• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Xhak Off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
I think Arteta will keep going with Partey-Ødegaard it's interesting partnership and make us more better going forward but do put high pressure on Partey doing the all midfield job because Ødegaard will mostly play more advanced and not help the defense much.
I think he might in the easier games. What i don't like about it is it means ESR Central and Saka LW. Essentially, we'll be playing 3 players out of their best position - Ødegaard - CAM, ESR - LW, Saka - RW

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Honestly the audacity of this fanbase. Have a meltdown everytime Xhaka is in the line up and now have a meltdown when he is injured. What a bunch.
Its crazy I'm not fan of him but you have to admit he important for us despite the foul discipline

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Do you have stats for matches when Xhaka-Partey started together, cause Xhaka looked like the better player whenever that pairing played together, but it wasn't too many times. From my memory Partey was injured for half the season and Xhaka was out on red card/playing as a left back for a large part as well.
Not sure if there is a website which can produce that kind of stats. The best we can do is to do a ballpark comparison on transfermmarkt which shows results in matches:

Considering PL performance, I am ignoring the first few matches Partey played because he had just joined and was immediately out due to injuries.
Matches 19-23 where both started - 2 wins, 1 draw and 2 losses
Matches 27-33(Skipping 32 and 30 as one of the 2 players did not play full 90) - 2 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss
These were the stretches where they played together for a longer period of time. So no. The Partey-Xhaka combination is overrated by his fans. Partey is a terrific player and he can do a good job carrying the midfield on his own. Xhaka is not even close to him. Not sure what made you think he was the better player.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Xhaka should be a back-up to Partey rather than a regular starting partner to Partey. Partey could start with Øde, Lokonga or AMN depending upon the opponent. But with Xhaka's injury, it is important that Partey stays fit. Xhaka is necessary when Partey goes to AFCON though.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Big miss, it'd a massive ask for Lokonga to come in, first season in the PL, and to put in consistent performances. I reckon we will see ElNeny get a lot of game time till Xhaka is back unfortunately.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
thought it could be much worse than that with Xhaka incredible body strength he'll be back in month. the important news no surgery is required . Lokonga and Niles now have great chance to prove themselves in 1-2 months.
He will play Elneny

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
If the treatment go well specially no surgery needed it depend on his knee and how quick it could recover he could be back quicker than expected. This is his biggest injury in his career tells you how strong his body is and it was unfortunate injury

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
People are having a hard time grasping the fact that Xhaka for all his faults, is still our second best midfielder and his loss hurts us.
It only hurts us because we refuse to give anyone else consistent opportunities while he's around, not because he's an elite footballer. That needs to change.

Jackie_Treehorn

Player:Martinelli
Regardless of how we feel about Xhaka’s quality or lack thereof, we’re thin in midfield. So the silver lining here is no European football keeps the fixture list relatively light. Looks like we have about 4 fewer matches over the next 8 weeks and Lokonga or AMN won’t have to play in any Thursday-in-Bosnia-Sunday-in-Newcastle turnarounds.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Hard luck Xhaka, hopefully you make a strong comeback.

To me, Ødegaard in the Xhaka role is an upgrade actually. Not only does he have a passing range, but he is able to turn and is press resistant and can press opposition midfielders. So as we saw in the Burnley game, can Ode sit deep with Partey and they can interchange in joining the attack.

For more security though, I would introduce Lokonga as a number 4, with AMN/White/Elneny as backup to that. For this though, I'd still like both ESR and Saka to remain in the side and for that they need to add goals.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Hopefully AMN or Lokonga can step up. Especially for AMN now is his chance, but I guess Lokonga is already ahead of him.

Against the lesser sides I guess we will see Ødegaard/ESR as 8s.

We really need to look after Partey. Don't play him in League Cup.
AMN is bang average. Doesn't have the passing range to play CM.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Hard luck Xhaka, hopefully you make a strong comeback.

To me, Ødegaard in the Xhaka role is an upgrade actually. Not only does he have a passing range, but he is able to turn and is press resistant and can press opposition midfielders. So as we saw in the Burnley game, can Ode sit deep with Partey and they can interchange in joining the attack.

For more security though, I would introduce Lokonga as a number 4, with AMN/White/Elneny as backup to that. For this though, I'd still like both ESR and Saka to remain in the side and for that they need to add goals.
Lost the ball a fair few time vs Sp**s. I prefer him higher up, playing him deeper also means ESR CAM rather than LW.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Lost the ball a fair few time vs Sp**s. I prefer him higher up, playing him deeper also means ESR CAM rather than LW.

Yeah I noticed that too, he would still need more ball retention if he stays deep, and I think Ode has that in him. I will note that its not necessarily his final position, but its an option depending on our tactical setup.

As for ESR, not too bothered where he starts, because he looks for space and will be part of the attacking five regardless. He may start as AM but he is likely to be all across the front line.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
That's a tough one for Xhaka, 3 months is a long time. Hopefully he has a speedy recovery as we'll need him in January. We're also stuck because we didn't sign any other midfielders other than Lokonga. Still, this is a good opportunity for him and a lifeline of an opportunity for AMN to prove himself - as long as Arteta doesn't **** it up by playing Elneny.

TriniGunner

I think we're all missing the fact that Xhaka AND Partey are very intelligent footballers. It's no secret that when they play together, our midfield stats are good and attacking players have a lot more freedom to move forward. Let's not also forget that every one of our managers have spoken about his leadership qualities in the dressing room and on the pitch during games. We may not love him, but he's very important to our current midfield setup. What we need to do now is hope that Lokonga or AMN can step into the role and partner with Partey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom