• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Granit Xhaka (Out)

Will Manberg/Bergman complete the five stages of grief before the window opens?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Very fair fee. Fingers crossed the Lucas to Italy story ends up with a bid as well.

You dont often get an opportunity to rebuild you complete midfield & have the luxury of half a season to get ready for 20/21.

Torreira's performance today means he should not be sold. We can't replace Xhaka and Torreira with two better players in January.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
You could replace Lucas with a better DM... Its a cheap & easy position. The one up against him today that looked pretty solid, athletic & positioned well.

Im not Xhaka biggest fan but he is the one harder to replace.

I'd agree Xhaka is harder to replace but you have to spend 40m+ to replace Torreira. I'd rather not sell both in January if I'm honest.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
You could replace Lucas with a better DM... Its a cheap & easy position. The one up against him today that looked pretty solid, athletic & positioned well.

Im not Xhaka biggest fan but he is the one harder to replace.

Arsenal fans haven't seen anything near the best of Lucas Torreira because he hasn't been played at the base of a 3-man midfield as he was at Sampdoria. I think it would be a huge mistake to give up on him before he gets that opportunity. I'd like to see him get a good run playing behind Ceballos and Guendouzi (or somebody).

Xhaka needs to go. He has a lot of good qualities, but he's not mobile, he makes too many horrific mistakes and he now has attitude problems. As I said the other day, if Arsenal can get €25 million for him they should take the money and run.

zilfy

I think if we hang onto Lucas he'll be worth 10-20 mil more in the market than he is now. Under a proper coach he will shine, but because of his mismanagement his value will be too low right now

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Xhaka is respected in Germany and is worth over 25m. As a stop gap, I'd happily put Luiz in midfield and replace Xhaka in the summer. Ideally we bring in a more mobile midfielder with technical ability.
Stop using the word mobility. Mobility is not needed in beautiful possession passing football. If it does, willock or guendouzi would’ve been in the starting lineup.

We need skillful players with good technique.

Arteta’s tactics is similar to Guardiola’s. You don’t see busquets or xavi running around like a fool on the pitch, they have something called intelligence and discipline in positioning.

Last edited:

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Arteta’s tactics is similar to Guardiola’s. You don’t see busquets or xavi running around like a fool on the pitch, they have something called intelligence and discipline in positioning.

You can have all the intelligence and discipline in positioning you want, but if you don't have the mobility to get to the areas where you need to be those skills are largely diminished. Yaya Toure's career was basically over at City when Pep signed on because he was too slow and lacked the mobility to be successful in Guardiola's system.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
You can have all the intelligence and discipline in positioning you want, but if you don't have the mobility to get to the areas where you need to be those skills are largely diminished. Yaya Toure's career was basically over at City when Pep signed on because he was too slow and lacked the mobility to be successful in Guardiola's system.
Guardiola sold prime Yaya from Barcelona to City. He never wanted a Yaya (a box to box) in his team.

Yaya once said in an interview that, when he was in Barcelona, he had to stay in his tactical position, doing the dirty work, and not allowed to roam around.

So Yaya would still get dropped in City regardless of his decline in mobility.

There is no use of a box to box in Guardiola’s system (the beautiful possession passing style, the correct way to play football). In modern world football, players are played in their assigned position with tactical discipline. Only in England, things are so strange that sh** box to box would get praised.

Last edited:

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Guardiola sold prime Yaya from Barcelona to City. He never wanted a Yaya (a box to box) in his team.

Yaya once said in an interview that, when he was in Barcelona, he had to stay in his tactical position, doing the dirty work, and not allowed to roam around.

So Yaya would still get dropped in City regardless of his decline in mobility.

There is no use of a box to box in Guardiola’s system (the beautiful possession passing style, the correct way to play football). In modern world football, players are played in their assigned position with tactical discipline. Only in England, things are so strange that sh** box to box would get praised.

Totally disagree to large bits.
Firstly, Guardiolas football is certainly not the most entertaining to watch, but quite far from it actually. Klopp's football is way more entertaining, Wenger's football was way more entertaining, Heynkes.. - with Guardiola you often get playing around the box of the opponent for 70 minutes.
Bayern was good under him but much more boring in comparison to Heynkes.

Secondly, you make it seem like Yaya Toure was some headless chicken that had no discipline whatsoever even though he was the most complete midfielder I've ever seen.
It just does not speak for Guardiola, if he has one structure and one structure only such that he cannot incorporate a player every team in the world would put on their first team.
Also, whilst setting a lot of records with his system, always coaching the best sides on the planet who make this work in the first place, it is by no means flawless either. No system is, it always depends on the opponent and Pep's team has been outplayed more than once as well.

Eventually, even though the PL has had many years where the tactical side of the game was very sub-par, which made the football look a bit more chaotic at times, this has completely changed over the years with pretty much all of the top managers coming here.
Now, as a mix of financially outmuscleing every other league which results in having the best managers and players and also still having the physicality and directness it tends to have, it's pretty much the well-rounded package.

No team is just 'kick and rush' these days, every team has some top drawer players on their hands.

Last edited:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Firstly, Guardiolas football is certainly not the most entertaining to watch, but quite far from it actually. Klopp's football is way more entertaining, Wenger's football was way more entertaining, Henkeys.. - with Guardiola you often get playing around the box of the opponent for 70 minutes.

Secondly, you make it seem like Yaya Toure was some headless chicken that had no discipline whatsoever even though he was the most complete midfielder I've ever seen.
It just does not speak for Guardiola, if he has one structure and one structure only such that he cannot incorporate a player every team in the world would put on their first team.
Also, whilst setting a lot of records with his system, always coaching the best sides on the planet who make this work in the first place, it is by no means flawless either. No system is, it always depends on the opponent and Pep's team has been outplayed more than once as well.

Eventually, even though the PL has had many years where the tactical side of the game was very sub-par, which made the football look a bit more chaotic at times, this has completely changed over the years with pretty much all of the top managers coming here.
Now, as a mix of financially outmuscleing every other league which results in having the best managers and players and also still having the physicality and directness it tends to have, it's pretty much the well-rounded package.

No team is just 'kick and rush' these days, every team has some top drawer players on their hands.
Yes. What you called “complete” players are all headless chicken sh**. They try to do bits of everything, but not particularly good at anything. Tactically speaking they are always in the wrong position.

Scholes, Xavi, Pirlo, Alsonso, Kroos are f**king genius. Lampard, Garrard, Ballack, Touré are f**king sh**.

Tactically speaking. If a midfielder drives the ball into the opponent box and the opponent gets the ball. What will the opponent going to do in transition? Exploit the space the in the midfield of course.

If your midfielders help to defend at the side of the pitch and loses the ball. What will your opponent do? Attack the space they left in the middle.

If your team suddenly wins the ball and your midfielders are not in the middle, what will your team do in transition? Your team will have less passing options in the middle and forced to go long.

Last edited:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Firstly, Guardiolas football is certainly not the most entertaining to watch, but quite far from it actually. Klopp's football is way more entertaining, Wenger's football was way more entertaining, Henkeys.. - with Guardiola you often get playing around the box of the opponent for 70 minutes.

Guardiola’s football is the most entertaining football to watch. Klopp is tactically clever but on entertaining level, it is just about the intensity of the press and the quick tempo he plays.

Guardiola’s teams have complete control of the game. The play amazing one touch football and one two passes, what most beautiful is those clever genius through ball that cuts through the defence. Their players are technically gifted so you also see some of the skills show in the match. The movement of the players are also very clever and well planned.

Last edited:

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Stop using the word mobility. Mobility is not needed in beautiful possession passing football. If it does, willock or guendouzi would’ve been in the starting lineup.

We need skillful players with good technique.

Biggest myth in football that Xavi didn't move around and Busquets was/is incredibly mobile. I agree intelligence is also key, but what about transitional and winning the ball back? You seem to be advocating a midfield of Xhaka and Özil as it would be very technical.

Look, it is not a dichotomy as a midfield doesn't have to be intelligent or mobile, but for a high press system as operated by the best 2 teams in this country, you need mobile players.

Liverpool don't have exceptionally technical midfielders, but boy do they get around. City do have technical midfielders and Fernandinho, Rodri, Gundogan, KBD, Silva and Foden cover ground.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Biggest myth in football that Xavi didn't move around and Busquets was/is incredibly mobile. I agree intelligence is also key, but what about transitional and winning the ball back? You seem to be advocating a midfield of Xhaka and Özil as it would be very technical.

Look, it is not a dichotomy as a midfield doesn't have to be intelligent or mobile, but for a high press system as operated by the best 2 teams in this country, you need mobile players.

Liverpool don't have exceptionally technical midfielders, but boy do they get around. City do have technical midfielders and Fernandinho, Rodri, Gundogan, KBD, Silva and Foden cover ground.
I do not mean busquets or xavi stand still when they play. Of course there will be some degree of mobility, but they do not based their game on that, you wouldn’t say they are box to box midfielders.

You can make a lot of movement/run as much as you can within your assigned tactical area to create space. That is absolutely fine. But it will be stupid to move all around the pitch and leave gaps behind like most box to box would.

Last edited:

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
I do not mean busquets or xavi stand still when they play. Of course there will be some degree of mobility, but they do not based their game on that, you wouldn’t say they are box to box midfielders.

You can make a lot of movement/run as much as you can within your assigned tactical area to create space. That is absolutely fine. But it will be stupid to move all around the pitch and leave gaps behind like most box to box would.

In case you haven't realised, Arsenal do not play in La Liga. I'll wait for successful English teams of the last decade or even since the Xavi/Iniesta era that haven't had a highly mobile midfield. Let's start with Essien, Makalele and Lampard.

I'll wait...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom