• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
We aren't going anywhere with him starting. If he isn't replaced or at least upgraded on in the summer I am 100% Arteta out

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
As much as I hate him, there’s not much I can really critic with today’s performance. I don’t think anyone seriously thought we would win the midfield battle against City, so I guess my expectations were capped. I actually thought he was okay but he is still a victim of stupidity that he will never ever shake. He took more responsibility today than he did against Benfica and was our best midfielder today but he’s still several levels below the City midfield. And that wherein lies the problem. He’s so integral to our midfield but it’s horrible. I could maybe excuse him with the tiredness excuse but even if he were fully fit, does anyone think his performance would change that much?

I guess his acolytes will give him an 8 due to the circumstances we have found ourselves in but I no longer feel anger towards him. I used to find it cathartic to write sh*t on a Granit Xhaka disaster class but for the first time in years I just feel apathy towards him. The disdain that I have for him has made me numb to this. I’m bored of Xhaka. I’m bored of season after season of him and my club going backwards.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

He moves like a massive fridge on a skateboard. Player with his mobility, touch and mentality could easily get seriously exposed in a game like this. Just about hung in there, but you need more in the locker at this level.
Doesn't help that his midfield partner today was practically sat next to Rob Holding. I do agree though, if we want to be competitive again, we need to upgrade on him but I do think we have bigger fish to fry. He wasn't the major issue in midfield for me today.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Didn't do much wrong but didn't impose himself either. He's just so hesitant to attack even with space to pass or run into. He tried a few lofted passes but we just didn't attack with any conviction and he now looks dead in the water without Partey.

I always feel that this is because he knows he can’t recover his position very easily, but either way it’s a major hindrance and cuts off an entire attacking supply chain.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
He looked incredibly frustrated in FT like whole team quite poor 15 minutes but after that he got his s**t playing with guy like Elneny won't help he look much better with Partey or Ceballos

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

He moves like a massive fridge on a skateboard. Player with his mobility, touch and mentality could easily get seriously exposed in a game like this. Just about hung in there, but you need more in the locker at this level.

There are two different conversations happening at the same time about Xhaka. There’s one about his performances and there’s another about our needs.

This thread is full of ‘Xhaka can’t do xyz’ being defended with ‘I thought he was our best player’.

If I’m being kind he’s the Giroud of central midfield.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
There are two different conversations happening at the same time about Xhaka. There’s one about his performances and there’s another about our needs.

This thread is full of ‘Xhaka can’t do xyz’ being defended with ‘I thought he was our best player’.

Which is why we need to sell him at the end of the season and move on. He and us. Too much water under the bridge and people will always look at us being out of the CL as the Xhaka years.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

A select number of you complain about him non stop, but what happens when he’s eventually replaced and we’re still crap? Mock Giroud all you like but he went on to a better team which says more about us than him.

In any case I don’t feel like Xhaka even did much wrong, if anything Ceballos should have come on for Elneny sooner. Especially when it became clear that City were happy to coast.

We’re 10th place and didn’t expect much anyways we could have really gone for it and ended up with the same points. Arteta could have done more to shake things up himself, it’s not everyday personnel.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

A select number of you complain about him non stop, but what happens when he’s eventually replaced and we’re still crap? Mock Giroud all you like but he went on to a better team which says more about us than him.

In any case I don’t feel like Xhaka even did much wrong, if anything Ceballos should have come on for Elneny sooner. Especially when it became clear that City were happy to coast.

We’re 10th place and didn’t expect much anyways we could have really gone for it and ended up with the same points. Arteta could have done more to shake things up himself, it’s not everyday personnel.

:lol:

You're just proving the point. We're having two different conversations.

The "complaining" about Xhaka isn't about his performance, it's about his profile. If we're going to play with only two midfielders, they have to be able to do more than cover the space in front of defence and play it to the nearest player.

As for Giroud, again, nobody's mocking him. This isn't a popularity contest. He's a very good but limited player who's very good at 2 or 3 specific things. The argument in both instances is that you need more from a guaranteed starter in a key role, not that the player himself isn't of value.

Last edited:

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
Xhaka is a victim of our imbalance in midfield. You put him in that city midfield with Bernardo Silva and Gundogan or De Bruyne next to him and you will see a different player. He's not that mobile but his passing range is very good. His pass completion is always in the high 80's which is what you expect with his passing range.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Xhaka has improved immensely under arteta. But I do feel he's playing at his limit, so I'm not expecting more from him. Just in the long run we're going to need an upgrade if we want to progress as a club.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
Xhaka is a victim of our imbalance in midfield. You put him in that city midfield with Bernardo Silva and Gundogan or De Bruyne next to him and you will see a different player. He's not that mobile but his passing range is very good. His pass completion is always in the high 80's which is what you expect with his passing range.
He is the REASON for our imbalance. Lol. We have been out of the CL since he's been here and it is not a coincidence. He wouldn't get anywhere near that City team. Lol. His passing range is left, right and back mostly.

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

He is the REASON for our imbalance. Lol. We have been out of the CL since he's been here and it is not a coincidence. He wouldn't get anywhere near that City team. Lol. His passing range is left, right and back mostly.

It’s kind of a moot argument anyway. Gareth Barry looked like a footballer playing next to prime Yaya Toure, but we don’t have a prime Yaya Toure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom