• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

People here laugh at @HairSprayGooners for saying we have a big budget this season, but then demand the club to spend tens of millions to replace Xhaka with a similar or a bit better quality player.

If people think we have not enough money (which would make some sense without European football again), surely they understand that keeping Xhaka for a few years as a squad player is a very sensible move.

Those tens of millions can be used for other players than getting similar player to replace Xhaka. We should also have a route for Azeez and Patino for example, and Xhaka as a older guy doesn't block it as much as buying an expensive player like Neves.
I don't mind Xhaka, but you keep calling him squad player when there is no indication that he has slid down the pecking order.

The club can do what it wants anyways, I've given up.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
People here laugh at @HairSprayGooners for saying we have a big budget this season, but then demand the club to spend tens of millions to replace Xhaka with a similar or a bit better quality player.

If people think we have not enough money (which would make some sense without European football again), surely they understand that keeping Xhaka for a few years as a squad player is a very sensible move.

Those tens of millions can be used for other players than getting similar player to replace Xhaka. We should also have a route for Azeez and Patino for example, and Xhaka as a older guy doesn't block it as much as buying an expensive player like Neves.

There is no transfer fee when you extend Xhaka.
We just spent a lot of money on CB while sending Saliba on tour. Why not spend the money on areas where we are weaker?

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
I hope everyone that drolled over that performance vs France in the Euros thread are celebrating.

Se queda.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I don't mind Xhaka, but you keep calling him squad player when there is no indication that he has slid down the pecking order.

The club can do what it wants anyways, I've given up.
To extend him, means to me that he can be a squad player especially later. I hope we get another midfielder of course, but can understand if the money is too limited this window.

drippin

We just spent a lot of money on CB while sending Saliba on tour. Why not spend the money on areas where we are weaker?
For me this is digression of the subject.

But it would be stupid to rely on Saliba to replace Luiz, when Saliba has played 1276 minutes in his first Ligue 1 season, next 991 minutes and the last one 1800 minutes. He can come here next season after a full season under his belt. While he has been somewhat injury prone in those earlier seasons.

White has almost never been injured and has played pretty much every game.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
For me this is digression of the subject.

But it would be stupid to rely on Saliba to replace Luiz, when Saliba has played 1276 minutes in his first Ligue 1 season, next 991 minutes and the last one 1800 minutes. He can come here next season after a full season under his belt. While he has been somewhat injury prone in those earlier seasons.

White has almost never been injured and has played pretty much every game.
It is not digression of subject. You asked about why people are complaining money is not available while also complaining about not buying a Xhaka replacement. I pointed out that if we have limited money, we should use it on roles which are important.

If our goal is to replace Luiz, Luiz just played 1400 minutes in PL last year. As we are not playing European tournaments, it was important that we replaced our weakest positions in starting 11. Instead, we are spending big on CBs and bench players while our starting 11 is going to look very similar to last season.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
It is not digression of subject. You asked about why people are complaining money is not available while also complaining about not buying a Xhaka replacement. I pointed out that if we have limited money, we should use it on roles which are important.

If our goal is to replace Luiz, Luiz just played 1400 minutes in PL last year. As we are not playing European tournaments, it was important that we replaced our weakest positions in starting 11. Instead, we are spending big on CBs and bench players while our starting 11 is going to look very similar to last season.

Luiz only played 1400 mins due to injury right? Therefore it was important to replace him.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Luiz only played 1400 mins due to injury right? Therefore it was important to replace him.
Luiz played only 1400 minutes. But if you look at number of goals we conceded, we are 3rd in the table just behind City and Chelsea. While I understand the need to have someone better than Holding to start, it is not an immediate concern right now. Our biggest problem was lack of creativity in midfield - something we have been lacking ever since we lost Cazorla. That is the reason why most people here voted that replacing Xhaka was vital this summer. But we are splashing the cash in other areas.

drippin

So you're ready to see Holding play a lot again?

Maybe you are with Mitch in how you see his quality, but for me he is a bench player, and mostly good at defending.

We needed "a Luiz" who is not error or injury prone with enough experience, and White is that guy. Saliba is not just yet.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Luiz played only 1400 minutes. But if you look at number of goals we conceded, we are 3rd in the table just behind City and Chelsea. While I understand the need to have someone better than Holding to start, it is not an immediate concern right now. Our biggest problem was lack of creativity in midfield - something we have been lacking ever since we lost Cazorla. That is the reason why most people here voted that replacing Xhaka was vital this summer. But we are splashing the cash in other areas.

But then you aren't understanding the full reason why the club has gone for White if you think its purely a defensive decision.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

But then you aren't understanding the full reason why the club has gone for White if you think its purely a defensive decision.
Heard on a podcast that PL clubs are a bit worried about Brexit implications and are keen on getting more homegrown players. One of the reasons City are in for Kane and Grealish.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
So you're ready to see Holding play a lot again?

Maybe you are with Mitch in how you see his quality, but for me he is a bench player, and mostly good at defending.

We needed "a Luiz" who is not error or injury prone with enough experience, and White is that guy. Saliba is not just yet.
We definitely needed an upgrade on Luiz. The question is which upgrade is more important.

With Luiz being injured in many matches, we managed to do decently well in defensively. As mentioned above, we haven't conceded many goals.

The problem was clearly our lack of creativity. We were unable to find channels to attack from midfield. Every team that played against us knew where the passes from midfield are going to end up in. I am all for buying White if we also upgraded our starting 11 midfield. But throwing 50M on White while ignoring midfield is not really a clever tactic. At best, we may end up finishing 2 places ahead of our position last season.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
We definitely needed an upgrade on Luiz. The question is which upgrade is more important.

With Luiz being injured in many matches, we managed to do decently well in defensively. As mentioned above, we haven't conceded many goals.

The problem was clearly our lack of creativity. We were unable to find channels to attack from midfield. Every team that played against us knew where the passes from midfield are going to end up in. I am all for buying White if we also upgraded our starting 11 midfield. But throwing 50M on White while ignoring midfield is not really a clever tactic. At best, we may end up finishing 2 places ahead of our position last season.

Even if we hadn't signed Ben White we would be in the exact same position in midfield right now you know?

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
It's a bad move for all parties unfortunately. The majority of Arsenal fans are done with him. There's no way back for him really.
Would have been better for everyone concerned if we'd just shifted him on to Roma instead of playing hardball over a couple of million.

The first mistake he makes leading to an opposition goal next season, he's going to get destroyed by the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom