• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Xhak Off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
He makes best 11 because no one gets a chance when he is around. Lokonga can establish himself now
This is best case scenario, but it's definitely possible. Hope we avoid further injuries and this is how it pans out.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

He makes best 11 because no one gets a chance when he is around. Lokonga can establish himself now
That’s why I said a bit. Time for everybody's favourites Partey and Lokonga to show what they are made of now, the floor is theirs.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

That’s why I said a bit. Time for everybody's favourites Partey and Lokonga to show what they are made of now, the floor is theirs.
My fear is the longer xhaka is off the more overrated he will become. Always happens with sh1t players

Macho

Dusted 🔻

My fear is the longer xhaka is off the more overrated he will become. Always happens with sh1t players
If Xhaka is as bad as everyone says and Partey/Lokonga are as sick as everybody thinks, that doesn’t happen.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
It's an unfortunate injury for Xhaka but even with him, we were light in midfield. Elneny is done and the question marks remain over Xhaka. With Partey's injury record, we started the season hoping AMN, Lokonga and Ode could muddle through. Guendouzi has had another fall out at Marseille, so I say get him back if possible. This was the main area that needed work and in reality, Edu left us short.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
This is Patiño's chance. I would start him against Leeds.

We are desperately light on passers in central midfield. Thomas is the best passer we have and he's a 7/10. An injury to him and we're truly ****ed. Elneny and AMN are 2 and 1/10 respectively as passers, they cannot be played in any PL game...if it comes to that we'll have to go with ESR and Ode as 8s which is going to be quite a stretch against more difficult opposition, and is going to make it hard for us to construct without issue against teams that press high and well and battle us for possession.

Time to throw Charlie to the wolves like Wilshere in the first game of 10/11 and see if he sinks or swims.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
This is Patiño's chance. I would start him against Leeds.

We are desperately light on passers in central midfield. Thomas is the best passer we have and he's a 7/10. An injury to him and we're truly ****ed. Elneny and AMN are 2 and 1/10 respectively as passers, they cannot be played in any PL game...if it comes to that we'll have to go with ESR and Ode as 8s which is going to be quite a stretch against more difficult opposition, and is going to make it hard for us to construct without issue against teams that press high and well and battle us for possession.

Time to throw Charlie to the wolves like Wilshere in the first game of 10/11 and see if he sinks or swims.

I think the club think it's too soon for him, guy didn't even make the bench against Wimbeldon.

He's the future though, I was baffled why the club didn't sign a proper number 8 in the summer, especially with the signs that Arteta is moving to a 433, but now I think maybes it's due to this guy and not blocking his road into the team down the road. You can't take much from youth football, but from the clips of him and from what people have said, he looks to be an elite talent. His passing range and vision is ridiculous.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
I think the club think it's too soon for him, guy didn't even make the bench against Wimbeldon.
I think the club are right, tbf, he's lightweight and in this Premier League at this level it's a big ask for him...Wilshere was in a much weaker PL and even that rookie season of Wilshere's was rather overrated (his stats / overall contribution weren't that impressive, his positioning and tactical intelligence was extremely suspect and left us exposed often, but we rated him highly for his obvious talent and precocity).

But injuries force our hand. And a Lokonga--AMN/Elneny or Thomas--AMN/Elneny midfield in the case of an injury to either of them is completely unviable, and we'd be better off with a rushed and not completely ready Patiño than those midfields, which are just wholly deficient from a construction / passing / ability on the ball perspective for any PL side. We already saw it with Lokonga and AMN against Norwich, literally the last place team at home, where Norwich's central midfield was firmly superior.

So no choice but to start blooding him now against Leeds, IMO, in anticipation of that inevitability (a Thomas or Lokonga unavailability).

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think the club are right, tbf, he's lightweight and in this Premier League at this level it's a big ask for him...Wilshere was in a much weaker PL and even that rookie season of Wilshere's was rather overrated (his stats / overall contribution weren't that impressive, his positioning and tactical intelligence was extremely suspect and left us exposed often, but we rated him highly for his obvious talent and precocity).

But injuries force our hand. And a Lokonga--AMN/Elneny or Thomas--AMN/Elneny midfield in the case of an injury to either of them is completely unviable, and we'd be better off with a rushed and not completely ready Patiño than those midfields, which are just wholly deficient from a construction / passing / ability on the ball perspective for any PL side. We already saw it with Lokonga and AMN against Norwich, literally the last place team at home, where Norwich's central midfield was firmly superior.

So no choice but to start blooding him now against Leeds, IMO, in anticipation of that inevitability (a Thomas or Lokonga unavailability).

Yeah, we are in massive trouble if Partey goes down. Without Partey, Lokonga/AMN/ElNeny isn't a serious midfield for a PL match. I do think it's too big an ask for Patino to go from youth football straight into the PL, without a first team appearance in even the league cup.

Maybe a 343 with a CM next to Ødegaard would be an option of Partey does get injured. It would certainly reduce the defensive responsibility on the midfield.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I think the top four had better midfields in 2008/09 than they do now.

Alonso, Gerrard and Mascherano at Liverpool.

Scholes, Hargreaves and Carrick at Utd.

Lampard, Essien and Ballack at Chelsea.

Even Sp**s had Modric as well as a lot of future and current internationals playing for the lower clubs. Jack didn’t have it “easier” than Patino would.

Main argument against playing him a lot is that running up the clock on attacking players at a young age with significant minutes in the PL tends to shorten their careers.

Likes of Wilshere, Cesc and Rooney were all dusted well before they hit 30. Him getting kicked all over the park as he’s still growing into his body would hurt him down the road imo.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Plays one good game, after being terrible v Brentford and a disgrace v City, then gets injured on purpose so his stock is risen in his absence.

This ****ing guy.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Regardless of what people think of him, he still makes our best 11 for me so this is a bit of a shame.
It's been the case for years, surrounded with Elnenys there were never any alternatives and the guy faked his way into the team with "I may not be that good but the others are even worse" logic. It feels like a punishment every time I watch Verrati, Kovacic, or Modric, can't believe we ended up in a situation where he makes your best 11 after so many years of having the best CMs in football.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

It's been the case for years, surrounded with Elnenys there were never any alternatives and the guy faked his way into the team with "I may not be that good but the others are even worse" logic. It feels like a punishment every time I watch Verrati, Kovacic, or Modric, can't believe we ended up in a situation where he makes your best 11 after so many years of having the best CMs in football.
I've never been crazy about Xhaka but in fairness to him we've signed a number of midfielders since he joined and he's still here.

Even with his injury I wouldn't be shocked if he tallies up more minutes than Partey tbh.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
Plays one good game, after being terrible v Brentford and a disgrace v City, then gets injured on purpose so his stock is risen in his absence.

This ****ing guy.
Just wait till we lose in his absence for his cult to come out with essays on how he is one of the best midfielders in the world & we can't win without him

Already seeing a meh performance getting elevated to superb so not long till this thread becomes unbearable

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster

Patino or more likely an Azeez recall might be an emergency option but the reality is that we've got AMN and Lokonga as our AFCON options with probably White and then Chambers as 3rd/4th choice for that period. I definitely wouldn't be starting Patino against Leeds, he'll get torn apart. Needs a gentle introduction if he's ready at all (ie. Wimbledon type game).

That's the reality, and that's why I don't see how anyone can think it's a good thing that Xhaka is injured.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

If Xhaka is as bad as everyone says and Partey/Lokonga are as sick as everybody thinks, that doesn’t happen.
There is a lot between bad and sick. Xhaka is and always been average player. As of today lokonga is atleast equal and should already play ahead as he can atleast improve. No matter what happens xhaka ain’t gonna be missed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom