball was on the right side. That's a clear tactical instruction and it makes sense. Shrink the pitch, pressure the ball and make sure they don't have the time to play a ball into the space behind.

2. It's very good movement from Under, he fakes to come toward the ball and then spins in behind. If Xhaka doesn't go with him he picks up the ball and has a free run at our defence. As soon as Under darts in behind Xhaka responds immediately and that's why I don't get why he's getting critcism. He squeezes like he's meant to do and then responds straight away to the attackers movement. It's not his fault that Under is faster than him.

blaze_of_glory

I'm not blaming him.

I'm saying that if want to hold people to the same ridiculous standards then Gabriel should have made the split-second decision to cover Vardy instead.

Mustafi simply was not involved in that play tbf. It was good attacking play more than anything. Side to side movement from Leicester exploited us as they caught us at the exact moment that Mustafi was retreating back to the defensive line while Xhaka was coming up to squeeze that side of the pitch.

After that it's a perfectly weighted pass, two very fast players running and an excellent first time cross. It usually only takes around three good actions to create a goal scoring chance.

We never get to that number because somebody is always under-hitting a pass, not making a run, taking a heavy touch, making the wrong decision etc.
Goes to show what can happen if you fail to score. All this talk about the goal but really we shouldn't be in a position where one goal against loses us the game. We need to get the attack going.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Under was deep in our half and should have been picked up
I don't get this, what do you mean by picked him up? Surely if he man marks him tightly that gives Under even more room to get in behind? If he drops off him then he breaks the press we were attempting?

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

The lack of a cohesive press killed us there, if our back line is 10-15 yards higher up the pitch that’s probably getting flagged offside as you’re not giving Under that space to run into.
And that's what's most ironic about all of this. Xhaka was trying to do just that which I'm guessing was the instruction by Arteta.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Goes to show what can happen if you fail to score. All this talk about the goal but really we shouldn't be in a position where one goal against loses us the game. We need to get the attack going.
Leaking a goal is a bad thing no matter what. The fact that we didn't score is also bad and Laca is being bashed in his thread. But one doesn't make an excuse for another. Both are bad.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Leaking a goal is a bad thing no matter what. The fact that we didn't score is also bad and Laca is being bashed in his thread. But one doesn't make an excuse for another. Both are bad.
Not scoring is definitely worse than not conceding though.

The record for clean sheets kept in a PL season is 24? What's the record for most goals scored? 106

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Exactly this. Been reading the last couple of pages and can't for the life of me understand people who fail to see that Xhaka messed this up.

Then I don't at all understand how we set up in possession, it feels like the only true central players are Laca, Partey and Gabriel in a line. Both Laca and Gabriel are flanked by players near to them though, while Thomas was left to cover the rest of the space pretty much alone.

Arteta should never have set up like this, but Xhaka has to do better. Those two are to blame and no one else, imho.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Not scoring is definitely worse than not conceding though.

The record for clean sheets kept in a PL season is 24? What's the record for most goals scored? 106
:lol: Wow. Nice argument. A team can have only one cleansheet per game. But they can score any number of goals in a game. You may have to compare maximum number of goals conceded vs maximum number of goals scored.
Just because Xhaka is involved, we should stop complaining about defense now?:facepalm: Why would people go this far to defend a below average player like him?

blaze_of_glory

Letting in a single goal is not nearly as bad as failing to score. There's no argument here. You can win 100% of games letting in one goal. You can't win a single game if you don't score yourself.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

:lol: Wow. Nice argument. A team can have only one cleansheet per game. But they can score any number of goals in a game. You may have to compare maximum number of goals conceded vs maximum number of goals scored.
Just because Xhaka is involved, we should stop complaining about defense now?:facepalm: Why would people go this far to defend a below average player like him?
I'm not doing any of what you think/say I'm doing.

Your hatred of Xhaka just blinds you. You implied that we should treat our defence and attack with equal scrutiny but that just doesn't make sense. There's a reason why the saying 'great offence beats great defence' is used in all sport. It's the same reasons why attackers get paid more than defenders.

There will definitely be times this season where you have to hold your hands up and say that was just great offence. Leicester combined two moments of quality with excellent decision making and movement to score that goal.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
I'm not doing any of what you think/say I'm doing.

Your hatred of Xhaka just blinds you. You implied that we should treat our defence and attack with equal scrutiny but that just doesn't make sense. There's a reason why the saying 'great offence beats great defence' is used in all sport. It's the same reasons why attackers get paid more than defenders.
I just quoted the statement you made :lol: You said not scoring is definitely worse than conceding because maximum number of cleansheet is less than maximum goals scored by a team. How can those 2 stats be even compared when one of them is limited by maximum 1 per game?
0-1 is a defeat and 3-4 is also a defeat. Both have to be looked with equal scrutiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom