• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
You can never fully trust Granit at this point, too much has happened since he has been here ( I think he get's off easy with the armband incident as @Blood on the Tracks says, as he grouped that in with a separate issue and it wasn't addressed properly imo) that being said...we probably have too much to do though in terms of transfers this summer to worry about a new CM, so it's good he is looking quality next to Partey...and if Thomas can stay fit next year, I am confident in a Partey-Xhaka midfield for another season.

You know it's coming to something when even pretty strong Arteta supporters like ourselves aren't trying to talk up Xhaka and his improved spell under Arteta.

It's a matter of time before he implodes at a pivotal moment for us.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
You know it's coming to something when even pretty strong Arteta supporters like ourselves aren't trying to talk up Xhaka and his improved spell under Arteta.

Didn't even think to put 2 and 2 together like that!

You know what Xhaka has been fantastic since Mikel took over, what a manager as it's all down to him ;)

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Was all over the pitch against Leicester.

EvehNu-XcAM0L4V

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Am I hearing this right, that Xhaka made a mistake in moving to Arsenal?

The guys literally made a half decade career here out of being a fairly talented footballer with serious physical flaws and with a penchant for doing stupid things, repeatedly, with very little consequences from either of the 3 managers he's played under here. No serious club would have put up with him.

I'll stand by my view that after the armband incident he should never have played for the club again. To me that was unforgivable.

Would Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool etc have put up with this guy as a consistent starting player given everything he's done and the dozen + ridiculous points costing mistakes he's made here. Would they hell. I'm not even sure Sp**s would to be honest.

He should be thanking his lucky stars that he lucked into Arsenal during the start of our decline.

He's had good 2-3 month spells before. He always ends up reverting to type. You can't put any faith in him to have upped his game long term after what we've seen approaching the past 5 years.
This guy probably won't even start in in our 2006-2015 team. It's no coincidence that our decline started the summer he was bought.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
This guy probably won't even start in in our 2006-2015 team. It's no coincidence that our decline started the summer he was bought.
dont mix coincidence with causality. He joined at the worst time to join Arsenal.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
It's no coincidence that our decline started the summer he was bought.
I am sorry, but that is one of the most ridiculous assumptions, that's been going around AM for years.
This myth has been projected around here for years and it is now taken as an "undeniable fact".

I obviously support Xhaka and want him to do well, but even I agree that we now need to have a better partner in midfield for Partey.
As long as Arteta is here he will not sell Xhaka, he can be a very reliable squad option against sides that defend deep, while against the likes of Pool, City and other high-pressing teams he can make way for a more mobile midfielder.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I am sorry, but that is one of the most ridiculous assumptions, that's been going around AM for years.
This myth has been projected around here for years and it is now taken as an "undeniable fact".

I obviously support Xhaka and want him to do well, but even I agree that we now need to have a better partner in midfield for Partey.
As long as Arteta is here he will not sell Xhaka, he can be a very reliable squad option against sides that defend deep, while against the likes of Pool, City and other high-pressing teams he can make way for a more mobile midfielder.
He's a starter in our worst midfield in over 30 years. Our Midfield partnership in 2015 was coq-Caz. Compare that to Xhaka-Elneny or Xhaka-Ceballos. It's not a coincidence. It's fact. Our Midfield is uninspiring, slow and cumbersome. Those are the qualities Xhaka brings to this midfield.

albakos

Administrator

And how come it is Xhaka's fault that he was paired with the likes of Elneny, Ceballos, AMN, Willock etc.. All of them players of Newcastle/Palace level or below.

When he started with Cazorla they were bossing it, but then Cazorla got his terrible injury against Ludogorets in a dead rubber home CL game.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
And how come it is Xhaka's fault that he was paired with the likes of Elneny, Ceballos, AMN, Willock etc.. All of them players of Newcastle/Palace level or below.

When he started with Cazorla they were bossing it, but then Cazorla got his terrible injury against Ludogorets in a dead rubber home CL game.
Not sure what makes you say Cazorla and Xhaka bossed it together. Though my memories are cloudy, I am sure that Xhaka has been mediocre right from the start. We were giving him chances because he was new to PL. It was only after a couple of years that we realised that there won't be any improvements. Anyway, I went back to check the history. In 2016-17 season, they both started together in 3 PL matches in total:
1-3 win against Watford. Great.
0-1 win against Burnley. But Xhaka was subbed of in 70 minutes and we scored only later.
3-2 win against Swansea. Xhaka got a red card at 70th minute when the score was 3-2
Overall, we seemed to have played well when Cazorla and Coquelin started together, even though it was only a few matches and played poorly when Xhaka started with Coquelin.

And Cazorla didn't even play 2017-18 season. So no data there.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member

You haven't really disproven the "myth". Are you denying that we have declined since he was a staple in our midfield? Or are you denying that he is the reason? He's certainly not the solution.

Edit: Also... 100k a week salary is very expensive for a squad option.

albakos

Administrator

I am just highlighting the ridiculous assumption that due to Xhaka we've kept getting worse since then.

It's as if our other 10 players on pitch were all Joga Bonito superstars, but here comes along Xhaka, who according to this logic is the key reason for our failures.

Correlation != Causation

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
I am just highlighting the ridiculous assumption that due to Xhaka we've kept getting worse since then.

It's as if our other 10 players on pitch were all Joga Bonito superstars, but here comes along Xhaka, who according to this logic is the key reason for our failures.

Correlation != Causation

Xhaka being a nailed on starter is a huge problem.

Is your issue with the implication that it is Xhaka's fault? It's not exactly his fault and the abuse is unwarranted. But the club relying on him has really hindered our success. I still think it's fair to say that our decline is related to Xhaka's presence in the team. He's not really the midfielder anyone wants out there. I don't hate him and he's done a decent job recently, but that's fighting for a midtable spot, not near the quality we need now or needed to not decline.

kash2

Not sure how anyone can deny Xhaka's part in us crashing out of top 4. The drop in quality from Cazorla to Xhaka was massive.
you are confusing the symptom with the cause.

It was a period of turbulence. there was a takeover by unambitious walmart ownership. There was a cacophony of whining brexity fans who felt top4 was an insult. There were billionaires and shekhs and crazy money sloshing in. We couldnt even retain Sanchez who pretty much went on strike nor could we buy Vardy.

This is in addition to the traditional bent refereeing, whoremongering media and injury and assault on our players.

Into this entered a 23 yr old midfielder. He is in his fifth season here. He has stood in the heart of midfield and done whatever was asked of him.

Its strange that somehow for 5 yrs, the club hasnt been able to upgrade on him. Suggest you open your eyes and place the blame on the ownership, where it belongs.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
you are confusing the symptom with the cause.

It was a period of turbulence. there was a takeover by unambitious walmart ownership. There was a cacophony of whining brexity fans who felt top4 was an insult. There were billionaires and shekhs and crazy money sloshing in. We couldnt even retain Sanchez who pretty much went on strike nor could we buy Vardy.

This is in addition to the traditional bent refereeing, whoremongering media and injury and assault on our players.

Into this entered a 23 yr old midfielder. He is in his fifth season here. He has stood in the heart of midfield and done whatever was asked of him.

Its strange that somehow for 5 yrs, the club hasnt been able to upgrade on him. Suggest you open your eyes and place the blame on the ownership, where it belongs.
Ultimately, it's the management that has to be blamed for not finding a replacement for him. That doesn't mean that Xhaka can't be blamed. He is a below average player and we are calling it out. Until we move on from him, Arsenal will be a mid-table club. You talk about money of other clubs? We spent 100M that window to buy Xhaka, Mustafi and Perez. Everyone involved in taking decision to buy these players need to take blame.

kash2

Yes. He joined us during the summer with our worst transfer window. Oh wait...
its with great sadness I must say, that the sheer irrational arguments here puzzle me, and today finally it made me go to google and type "xhaka religion".

true story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom