• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Xhak Off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
City have been playing with two inverted fullbacks for years, would you say they've been hamstrung on both flanks as well?

It's fine wanting to play like Man City. The problem is we don't generally have the quality or depth of players to play the way they do.

Being a B-Tech Man City appears to be one of most Arsenal fans main gripes with Arteta.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
But not one of the best wingers in the league, that's the point. We are using him as a winger right now with a left sided DM covering for him.
I see what you mean - essentially abandon the LB altogether and have an attacking wing back / winger.

It's an interesting idea, but I still wouldn't put Xhaka at the back. Saka was very effective there but Tierney is excellent when he's on form as well. I think it's the tactics hindering him at the moment, he's getting blamed for the "cross spam" when we just look unbalanced as a team. Tierney had some massive matches last season and we really missed him when he was out injured.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
I liked him in pieriods, never really got the applause he deserved for a lot of good performances in big matches, but ultimataely he has been a dud. Wenger could have Kante instead, but his damn morals got in the way

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

What the difference between this and Xhaka against city? Xhaka act stupid and maybe deserve his red even if he get the ball and not cancelo ankle but sometimes red cards he getting is ridiculously soft and oh it's the same referee it's basically same kind of tackle . I just don't understand anymore the English refs are entering the corruption stage and im not really joking
One thing is 100% clear. Had Xhaka, when he did that tackle against Man City, worn a Burnley shirt and been named Tarkowski it would have been a yellow at worst.

The referee when he came running first in the game against City, was grabbing the yellow cards and it wasn’t until he recognized it was Xhaka that he went for the red. You can see his hand movements as he runs towards the situation. Have a quick look at the reply and you see it. I think I posted something about this when it happened.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I liked him in pieriods, never really got the applause he deserved for a lot of good performances in big matches, but ultimataely he has been a dud. Wenger could have Kante instead, but his damn morals got in the way
Are you just trolling when you say morals?

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Unpopular opinion but we should go back to playing him at LB. Instead of using a LB as a winger we might as well play a real winger there.
Get Pepe or Saka at the end of those balls and we immediately look more dangerous in attack. Let Xhaka start off from LB and then step up in midfield when in possesion.

Tomi White Gabi Xhaka
Partey
Øde ESR
Saka Auba Pepe​
In attack-> 235
White Gabi
Tomi Partey Xhaka
Saka Øde Auba ESR Pepe
This is Xhaka's natural position anyway as a left sided DM. Worth trying at home against lesser teams so we can get our attack going imo.
Because our left side would deserve to get absolutely murdered by not playing a defender of any description on that flank. That’s the idea behind playing a defender who can attack. Xhaka has no business lining up as a defender when we have LB’s who can run and tackle. Makes zero logical sense imo.

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
One thing is 100% clear. Had Xhaka, when he did that tackle against Man City, worn a Burnley shirt and been named Tarkowski it would have been a yellow at worst.

The referee when he came running first in the game against City, was grabbing the yellow cards and it wasn’t until he recognized it was Xhaka that he went for the red. You can see his hand movements as he runs towards the situation. Have a quick look at the reply and you see it. I think I posted something about this when it happened.
Referee is obviously an Arsenal fan. Man be thinking Arsenal have already lost this game I need to help them get back on their feet. Best thing I can do is send Granit Xavi off so they have a better chance of banking 9 points before he comes back. Thanks ref.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
I am reading that post right...drop Tierney for Xhaka?

I mean...what the ****?
Nope, not drop Tierney for Xhaka, drop Tierney for a front five of Pepe, ESR, Auba, Øde, Saka. You might ask why don't we just play KT in the inverted role instead of Xhaka but I think we'd lose too much in build up and support in midfield for Partey if we did that.
Because our left side would deserve to get absolutely murdered by not playing a defender of any description on that flank. That’s the idea behind playing a defender who can attack. Xhaka has no business lining up as a defender when we have LB’s who can run and tackle. Makes zero logical sense imo.
Have you watched any of City's games since Pep took over? They've been playing with a left footed midfielders at left back for years now It's nothing new. City are vulnerable on the break like you'd expect them to be but make up for it by keeping the ball and making the most out of it in attack when they have it. He did well enough there during the injury crisis imo I think he'd be able to handle it. A fast winger like Chukweeze didn't cause that much trouble against him iirc.

Like I said in my original post I think it would be worth trying against smaller teams at the emirates where we are expected to have more possession. It's a good way to pack the 11 with more firepower imo.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Well, it was fun not having to watch him play.

But he will be starting in the next league game, sadly.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
Easy to win football games when your players don't hit the ball onto opponents to make you concede & claim stuff like "that's football".

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
He's coming home, he's coming home, Granit, Granit's coming home, he's coming home, he's coming home, Granit, Granit's coming home

Everyone seems to know the score
They've seen it all before
They just know
They're so sure
That Xhaka's gonna throw it away
Gonna blow it away
But I know he can play
'Cause I remember

Three Xhakas on a shirt
Mike Dean's Red still gleaming
Xhaka years of hurt
Never stopped me dreaming