• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Xhak Off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
Look, I despise this guy and I would personally throw a party when he eventually leaves, but why does this club continuously find new ways to **** itself for this guy? Even if you’re a Xhaka fan, you could see how poorly he was struggling. Man was gassed by half time and we lost the game when him and White let the Everton runner go. Anyways Xhaka is who he is. I probably should’ve put this in the Lokonga section in hindsight, but why he is now getting the cold shoulder?
Sambi was playing the best of all the midfielders so now Arteta benches him two matches in a row it is silly. I have never figured out why he all of sudden abandons certain players. With the way Partey was playing you would think at the least Sambi would be a logical sub

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Racing I think you’re on the wrong side of this one. No I’m sure. I get where you’re going but it’s not something you can prove unless you’re going to specify the actions of Xhaka and show how they led to an action that resulted in a goal or shot against us or general sloppy play that put our team or defense under pressure.

It’s always hard to pin point the actions of an individual in such a setting unless the individuals play is so poor that they directly result in attacks against us.

While I agree that he isn’t in our best eleven that is for different reasons. It’s mainly because of his lack of mobility and passing range and more importantly his playing style. He’s too static for me and also too poor of a tackler for me to want to rest him in a Traditional DM. He makes too many mistakes to use him as a deep lying play maker like a Jorginho and he certainly lacks the passing ability as well. Heck even Fred is better than Xhaka.

All that being said the one common thread amongst s all the defeats and draws for the season is how we develop our attack and how we transition in both directions. We are poor at defending because we utilize a zonal system that is easily countered by interplay by opposing players. This is a coaching issue.
Agree that this is not the perfect stat to look at. It's not straightforward to figure out an individual's contribution to defeat/victory, especially a midfielder. Even though our wins haven't been convincing in the other matches, I felt our midfield was decent enough when Lokonga was playing either with AMN or Partey. It was less nervy to watch them control the midfield than any midfield with Xhaka in it. So with the current squad, if we are choosing our best 11, I wouldn't have Xhaka in it and that also reflects on our results.

We won't see a big change until we change the coaching and strategies. But still Xhaka doesn't deserve to just walk into the 11 while Lokonga is on bench and AMN disappears from the squad after giving a MoM performance

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Counting losses is not really an argument, it's something as bad as claiming we're better than City because we happened to beat Tottenham and Tottenham beat city. It completely eliminates any kind of context or nuance in a game that is not really that complex but isn't as simple to just make additions and substractions.

Then again, when you have nothing of actual substance this is the only thing you can come up with. Learn from Mrs Bergkamp, cut out the crap and admit you just hate his guts, not exactly an interesting opinion but at least an honest one.
Counting losses doesn't make a player good/bad. But the argument is about what our best 11 is. If a player belongs to the best 11, by definition that team played better football compared to the non-best 11 team? Do you think our game against Everton was better than the games we played without Xhaka in the 11?
Talking about debating with actual substance, I don't think any of Xhaka supporters really support him for footballing reasons. While there is one group that believes in his faux masculinity, there is another that fell for it when he played victim card after the crystal palace incident.
The guy played over 50 games higher than Jorginho but still has much lesser number of through balls played and big chances created than Jorginho while having similar per match defensive stats only that Jorginho gets less cards and concedes less fouls while doing the same defensive work. And still most of AM would balk at the idea of signing Jorginho. Whose views are irrational here?

Fabregasm

Counting losses doesn't make a player good/bad. But the argument is about what our best 11 is. If a player belongs to the best 11, by definition that team played better football compared to the non-best 11 team? Do you think our game against Everton was better than the games we played without Xhaka in the 11?
Talking about debating with actual substance, I don't think any of Xhaka supporters really support him for footballing reasons. While there is one group that believes in his faux masculinity, there is another that fell for it when he played victim card after the crystal palace incident.
The guy played over 50 games higher than Jorginho but still has much lesser number of through balls played and big chances created than Jorginho while having similar per match defensive stats only that Jorginho gets less cards and concedes less fouls while doing the same defensive work. And still most of AM would balk at the idea of signing Jorginho. Whose views are irrational here?

Exactly on the point of Jorgino, many mentioned it was massive downgrade for us (worse than Xhaka) when we were linked to him end of season before last. Then he goes on to win CL, Euro and finished no.3 on Ballon d'Or ranking

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Counting losses is not really an argument, it's something as bad as claiming we're better than City because we happened to beat Tottenham and Tottenham beat city. It completely eliminates any kind of context or nuance in a game that is not really that complex but isn't as simple to just make additions and substractions.

Then again, when you have nothing of actual substance this is the only thing you can come up with. Learn from Mrs Bergkamp, cut out the crap and admit you just hate his guts, not exactly an interesting opinion but at least an honest one.
For clarity, I don't hate his guts, I've just got zero time for his style of play and genuinely think it's a massive hindrance to us ever improving. It's the player not the person. :)

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Agree that this is not the perfect stat to look at. It's not straightforward to figure out an individual's contribution to defeat/victory, especially a midfielder. Even though our wins haven't been convincing in the other matches, I felt our midfield was decent enough when Lokonga was playing either with AMN or Partey. It was less nervy to watch them control the midfield than any midfield with Xhaka in it. So with the current squad, if we are choosing our best 11, I wouldn't have Xhaka in it and that also reflects on our results.

We won't see a big change until we change the coaching and strategies. But still Xhaka doesn't deserve to just walk into the 11 while Lokonga is on bench and AMN disappears from the squad after giving a MoM performance
That's my biggest issue atm. Against Everton, the heart racing came back. With the others, I might shout in despair and wave my arms about but it's borderline terror for me when Xhaka has the ball. I imagine glee on the heart of any opponent ambitious enough to press him. It's a trust issue for me.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Exactly on the point of Jorgino, many mentioned it was massive downgrade for us (worse than Xhaka) when we were linked to him end of season before last. Then he goes on to win CL, Euro and finished no.3 on Ballon d'Or ranking
If I speak I’ll be in big trouble, very big trouble. You know f£ck it, I’ll say what I want to say.

Jorginho is an upgraded Elneny. Hear me out. That’s actually a compliment. When you watch Jorgi play his game, it’s very simple. Lots of short first time passes. Very rarely will he attempt a long pass that Xhaka can pull off. Low-key I think Xhaka is more complete footballer than Jorginho but with one third the brain cells.

Farzad Stoned

If I speak I’ll be in big trouble, very big trouble. You know f£ck it, I’ll say what I want to say.

Jorginho is an upgraded Elneny. Hear me out. That’s actually a compliment. When you watch Jorgi play his game, it’s very simple. Lots of short first time passes. Very rarely will he attempt a long pass that Xhaka can pull off. Low-key I think Xhaka is more complete footballer than Jorginho but with one third the brain cells.
We get some pretty good stuff out in my neck of the woods but I want some of what you are smoking. Jorginho is a very gifted player with ball at feet and has nose for goals while being a great passer. Xhaka is none of those things. Jorginho’s only similarity to Chaka is they both get a yellow in the tunnel. Otherwise Xhaka is not either as gifted a passer, scorer, or technically as gifted on the ball. If Xhaka dribbles by you, you should retire as a footballer, he runs with ball like a pregnant sow and can’t handle pressure on the ball.

mpower2540

That's my biggest issue atm. Against Everton, the heart racing came back. With the others, I might shout in despair and wave my arms about but it's borderline terror for me when Xhaka has the ball. I imagine glee on the heart of any opponent ambitious enough to press him. It's a trust issue for me.
Funnily enough I’m the opposite. My heart races more when Partey has the ball right now he looks so unsure in his game and let’s face it he’s been pretty dreadful.

Xhaka I feel very little when he gets the ball pretty much cause I know what he’ll do with it. Get it onto his left and shovel it wide to Tierney. He’s a low risk, dull player these days, doesn’t really stir much emotion in me when I see he has the ball.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Passing was off in the first half, but he has been much more direct today as we didn't play Tierney ball. Also helped to have a midfielder actually in the middle, for example on blocking the goalkeeper's pass for the chance in the first.

I just dread Arteta switching back to Tierney ball for no reason in the future.

Second half so far his passing has improved.

Farzad Stoned

Xhaka was equally bad as Partey I counted at least 3 bad giveaways two of them lead directly to Southampton chances. He was worst of midfield 3 for me, Partey was marginally better but nothing to brag about. Ødegaard was very good he looks to attack the other two need to clean stuff up behind him and give him the ball. When they did that the attack progressed fairly well. Either Partey or Xhaka should be dropped for Sambi. Partey has more in his locker maybe he needs a rest, but long run he is still better than Chaka. How appropriate that autocorrect changes Xhaka’s name to a character who was a juvenile caveman in a show called”Land of the Lost”.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Xhaka was equally bad as Partey I counted at least 3 bad giveaways two of them lead directly to Southampton chances. He was worst of midfield 3 for me, Partey was marginally better but nothing to brag about. Ødegaard was very good he looks to attack the other two need to clean stuff up behind him and give him the ball. When they did that the attack progressed fairly well. Either Partey or Xhaka should be dropped for Sambi. Partey has more in his locker maybe he needs a rest, but long run he is still better than Chaka. How appropriate that autocorrect changes Xhaka’s name to a character who was a juvenile caveman in a show called”Land of the Lost”.
Why does Partey need a rest? He’s actually missed a lot of football through injuries, he’s nearly 29, guy has to step up. He’s been terrible since we signed him.

Farzad Stoned

Why does Partey need a rest? He’s actually missed a lot of football through injuries, he’s nearly 29, guy has to step up. He’s been terrible since we signed him.
I don’t disagree with you, but sometimes a player needs to sit and watch and have the fear of being dropped out in him. You need to shake him up a little without pissing him off, he opened the door himself by saying he is 4/10 in his performance since being signed. See how he reacts if you push a certain button

mirrorstares

There are some very weird moments where both he and Partey end up screening the CBs for no good reason at all, meaning we have no midfield, they can be easily pressed and any forward passes we can make can be easily read and intercepted. That's fully on Arteta

Pretty bad first half, we all know he struggles with some serious pressing. Found his groove in the second were Soton lowered their arms but it felt like a match for Lokonga the whole time. The whole midfield looked piss poor for way too much time out there.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Against rice and Soucek who not only better than him currently but having great season and on form if he lose possession 12 times against them then we in trouble I'm sure Mikel will play him despite him being not ready

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Lost the ball 12 times just in the first half. Would prefer Sambi tbh. Let him have more rest.
He lost it 13 (14 depending on source) times in total. So, only once or twice in the second half.

Of course, Southhampton pressured less in the second half too, but still a marked improvement as the game got on. Still needs time of course, true.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Worried about him v West Ham, ngl.

He was good in the second half, when Southampton dropped their line of engagement...but he's so easy to press, those turnover in the first half were horrible.

Wish Sambi was still starting over him (Partey hasn't been great, but is gives us more defensively than Granit, so he needs to play)

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Worried about him v West Ham, ngl.

He was good in the second half, when Southampton dropped their line of engagement...but he's so easy to press, those turnover in the first half were horrible.

Wish Sambi was still starting over him (Partey hasn't been great, but is gives us more defensively than Granit, so he needs to play)
Him and Partey both need to be top in thier game Soucek and Rice been best midfielde partnership this season any repeat of first 20 min performance we'll be in trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I often relive those 49 undefeated matches. I do believe in signs to a certain extent, and as I was born in 1949, I sometimes tell myself it was our destiny to lose the 50th. Those 49 matches are etched within me and within each player: it is something fundamental, a triumph born out of passion.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom