• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Xhak Off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
There was this one as well, Ashley Barnes against Leeds.

He only got a yellow for that. Look at how high that tackle is!

Xhaka's was a definite red too but the double standards are sickening.
Its incredible really xhaka reputation causing this more than anything we never came out call out the refs so they'll keep sending him off whenever he make these type of tackles

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I accept that Xhaka is a better player than either at this stage. But there's potential with Lokonga and AMN and room for growth. We know what we're getting with Xhaka, he's not going to become more dynamic or improve his mobility or speed of decision making and those rush of blood to the head moments are always going to be there.
Would love to hear more about how Xhaka is better than Lokonga at any age

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I sent you data to show him and Neves are essentially the same player, if anything Xhaka had the better stats. I didn't say we can't upgrade Xhaka, i was all for signing Camavinga, Locatelli, Aouar, Bissouma.

I'm with you on this - everyone's so fed up with Xhaka now that they are underrating him. If you put up a poll now you'd find people voting for Azeez or Patino to start ahead of Granit which is absurd - however good they turn out to be.

I came round to Neves a bit but they are really similar players. Neves is a little more attacking and also surprisingly good in the tackle but he's not levels better than Xhaka. Definitely not more mobile for example. Would have been nice if Xhaka moved on this summer but we are where we are. If Partey stays fit they could form a decent partnership whilst Lokonga builds some league experience.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Such a dirty team. But the media portray them as some kind underdog.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

One thing I’ll say is without Xhaka, we lose our left side bias. Tierney no longer becomes our primary source of attacks. The attacks are a lot more varied. I read that this is the first game where Pepe was on the ball the most. For better or for worse it showed.
Yeah I was surprised to see that he had the most final third touches, final third passes and touches in the box but it’s soon to put it all down to Xhaka I think.

Our left side bias also reduces when Partey plays (which is hardly ever) and also when Ødegaard plays we’ve rarely had those two in the same lineup but I feel it’s more to do with that (and Ben White basically playing as a false CM) than Xhaka not being available.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Unpopular opinion but we should go back to playing him at LB. Instead of using a LB as a winger we might as well play a real winger there.
Get Pepe or Saka at the end of those balls and we immediately look more dangerous in attack. Let Xhaka start off from LB and then step up in midfield when in possesion.

Tomi White Gabi Xhaka
Partey
Øde ESR
Saka Auba Pepe​
In attack-> 235
White Gabi
Tomi Partey Xhaka
Saka Øde Auba ESR Pepe
This is Xhaka's natural position anyway as a left sided DM. Worth trying at home against lesser teams so we can get our attack going imo.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Unpopular opinion but we should go back to playing him at LB. Instead of using a LB as a winger we might as well play a real winger there.
Get Pepe or Saka at the end of those balls and we immediately look more dangerous in attack. Let Xhaka start off from LB and then step up in midfield when in possesion.

Tomi White Gabi Xhaka
Partey
Øde ESR
Saka Auba Pepe​
In attack-> 235
White Gabi
Tomi Partey Xhaka
Saka Øde Auba ESR Pepe
This is Xhaka's natural position anyway as a left sided DM. Worth trying at home against lesser teams so we can get our attack going imo.
Dropping Tierney?

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Dropping Tierney?
Yes. There's more goals/assists in one of Saka or Pepe playing there instead of KT. They can do more than kick and run then cross. Transition will be quicker by having a winger up field as soon as we win the ball also.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
feel when playing there week in week out & not just the odd lineup surprise would just become a target for wingers... that Wenger quote dug up recently was bang on :lol:

“He’s not naturally a great tackler,”

“In his decision making he is quite intelligent on the pitch. But it’s more the way he tackles that is not really convincing. He doesn’t master well the technique. I would encourage him not to tackle, to stay on his feet. Tackling is a technique you learn at a young age. You can improve it but when you are face-to-face with somebody, it’s better you stay up.

“You have to accept that he can be punished for these kinds of tackles now. He has to learn from that. Unfortunately we will lose him for four games in a very important period of the season. Hopefully we will get away with it.”

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice

Tomi White Gabi Xhaka
Partey
Øde ESR
Saka Auba Pepe​
In attack-> 235
White Gabi
Tomi Partey Xhaka
Saka Øde Auba ESR Pepe

These days though athleticism, pace and quick progressive play are maybe the main attributes you need in a FB. Xhaka lacks all of that

You make do with him as a fill in at LB during an injury crisis or what not but I wouldn't like to see him there any more than that personally. Particularly given our RB area is more defensively minded as it stands. We'd be hamstrung on both flanks.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

If anyone makes a "Dycheball" comp on YouTube/twitter, I expect it to just be 5 minutes of crossing and 5 minutes of tackles like this.

Disgusting club.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻

Tomi White Gabi Xhaka
Partey
Øde ESR
Saka Auba Pepe​
In attack-> 235
White Gabi
Tomi Partey Xhaka
Saka Øde Auba ESR Pepe
I wouldn't drop Tierney or Tavares to play Xhaka there. His good points will be wasted if he won't play the ball quickly and he's marked now. The opponent will just stick a body on him and force him to hoof or pass sideways. He should be done as a starter here.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
These days though athleticism, pace and quick progressive play are maybe the main attributes you need in a FB. Xhaka lacks all of that

You make do with him as a fill in at LB during an injury crisis or what not but I wouldn't like to see him there any more than that personally. Particularly given our RB area is more defensively minded as it stands. We'd be hamstrung on both flanks.
City have been playing with two inverted fullbacks for years, would you say they've been hamstrung on both flanks as well?

Xln

Get me Jesus on the phone 📲

Only in England refs can just sleep during work and get away with it.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Yes. There's more goals/assists in one of Saka or Pepe playing there instead of KT. They can do more than kick and run then cross. Transition will be quicker by having a winger up field as soon as we win the ball also.
Not sure about this. KT is one of the best LB's in the league. No need to over think things.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Not sure about this. KT is one of the best LB's in the league. No need to over think things.
But not one of the best wingers in the league, that's the point. We are using him as a winger right now with a left sided DM covering for him.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Tomi White Gabi Xhaka
Partey
Øde ESR
Saka Auba Pepe​
In attack-> 235
White Gabi
Tomi Partey Xhaka
Saka Øde Auba ESR Pepe
It’s not as unpopular as you think, Arteta swore up and down we lost the Villarreal tie because he couldn’t do just that. Still insisted on it a couple weeks after as well lol.

I’d just stick with Tierney myself but you’re definitely making sense. It’s not like Tierney defends nowadays anyways, so playing Xhaka LB is not as detrimental as many think.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
It’s not as unpopular as you think, Arteta swore up and down we lost the Villarreal tie because he couldn’t do just that. Still insisted on it a couple weeks after as well lol.

I dunno if he stumbled across a better way to use Xhaka or him getting injured just before the match after he mostly prepared with this approach I don’t know.

I’d just stick with Tierney myself but you’re definitely making sense. It’s not like Tierney defends nowadays anyways, so playing Xhaka LB is not as detrimental as many think.
Xhaka + a LB that will play as a winger vs Xhaka and both Saka/Pepe on the pitch. In both instances Xhaka will play almost the same role. There's more to win than lose there imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom