• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Next Captain?

Which best describes your opinion of Xhaka?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HBL

Established Member
65 consecutive games he played, that's actually unbelievable. And you can see how much we missed him tonight. Maybe the appreciation of him will begin to grow a bit?
In general he has been very good in 2018, wasn't convinced with him in his first season at all though and he was shaky at the start of last season but he was one of the better players during the meltdown at the end of last season.

If he can cut out the mistakes he'd probably be more appreciated but until then I doubt it.

blaze_of_glory

Granit Xhaka vs Huddersfield:

Most ball recoveries, most tackles, most clearances, most defensive headers, most passes, most final third passes, most slagged off player in the match thread.
People just get frustrated if things aren't going well, and there needs to be a scapegoat in the midfield. Used to be Ramsey.

Xhaka was solid as ever today. He's becoming very consistent.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Most improved under Emery by a country mile imo. I still stand by the majority of what I have said about him before, but he's really impressed me so far this season and I love it.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Was probably one of his biggest critics for a while but in recent times he's been proving me wrong. He's really matured into his role now and with Torreira in there it makes his job so much easier. Maybe those who talked about him needing the right structure and the right conditions to be at his best were right all along. Also, maybe it is unreasonable to just expect a player to be able to perform to their potential without getting much support and playing in a side without any real defensive structure. I mean last season for example it was mostly Wilshere and Ramsey in there with him both of whom's main interest was supporting the attack and bursting forward making the 3rd man runs.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I thought he was very good today. No errors, a straight up solid all-round game. Aside from the odd mistakes, he's having a very decent season all things considered. Will probably be his best season so far IMO.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
I hope we don’t see him play at the base of a midfield 3 again as long as Torreira is fit. It’s a bit like the kante/Jorginho situation at Chelsea except for the fact that Torreira is a much better fit for that role than Xhaka and it’s where he played/plays for Sampdoria/Uruguay.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
I hope we don’t see him play at the base of a midfield 3 again as long as Torreira is fit. It’s a bit like the kante/Jorginho situation at Chelsea except for the fact that Torreira is a much better fit for that role than Xhaka and it’s where he played/plays for Sampdoria/Uruguay.

The problem with Torreira which probably isnt a problem at all

Is if he starts to fancy himself a more attacking cm , he scores bicycle kicks now! :p

Then we get the same problem we had with Ramsey
And the same problem we had with Song

The new generation of footballers just isnt the same as a Gattuso, Gilberto etc etc

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
He has been good this season but I don`t think he was anything more than decent yesterday and had quite a few mistakes actually. It was his poor pass that led to Huddersfield big chance just before the break and he gave it away for their best chance second half too, just after the break. His dive was ridiculous and came after an awful touch.

Last edited:

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Other end of the stadium to me but his pass for Aubameyang’s big chance in the first half looked ridiculous.

On his weaker foot as well.
I thought that was a failed shot...
I would rather have Xhaka with Torreira without Guenduzi, felt like he didn't have enough options in front of him and his forward passes and switching play is basically his strongest weapon. Can't understand at all this tactics vs Huddersfield.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
gotta be blind or not really understand football if you ever doubted Xhaka’s class.
You thought he was class all the times he made mistakes to cost us goals? Or when he was playing like **** last year? Ok.

I know you didnt say **** like this 10 months ago.

He is playing decently right know though.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
gotta be blind or not really understand football if you ever doubted Xhaka’s class.
He's always had talent, but I think thats a silly thing to say considering he was our DLP and repeatedly made mistakes that lead to goals, literally so many times. He even made a very silly pass vs Huddersfiel which they failed to cpaitalise on. He has such a great range of passing but if he doesnt iron our mistakes from his game he will never be world class in my eyes. You expect calmness from your DLP

But anyway much improved and hopefully he can continue doing so

Jae

A whole lot of revisionism going on here as usual :lol: people forgetting he was (mostly) terrible for two seasons.

At least he's worthy of his inclusion in the team now. Still not the finished article but he's going in the right direction.

Fallout

i really like the improvements he's made this season.

i'm loving the newfound ability to shield the ball and dribble away from defenders to evade pressure. much, much better at resisting the press. i also like the defensive improvements. better positioning, better tackling.

xhaka used to be very one-dimensional, but i am fully on board with the improvements and am rating him as a player for the first time in his career here.

Brett

I really don't care for his ability if he keeps giving away the ball in dangerous situations.
He is the midfield senderos.
Great ability but you know he is going to **** up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom