• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
This season his performances have matched, been fairly dependable since Chelsea and crucial in some of our best performances like Soton, all the while having to babysit an useless Cedric and a hilariously immobile Partey.

He is, along with Holding, one of the players we can clearly say has improved under Arteta, even if it doesn't look like much because everyone else regressed, some massively. Can't really blame Arteta for playing him every game either, the guy is world class at gaslighting managers or something and he did it to our best ever manager too.
Partey has been injured all season and his small sample of quality eclipses Xhaka’s mundane plodding. He has made some good interceptions but his limitations hinder our ability to play through the middle, defend centrally and play more expensively and quickly. Cedric until recently was in and out and had no rhythm but he's been largely okay. He's made some interceptions but it's the rest of the team babysitting his weaknesses. No player has actually regressed- it was Arteta's tactics and instructions that killed our attack especially Auba who did look like he'd fallen off a cliff form wise. If by fairly dependable you mean that he has cut down on his mistakes, then fair enough, but that's not enough. I can't remember the match but he was playing nicely with Partey, who when subbed off saw our control of the game crumble. He doesn't control a game, he isn't pivotal. He's a useful cog given that we have nobody else. He works hard and follows instructions and don't forget that some of Arteta's instructions actually took him off and away from the ball last season! He's a model pro within thd club so he gets picked. We are also overly determined to make a expensive signing work because we can't afford to write him off-this despite killing our CL chances almost singlehandedly.
Sorry to go on but there must be no more confusion, delusion or excuses regarding Xhaka

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Frankly, Leno is a frikkin idiot. He was able to see the whole play before him and still had a brain dead moment. There is something suspect about his mentality and decision making. Rarely leaves his line and when he does, its always a heart in the mouth moment with the odd comic episode.

Compare the narrative around Leno vs that about Xhaka for the same incident, which incidentally wasnt even a loss for arsenal. However reading here, it seems like xhaka went and shot the bum squads bum with pepper bullets.
Hi Manberg.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
So Luiz has given away multiple penalties and been sent off multiple times. Praised for leadership and fronting up for mistakes.

Xhaka has been sent off, given away a goal. Praised for resilience and willingness to play. All that's left for him is to give away a penalty. It will happen.

Willian ****s off to Dubai and plays **** for an entire season bar 2 games and he needs support.

Meanwhile Pepe 'let the team down'.

Got to love double standards. I am sure Ceballos mistake is already forgotten, meanwhile Pepes miss will probably be remembered for the next 4 games.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I'm one of Xhaka's biggest critics but I can see from his perspective why he has the mentality that he does.

From his point of view he sees the following:

He turns up to training and gives his maximum in terms of physical and mental exertion. As critical as I am of Xhaka one thing I will say is he doesn't look (and by all credible reports isn't) the type to slack in training or come in with the mentality to have a joke and piss about.

When is picked to play it would appear to me that he's by and large following the managers orders correctly, pleases them with his performances. That's Wenger, Emery and Arteta now that have all consistently played him and trusted him. And that's despite them all having widely varying faith in different players that their counterparts trusted/didn't trust. His willingness to follow his managers order is further emphasised by the fact he's happily played in a number of differing positions, from CB, fullback, DM, B2B and even AM.

And despite his numerous goal leading errors, his (early his Arsenal career? isn't it gone now?) disciplinary issue and his clearly deficiency in ability, he's still routinely played and trusted by the manager it an extremely high degree.

How is that not going to have an impact on his ability? If the guys that are his bosses, the ones who's opinions actually tangibly matter are pleased with him then why would he change his mentality? He's not just going wake up one day and have a epiphany and think:

"Damn, I'm really ****. I really need to drastically improve my game. I need to tell the gaffer that he should stop picking and that I'm refusing to play until I actual improve as a player"

It's never ever going to happen. Not even remotely. That needs to come from the manager. I actually don't get that mad at Xhaka anymore since I've reached the point where this is just his absolute level. He's not being **** on purpose or through a lack of trying. He's genuinely trying to the best of his abilities, he's just not a very good footballer and the manager needs to realise that and address it.

Contrast that to someone like Pepe who I believe is also not a very good footballer but I'm more vocally critical of him these days (not recently since he's improved a bit) because to me it seems like he's also not trying hard enough or responded well enough to the obvious push back from managers who are also not pleased with his performances.
I don’t see how his perspective should be any different from many others. Only an inflated ego sets him apart. He takes his training very seriously and he is an excellent pro – we know that. He is very vocal and like to try and lead – we know that too. The players seem to like him and the managers notice all the above and think he’s quite important because of that. That much is pretty evident. However I just want him to apologise unreservedly for once on his entire Arsenal career, that’s all. Like others do.

Iceman10

Established Member
So Luiz has given away multiple penalties and been sent off multiple times. Praised for leadership and fronting up for mistakes.

Xhaka has been sent off, given away a goal. Praised for resilience and willingness to play. All that's left for him is to give away a penalty. It will happen.

Willian ****s off to Dubai and plays **** for an entire season bar 2 games and he needs support.

Got to love double standards. I am sure Ceballos mistake is already forgotten, meanwhile Pepes miss will probably be remembered for the next 4 games.

Ceballos and Leno mistakes were largely forgiven by fans for being one-off bad days rather than being part of a pattern. The stats for errors leading to goals for Xhaka do not look good, but I don’t know what there is to point to for Xhaka in between these two Burnley matches. On the whole he’s been ok for 2021 until this latest. In fact in terms of being a DM rather than looking to him as anything more than that in CM he has made some important last ditch tackles, which goes to him being an ok midfielder alongside Partey. I do not want Xhaka to be much more than a squaddie after we hopefully bring in someone like Bissouma, but I’d still rather see Elneny gone first before getting to Xhaka.

mirrorstare

Ceballos gets forgotten because nobody stans for him, don't give it much thought it's a W for the forum that nobody cares about that loanee

I can't remember the match but he was playing nicely with Partey, who when subbed off saw our control of the game crumble.

Feel free to remember, there weren't that many

Your options are

Burnley (A) where we could finally push forward again after he got subbed off and lost control in the whole second half
Aston Villa (A) where we weren't really in control and the match was killed when Laca was subbed out anyway
Wolves (A) when he sent a nice ball at minute 1 but lost control even before the David Luiz foul, sacrificed by Runarsson
Soton (A) where Xhaka was excellent and think any lost control case was just a fun isolated Willian moment (subbed in for ESR anyway)
Newcastle (H) where Partey did well but we didn't really lose control, in fact we scored another goal
Tottenham (A) where the lack of control was on Arteta when he shoved Partey back to the pitch

And that's it

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Ceballos gets forgotten because nobody stans for him, don't give it much thought it's a W for the forum that nobody cares about that loanee

Feel free to remember, there weren't that many

Your options are

Burnley (A) where we could finally push forward again after he got subbed off and lost control in the whole second half
Aston Villa (A) where we weren't really in control and the match was killed when Laca was subbed out anyway
Wolves (A) when he sent a nice ball at minute 1 but lost control even before the David Luiz foul, sacrificed by Runarsson
Soton (A) where Xhaka was excellent and think any lost control case was just a fun isolated Willian moment (subbed in for ESR anyway)
Newcastle (H) where Partey did well but we didn't really lose control, in fact we scored another goal
Tottenham (A) where the lack of control was on Arteta when he shoved Partey back to the pitch

And that's it
I mentioned one match. Not several. Just the one. I can't be bothered to try and recall the exact match but I do think we won for a change. We haven't had consistent control of a midfield or match since Santi stopped playing. We may have dominated in patches but that is different to control. You've mentioned a lot of games where we lost control that I can't even remember. The point is that at no time did Xhaka stop the rot. I'm sure he wanted to. He's just not capable. We may lose control as a team but a lot of that stems from an inadequate centre. You've just reminded me of all the times Xhaka was essentially a stat padding passenger

Legend14

Established Member
The problem with Xhaka isn’t just limited to mistakes though is it? We almost have to build our style around one player whose basically painfully average. Someone on here blamed Leno for giving it on his right foot... I mean if that’s what the discussion boils down to, we are in much deeper **** than we realise. The guy can’t lace the boots of someone like Cazorla for whom it was second nature receiving the ball on either foot.

A lot of Xhaka’s mistakes have come from distrust in his own technique or being pressed aggressively. We used to have midfielders who never had these problems. It’s time for us to move on and find someone more mobile and technically sound.
I don’t think Xhaka is who we need to move forward. I was just pointing out that he has done what he can do all season long except for two incidences.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
ye
Why is it so hard for you to accept Xhaka was at wrong here? Even Xhaka himself came out and apologised for his mistake. Partey collected the ball in the exact same area and it led to our first goal. Clearly that was the game plan but Xhaka messed up. Stop behaving like Manburg and be reasonable.
yeah.. great move passing it straight forward 10 yards in the middle to a player being pressed .. truly bum squad logic

kash2

Dude it wasn’t like Leno blindsided him with an unexpected pass. Xhaka could see the whole play too before he decided to run towards Leno calling for the ball. He’s owned it, we move on.
just because xhaka is calling for it doesnt mean the goalkeeper has to keep his brain aside.. it was the stupidest pass possible

Iceman10

Established Member
Regarding Leno vs. Xhaka for relative shares of blame there is good insight and analysis here from Curtis Shaw. Worth taking tine to view and listen to learn something, in my opinion, particularly for those apportioning any blame on Leno to think and reconsider.

kash2

Dude, it looked like Xhaka was checking to him to hit it on his right foot to our defender on the right side. Instead, Xhaka has to take 3 touches on a tame ground pass before he can do anything. If you can't see that, then...

You're the bum squad, here to defend a bum like Xhaka.
its simply horrible coaching and tactics. common sense has to come first and Leno simply has to stop getting brain freezes and act decisively. The bumsquad are beyond hope so your response isnt surprising

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
its simply horrible coaching and tactics. common sense has to come first and Leno simply has to stop getting brain freezes and act decisively. The bumsquad are beyond hope so your response isnt surprising
Far be it from me to defend the loser Bumteta, but City and Liverpool have won the last 4 titles while playing out from the back. The only difference is no Xhaka

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
just because xhaka is calling for it doesnt mean the goalkeeper has to keep his brain aside.. it was the stupidest pass possible
Have you even watched it? Xhaka’s touch causing the situation not Leno’s pass.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
it was a stupid pass and unnecessary. Leno was really stupid to roll a pass straignt down the middle
It wasn’t though, see these plays regularly with any team that wants to play out from the back.

Most effective way to beat the press is to pass out of it not continuously hoof it long. Xhaka took a stupid touch, there’s no denying it.

kash2

It wasn’t though, see these plays regularly with any team that wants to play out from the back.

Most effective way to beat the press is to pass out of it not continuously hoof it long. Xhaka took a stupid touch, there’s no denying it.
ah well..maybe in your world its a great pass to make for a goalkeeper, just rolling it down into the danger zone to a player running towards him closely followed by an opponent.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
ye

yeah.. great move passing it straight forward 10 yards in the middle to a player being pressed .. truly bum squad logic
It was hardly a strong press. A first time pass or hoof clears the danger. Look at Gundogan in the 82nd minute vs Utd for a harder press and better execution to beat it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom