• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Next Captain?

Which best describes your opinion of Xhaka?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoaoFelix

What's sad is that some of you guys want him to be captain. Yeah, he's a leader but he is not good enough to be captain. I mean, you have to good on the pitch, prove your worth, which he's not.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Not ones that set up a one-on-one goal scoring chance. He does it from wing to wing, sure.

Look, he's just such a liability when pressed and he's one-footed.
You must’ve forgotten (or chose to) because he makes a lot of through balls, especially long ones like that.

Can’t be bothered to find specific cases because I feel like you don’t want to be convinced but here you can be reminded of some of them.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

I have joked about him in the past, but he really isn't good enough.

He does have his weaknesses; mobility, agility etc, but I think he could mask them if he didn't make so many brain dead errors.

It's weird because he does have a good pass on him from deep, but then although he didn't make as many errors as was claimed in the match thread I distinctly remember two that left our back line completely exposed, how can we have a player like that in such a crucial position?

Pitiful.

JoaoFelix

You must’ve forgotten (or chose to) because he makes a lot of through balls, especially long ones like that.

Can’t be bothered to find specific cases because I feel like you don’t want to be convinced but here you can be reminded of some of them.

He's way too inconsistent. It's been 3 years since he joined Arsenal. So we must wait five years for him to become the player he was supposed to be? When you look at Bernado Silva, Kante, or even Fabinho, they had an immediate impact on their team. Same goes for Ndidi who's clearly better than Xhaka. He wasn't that bad in the first half and you want to know why because Willock was pretty good defensively. He's the kind of player who needs to rely on someone.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

He's way too inconsistent. It's been 3 years since he joined Arsenal. So we must wait five years for him to become the player he was supposed to be? When you look at Bernado Silva, Kante, or even Fabinho, they had an immediate impact on their team. Same goes for Ndidi who's clearly better than Xhaka. He wasn't that bad in the first half and you want to know why because Willock was pretty good defensively. He's the kind of player who needs to rely on someone.

Ultimately yes....I mean let's say Xhaka was intelligent football wise; well then he's still inconsistent, slow and lacks agility. That's a lot of weaknesses in such a key area.

Compare it to someone like Ramsey when he actually sat at the base of the MF three (12/13, 13/14 and 14/15). I mean even Ramsey's technique isn't untouchable but the difference is night and day.

Ramsey cut out the silly errors, could shepherd the ball, score, was agile and could get back to defend......AND was hard working. We conceeded 37, 41 and 36 those seasons; albeit Ramsey was out for half of the 13/14 season but yeah it's a key area and it needs reliability and consistency.

JoaoFelix

Ultimately yes....I mean let's say Xhaka was intelligent football wise; well then he's still inconsistent, slow and lacks agility. That's a lot of weaknesses in such a key area.

Compare it to someone like Ramsey when he actually sat at the base of the MF three (12/13, 13/14 and 14/15). I mean even Ramsey's technique isn't untouchable but the difference is night and day.

Ramsey cut out the silly errors, could shepherd the ball, score, was agile and could get back to defend......AND was hard working. We conceeded 37, 41 and 36 those seasons; albeit Ramsey was out for half of the 13/14 season but yeah it's a key area and it needs reliability and consistency.

Xhaka play a bit deeper, so it's not fair to compare him to Ramsey. You should compare Xhaka to Ruben Neves, Ndidi, Fernandinho or even Rodri who is going to be one of the best DM in the PL, no doubt about that. I can name 6 or 9 DM who are better than Xhaka, just in the PL. What's scary he has been there for a while. We still waiting for his breakthrough season. When you compare to Fabinho, who joined Liverpool last year, he completly changed their midfield. Xhaka was hyped to be the new Xabi Alonso, i'm still waiting for him to turn into Xabi alonso

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Xhaka play a bit deeper, so it's not fair to compare him to Ramsey. You should compare Xhaka to Ruben Neves, Ndidi, Fernandinho or even Rodri who is going to be one of the best DM in the PL, no doubt about that. I can name 6 or 9 DM who are better than Xhaka, just in the PL. What's scary he has been there for a while. We still waiting for his breakthrough season. When you compare to Fabinho, who joined Liverpool last year, he completly changed their midfield. Xhaka was hyped to be the new Xabi Alonso, i'm still waiting for him to turn into Xabi alonso

Yeah fair enough, I suppose Ramsey was more the B2B whereas Xhaka is deep lying midfielder (even playmaker), though honestly I'd even trust Ramsey in a deeper role more than Xhaka.

Yeah overall I'm disappointed with Xhaka, but I guess we're stuck with home for one more season at the least

RacingPhoton

Established Member
He makes these kinds of passes regularly in the Premier League.
In PL, he does it regularly to someone who is running on the wings and is already marked by a defender. In the video which you posted, Eddie's marker screwed up. Doesn't happen in competitive matches that often. As already pointed out, he takes that amount of time before he decides to make the lob that it is totally useless for the player who receives it.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He wasn't good yesterday but he played some really good passes despite this. Vintage Xhaka.

He needs to be replaced IMO but he won't be.

JoaoFelix

He wasn't good yesterday but he played some really good passes despite this. Vintage Xhaka.

He needs to be replaced IMO but he won't be.
Just compare him to Fabinho, etc and you'll see our exceptation are very low. We are Arsenal, we're supposed to be one of the biggest club in the world. We used to have guys such as Viera, Gilbero Silva, Petit, even Song was good for us. You know what, For me he didn't even reach Coquelin's level when cazorla was there. That makes me sick to think that guy is gonna be our captain. There is a ton of DM better than him. A ton.

Mraven

I don’t understand the hate directed to him. I know he’s frustrating, but why not focus on all the players that have been unable to take his place?

He is crucial to our game. Have been since Cazorla got injured and will be next season

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
I don’t understand the hate directed to him. I know he’s frustrating, but why not focus on all the players that have been unable to take his place?

He is crucial to our game. Have been since Cazorla got injured and will be next season

How many midfielders have come and gone that have failed to take his place during his three years here?

JoaoFelix

How can a man so inconsistent be crucial? He's way too inconsistent. You're telling me you're happy with him? Just compare him to Fabinho. You'll understand what the word " crucial " means.

JoaoFelix

Mustafi, Özil, Xhaka are the ones that should go.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Lacazette seems to be a leader, plus you can sense how passionate he is. And he's very good on the pitch.
Okay, actually never considered that.
My options would be :
Holding (Bit young right now)
Leno (Same as above)

Honestly I feel as a leader Xhaka wpould do well. It's the concentration in his game I worry about. The actual football bit..

JoaoFelix

Okay, actually never considered that.
My options would be :
Holding (Bit young right now)
Leno (Same as above)

Honestly I feel as a leader Xhaka wpould do well. It's the concentration in his game I worry about. The actual football bit..
Yes, he's a leader but you have to be a leader on the pitch too which he isnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom