• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I don't get this "protecting the value" on Xhaka by offering him a contract extension. What value are we talking about? He had his best season with us, had a good Euro and we are not able to get anything but peanuts for him. We are clearly just tying him to us for several more years without the ability to shift him on. Arteta and Edu must be out of their minds to do this! Every time I read about this I am just baffled by the sheer stupidity. It's like they want to be fired and leave the club in as ****ty a position as possible when that happens! 🤬

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

This goes along with the 4 years contracts given to Pablo Mari and Cedric. And also the 3 years given to Willian. I really don't understand what is going on. When you finish 8th twice you can't be handing out 4 years deals to bums left and right.

I was really convinced that we were moving on from Xhaka and his loser mentality. And this buyer's market was the perfect chance. Could have gone for any combination of Bissouma/Sabitzer/Aouar for realtively cheap.

Especially Sabitzer who's a captain, a leader, still 27 with CL experience and with only 10 months left on his contract. There are loads of options. We just chose mediocrity because not only he's staying but he also get rewarded with a pay rise and gets to be here until he's 33 years old.

I guess we can expect Elneny and Bellerin 4-years extensions very soon.
You hit the nail on the ****ing head with this post! So depressing it is unreal!

TinFish

As mentioned on Arteta thread:

We have fallen so low as a football club that we can't find adequate enough replacements to be first team starters.

Roma offer is pathetically low, even I'd rather keep him at the price being touted and try to offload dross like Elneny.

Who can we realistically replace him with? I don't think Renato is a gamble we can take to throw into the first XI week in week out.

MikeVinna

Established Member
You know as a squad option that only starts certain matches he would be fine. But it’s clear he’ll be a guaranteed starter for years to come. I don’t even care if we have Maddison/Martinez in front of him. Thought we needed a proper CM first and foremost.

Why

Always Me ?
I read a fun article this morning.

So he is 29 next month, and we have here at the club on improved wages until he is 33... We were offered 12mil but wanted 20mil. But the most expensive player over 30 to move in the premiership was Fabregas who went for £8 million. So his value can only go down next year.

So odds are if he goes next year it will be for a lot less than 12mil.

If he stays we have another bum, who doesn't really like the club, on good wages who don't need to do anything and get paid by us until he is 33 and then he can retire.

Hmm, sounds familiar. How does Arsenal keep making the same mistakes?

Vanpayslip

The truth is that Arteta always wanted him to stay. They just postured with the Roma thing until it fizzed out.

This is a club that in the very recent past has paid off players to leave. Saying a valuation difference of a few million would stop them getting rid of a player they don’t want is just stupid. The reality is Mikel never wanted him to leave. Now Mikel needs to man up and accept that Xhaka is his player and face the consequences of his own stupidity.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I read a fun article this morning.

So he is 29 next month, and we have here at the club on improved wages until he is 33... We were offered 12mil but wanted 20mil. But the most expensive player over 30 to move in the premiership was Fabregas who went for £8 million. So his value can only go down next year.

So odds are if he goes next year it will be for a lot less than 12mil.

If he stays we have another ***, who doesn't really like the club, on good wages who don't need to do anything and get paid by us until he is 33 and then he can retire.

Hmm, sounds familiar. How does Arsenal keep making the same mistakes?
If he signs his improved deal over 100k and the contract will be for 4 years. Why would he move next year? He would have to take significantly pay cut to move. The club has decided to invest in xhaka and the 4 year deal at 29 says so. He will be here for the long term and if he dropped if in 2 years you just have to pay him off. Players in their 30s don’t walk out on big contracts unless they walk to similar wages. And this is why we can’t move players because of the wages we pay

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
As mentioned on Arteta thread:

We have fallen so low as a football club that we can't find adequate enough replacements to be first team starters.

Roma offer is pathetically low, even I'd rather keep him at the price being touted and try to offload dross like Elneny.

So the best solution is to renew his contract?

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
It's like people are trying to convince themselves that Xhaka is a top player now that the club has given the indication that they're not going to replace him in the short/medium term. I think it's a coping mechanism if you ask me.
If he was a half decent player you would expect several offers coming in, but there was only one questionable offer from Roma, not even Hertha this time.
Other clubs are fully aware of what he is, just like they were with Mustafi. I've already said, we've sold Bielik for 10M and he has like 1 acl injury per year so you can imagine how other clubs value Xhaka then :lol:

Tomb Bombadil

Especially Sabitzer who's a captain, a leader, still 27 with CL experience and with only 10 months left on his contract. There are loads of options. We just chose mediocrity because not only he's staying but he also get rewarded with a pay rise and gets to be here until he's 33 years old.
You can say the same thing about Xhaka.

I thought it would be good to sell him but he's still a good player and if we change Xhaka for Sabitzer I don't think we really have improved and question is how much we have to pay for Sabitzer? And does he want to come to us?

We have a long way to go. But yeah giving him a new contract would be a bit mad.

Get These Hands

Off of my purse !
I don't understand our fanbase sometimes. They worship players like Özil who did nothing for 3 years. But make a scapegoat out of Xhaka who was our best CM last season and of the most consistent players overall.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I don't understand our fanbase sometimes. They worship players like Özil who did nothing for 3 years. But make a scapegoat out of Xhaka who was our best CM last season and of the most consistent players overall.
There is no excuse for the reported extension he has 2 years left on his deal. If you couldn't get 20 mil for a 28 year old Xhaka off the back of a good Euros, you're not getting it for a 29 year old Xhaka next summer.

It is kinda like extending Lacazette (who I like) because he was our best striker by default last season, rewarding mediocrity for no reason feels wrong. Sometimes players leaving on a free is the right thing to do.

Pyres7

Oh please, Özil was scapegoated just as much as Xhaka.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

There is no excuse for the reported extension he has 2 years left on his deal. If you couldn't get 20 mil for a 28 year old Xhaka off the back of a good Euros, you're not getting it for a 29 year old Xhaka next summer.
Yes there absolutely is. Xhaka is a good squad player and person in the dressing room, even if he is 32 years old. Also we don't yet know if it is one or two years extension.

Arsenal should never have to resort to Elneny "quality" for rotation or backup. And we have young promising talents for midfield coming through, and got Sambi already.

Also our squad is very young already, some experience is always needed.

But he shouldn't be lied to when extending, about his position in the squad, because that can cause problems later.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He's The Iron Giant, sent here to destroy us...except he didn't get memory loss, so he remembers his mission.

Was up for keeping him for a season longer, but the contract extension is terrible by the club, he's never leaving...I can't believe how excited I was when we signed this guy in 2016 :lol:

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

People here laugh at @HairSprayGooners for saying we have a big budget this season, but then demand the club to spend tens of millions to replace Xhaka with a similar or a bit better quality player.

If people think we have not enough money (which would make some sense without European football again), surely they understand that keeping Xhaka for a few years as a squad player is a very sensible move.

Those tens of millions can be used for other players than getting similar player to replace Xhaka. We should also have a route for Azeez and Patino for example, and Xhaka as a older guy doesn't block it as much as buying an expensive younger player like Neves.

There is no transfer fee when you extend Xhaka.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom