• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

But he just made a mistake against Leicester. The criteria is his rate of making mistakes is abnormal compared to every other player.
Is it though? That’s basically what I’m asking. The mistake against Leicester wasn’t a ‘disaster’ or a ‘brain dead Xhaka moment’. It was good pressing from Leicester.

I don’t think he makes mistakes that often anymore, but there should be a stat out there that can settle this relatively easy.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I see no reason to think that at the age of 28 Xhaka has suddenly unlocked the ability to play at this level consistently
Agree with the, ‘we’ve seen it all before’ and tbf I wouldn’t be surprised either way.

28 is the kind of age where players can go up a level and find that consistency/understanding of the game that they hadn’t before. That’s why IMO there’s a chance things have changed, that and finally having a solid midfield partner.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
19 seasons of Champions League football in a row, before signing Granit...0 seasons of Champions League football in 4 attempts, after signing Granit.

"Xhaka, the numbers don't lie and they spell disaster for you!"
Scott Steiner, the world's greatest mathematician

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
Agree with the, ‘we’ve seen it all before’ and tbf I wouldn’t be surprised either way.

28 is the kind of age where players can go up a level and find that consistency/understanding of the game that they hadn’t before. That’s why IMO there’s a chance things have changed, that and finally having a solid midfield partner.
He literally gifted the only real chance Benfica had in their home game. He ain't changing

say yes

forum master baiter
Is it though? That’s basically what I’m asking. The mistake against Leicester wasn’t a ‘disaster’ or a ‘brain dead Xhaka moment’. It was good pressing from Leicester.

I don’t think he makes mistakes that often anymore, but there should be a stat out there that can settle this relatively easy.
I rate Xhaka, but he's going to be the target of (legitimate) criticism unless he cuts out the awful mistakes (e.g. red card vs Burnley). There is simply no excuse for those.

He's also going to be given more stick for minor mistakes (e.g. Leicester's goal). It's annoying (and arguably unfair) given all players make those, but it's also understandable given how many he mas made in the past. There is just no patience for him anymore.

Don't think that will change until he has an elite / mistake-free year so people can reset their views on him.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Jokes aside, I feel a fully fit Partey playing all our games could really take Xhaka up a level, Thomas is that good for me.

So next season could be make or break for Granit, imo.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice

Fair points. I can't disagree with any of that :)

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
The mistake against Leicester should not have happened but a lot went wrong after that. Should’ve knocked it along the line to give Willian a chance to turn on it rather than get it under his feet, but you wouldn’t expect us to concede from there once possession is lost.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
How long does he have to go without a major mistake for his next one to just be a blip and not confirmation that he's a ticking time bomb?

We're currently seeing a new mature Xhaka and he's going to make mistakes like every single footballer out there. It's not fair to wait for his next mistake (providing they happen infrequently) then use that to say 'same old Xhaka'. What's the criteria?
He literally made a mistake in the last game we had. The only difference was we didn't lose. 'New and improved Xhaka' I'm not sure about that. Same guys thst were telling me he changed a new leaf when we switched to a back 5 and won the FA Cup went very quiet at the beginning of the season when Xhaka was being poor. As I have stated before, Xhaka has periods where he looks poor and then he looks class. Right now we're in the 'class' stage but soon enough he'll revert. That's basically been his character development for about 5 seasons. Either you refuse to acknowledge that or you don't remember.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
The mistake against Leicester should not have happened but a lot went wrong after that. Should’ve knocked it along the line to give Willian a chance to turn on it rather than get it under his feet, but you wouldn’t expect us to concede from there once possession is lost.
A lot went wrong after it, but it started with him being caught with no options because he was static on the sideline. Lazy movement by Williand and a lazy pass causing our team to be caught in transition, which is the most dangerous situation to lose the ball in basically. Elneny was the only other midfielder behind the ball, don't know why he casually ran back to the two other CB's who covered Vardy already. Should've made a diagonal run to close the space.

RunTheTrap

There were a couple of 2-3 months spell under Wenger when we were seeing the 'new mature Xhaka', then he reverted back to type. Same under Emery and there was a similar spell under Arteta last season.

I'm not saying he's never allowed to make a mistake again but you have to judge players in the context of their career history. I see no reason to think that at the age of 28 Xhaka has suddenly unlocked the ability to play at this level consistently when we've been through these good spells before and each time he's dropped off again.

If you're making the case that this is now Xhaka's level and not a purple patch, history is very much against you.
Exactly. I put it like this. Let's say you've been married for 5 years and in that marriage you have massive low points followed by big highs. Let's say she cheats on you every once in awhile but there are periods where she makes you feel good, am I wrong in being sceptical in how long the good time lasts? It seems like some people only want to look at players when we're in the honeymoon stage.
Now, I will caveat this by saying at 28 you would think Xhaka would have matured by now. Personally, for me I don't believe a leopard changes their spots but that's me. I just wish people would stop accusing those who don't rate Xhaka as having an agenda. It's completely normal and probably advisable to judge players with evidence and their track history and not just on the good times.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
To me it just looks like a certain group are homeless now that Özil is gone and have gathered their energies and set up here.

It will be interesting what they will say the day Xhaka leaves and the club is still whatever. The lot of them will probably camp in some other players thread.
The Xhaka thread has been like this for years and most of us hardly bothered with the Özil thread. Not sure where your assumption comes from.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
To me it just looks like a certain group are homeless now that Özil is gone and have gathered their energies and set up here.

It will be interesting what they will say the day Xhaka leaves and the club is still whatever. The lot of them will probably camp in some other players thread.
Lol. Xhaka has always been criticized for the past 5 years he's been here. My first post on AM was a criticism of Xhaka after he had a stinker in the NLD and gave away a penalty. I don't know why when when you don't rate a player people call it agenda

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Mari does have to take some blame for it. The reason Xhaka has the all time record for errors leading to goal is that Xhaka loses the ball in that manner in situations where you don't expect to lose possession that catches the entire team off guard. One moment you are preparing yourself to go forward on an attack and the next moment, the possession is with the other team that's running at you for the goal. There has been many times our defence has saved us. But if he loses it at this rate, we are bound to let goals in.

All you have to do is watch the goal again. Stop the play when Xhaka loses it and see where Mari and El neny is and watch their movement from the moment their players have the ball to the moment he enters our penalty area and shoots. All the players went to vardy and it never crossed their mind he would shoot, hence they all backed off him and let him enter the penalty area unchallenged. It was one of the most pathetic goals any team has conceded this season and Xhaka has far less blame than those two errors. I dont care how many previous errors he has. Doesnt mean we gonna blame for everyting

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Don't think that will change until he has an elite / mistake-free year so people can reset their views on him.
Not sure why I bother with this thread..You’re the only person who’s actually answered my question so thanks. The thing is a mistake-free year is simply impossible so there’s that. :lol:

RunTheTrap

Partey probably has more giveaways this season than Xhaka despite playing a fraction of the minutes....
Yeah and how many of those giveaways has led to a goal. Watch the game. Partey plays higher up the pitch and attracts more danger while Xhaka is deeper. Don’t forget, Xhaka needs Partey. Partey can get a MOTM at Old Trafford with Elneny. When Partey has a bad game we don’t lose, when Xhaka has a poor game we lose. Partey’s worse level is still higher than Xhaka at base level.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
How long does he have to go without a major mistake for his next one to just be a blip and not confirmation that he's a ticking time bomb?

We're currently seeing a new mature Xhaka and he's going to make mistakes like every single footballer out there. It's not fair to wait for his next mistake (providing they happen infrequently) then use that to say 'same old Xhaka'. What's the criteria?
Interesting argument tbh.

At what point do we decide to discount the history and draw a line under it, if he looks to have turned a corner? Are the errors relevant now?

I used to use that argument against those who claimed RvP was still ‘injury prone’ despite him going that long period injury-free after his longer lay/offs. It was a problem that didn’t appear to be one anymore, so do we wipe the slate and accept that he may just get a little knock from time to time like any other player, and cease calling him a crock and expecting his nose to fall off at any moment?

You could compare Xhaka’s situation to the teams... We also looked to have turned a corner, only it’s much easier to identify. A lot of people will just point to the table though, and say ‘but we’re still 11th/9th! lol’.

We can’t erase the results that put us where we are, much like RvP couldn’t retrospectively fix his legs and like Xhaka can’t erase his blunders.

It would be interesting to hear the views of somebody who would apply what you suggest to be the case with Xhaka, but at the very same time will only point to us being mid-table and deny that we could be (we evidently are) on the up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom