• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Next Captain?

Which best describes your opinion of Xhaka?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If he really has to make a risky pass, it should be to someone in a forward position. If he misses a pass to Torreira, you're putting him out of the game and it's an easy counter.

His strengths are outweighing his weaknesses and mistakes, though.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
If he really has to make a risky pass, it should be to someone in a forward position. If he misses a pass to Torreira, you're putting him out of the game and it's an easy counter.

His strengths are outweighing his weaknesses and mistakes, though.

While I agree with this statement, the problem is that his weaknesses are in areas that are a pre-requisite for someone in his role.... Anticipation, composure, awareness, mobility.

Players who play in the spine of the team are unfortunately going to get exposed a lot more for their flaws than those who aren't.

m-due

The only way for Xakha to shut off his critics is by scoring a goal or pull a great shift; such is the player he has been since his debut. What an enigma. Go on Granit, make us proud next week.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
The only way for Xakha to shut off his critics is by scoring a goal or pull a great shift; such is the player he has been since his debut. What an enigma. Go on Granit, make us proud next week.

He’ll make Arsenal great again!

TheArsenalis

The more I watch this, the more I'm baffled. Yeah, Kolasinac should have passed it back to Mustafi, rather to Xhaka. It would be football-wise the more correct pass. But how Xhaka has managed to misjudge situation so badly as CM is beyond me.
He actually thought his midfield partner was there, on one hand that is trust. But on the other, what the ****!!

TheArsenalis

It's a brainfart but it also highlights one of his many weaknesses - his one-footedness. The ball is coming on to his right which he only uses as a last resort, which likely contributed to his willingness to let it pass.

I have been a harsh critic of Xhaka but had been coming around to the idea that maybe Emery's tactics and Torreira's presence beside him adequately covered up his deficiencies - it's true he has looked much better this season. Then another blunder like this happens and I'm back to wanting him replaced ASAP.

LB, CB, and maybe RW are bigger needs IMO, but I still want Xhaka replaced. I'm okay sticking with him until Guendouzi is ready (a year or two off IMO), as long as we are making CL and upgrading at those other positions.
Yeah its blunder, and all fault for goal has to put on him. No case for defence can be uphold or considered.

I'll say one thing after seeing it again. He ddnt try trap the ball, it was the let it run across me and then go pass it. He completely neglect it. Thinking his partner was on his blind side who already moved to create space between the two. Xhaka must've bumped his head, look like he ddnt factor in this isn't training. And opponents will try capitalise on that sloppiness.

ao9vys.jpg

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Out of interst, how many more errors directly leading to a goal would you guys be prepared to tolerate this season? One? Two? Five? Or maybe it’s just one of those things and we shouldn’t focus on it at all.

After some point we have to consider, rather than bad luck, this is the work of a Chinese betting ring. o_O

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I think that Xhaka is unlucky, because his mistakes are strangely always punished.

Why strangely? It's the Premier League. In fact the number of opportunities our opponents are getting, they should be scoring a lot more.

People only zero in on the mistakes that lead to goals but there's a lot of improvement to be done outside of those.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Defensively we're probably one of the worst out of the top 6 when it comes to reacting after we give the ball away. If a City or Liverpool midfielder given the ball away they seem to win it back pretty quickly, when we do it we're pretty much guaranteed to give the opposition a chance. You can't criticise someone like Elneny for playing it safe all the time but then slate another player because he gives the ball away the odd time. Last weekend's mistake was a mixture of a poor pass from Kolasinac, then Xhaka not reacting quick enough but also the other players not reacting well enough either. It was poor play all round.

Another one I remember is against Cardiff Xhaka tried to pick out Bellerin in a good position and an entire 30 seconds later we concede after not dealing with the Cardiff threat. Yet Xhaka was singled out for it.

In general during our unbeaten run Xhaka has been good with the peak of his performances coming in the massive game vs Liverpool, now he's apart of a collective defensive mistake and it's back to him being completely rubbish? I think people have been just waiting for the moment where they can criticise him again tbh.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Defensively we're probably one of the worst out of the top 6 when it comes to reacting after we give the ball away. If a City or Liverpool midfielder given the ball away they seem to win it back pretty quickly, when we do it we're pretty much guaranteed to give the opposition a chance. You can't criticise someone like Elneny for playing it safe all the time but then slate another player because he gives the ball away the odd time. Last weekend's mistake was a mixture of a poor pass from Kolasinac, then Xhaka not reacting quick enough but also the other players not reacting well enough either. It was poor play all round.

Another one I remember is against Cardiff Xhaka tried to pick out Bellerin in a good position and an entire 30 seconds later we concede after not dealing with the Cardiff threat. Yet Xhaka was singled out for it.

In general during our unbeaten run Xhaka has been good with the peak of his performances coming in the massive game vs Liverpool, now he's apart of a collective defensive mistake and it's back to him being completely rubbish? I think people have been just waiting for the moment where they can criticise him again tbh.
Attempting a dummy in our half and then being easily beaten by a simple one-two is far from a collective mistake mate. He’s been playing well the last few games and there’s no need to get on his back too much for the mistake but putting the blame on other players is just ridiculous.
You complain about people waiting for him to make a mistake but to some of you it seems like he can never make one. It’s always someone else’s fault.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Pinging 40 yarders for the Swiss. Where is this Xhaka for Arsenal? 7.5 to 8 out of 10 vs Belgium tonight.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Perfect timing for this video given the amount of criticism that Xhaka just got for a single mistake.

I have to say it is a nice video. But tbh, if this is the first mistake that Xhaka made, there wouldn't be much criticism. When you are in the opposition half, you can afford to lose the ball. Most forwards and attacking mids lose the ball when making forward passes and try to get creative. The chance that it ends up being a goal is very minimal.
But this is not true when you are in your own half. Mistakes mostly get punished. If you are a player at international level, you are expected to make these side/back passes without much ado. These passes should be bread and butter for a player in his position. Making these kind of silly mistakes repeatedly over a season is just unacceptable for an international player. These are the kind of mistakes which push us down the table by 2/3 positions. A player doing it twice/thrice in the entire career is excusable. But doing it multiple times every season? Not what I expect from a player in a top tier football team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom