• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
To me it just looks like a certain group are homeless now that Özil is gone and have gathered their energies and set up here.

It will be interesting what they will say the day Xhaka leaves and the club is still whatever. The lot of them will probably camp in some other players thread.
I strongly disagree with that. The Xhaka forum is more aligned with the Giroud page when he was here. Most of us were sick of Giroud but you had a small section who continued to defend Giroud up until he left.
The Özil page was related to things that were more to do with football. There were accusations of Islamophobia, politics, revisionism, tribalism, and conspiracy theories that may or may not be true. It’s completely different to this. We argue on Xhaka on mostly what he does on the pitch and how the fan base see him.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I don't see the comparisons with the Özil thread or whatever.

The one thing you have to give Xhaka, if nothing else, is that he works his socks off on the pitch and during training, from what his 3 managers here have said about him they love his attitude. You can't say Xhaka's not giving his all for the club. So I do respect him quite a bit on that front.

Some of us just don't think he's up to starting standard here. I'd be okay with him being a squad option really.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I've only ever commented on him as a player. I listen to other posters positive opinions and I try to see what they see. I've tempered my comments in the interest of forum harmony, but to be honest, I think he's rubbish. The best thing about him as a player have been his few goals and his durability (which feels more like a hindrance as he plays). No doubt after a fit Partey, he's the best we have but the midfield is dross so that means nothing. I watch videos of past midfielders in every midfield position and there isn't one that I hate seeing on the pitch like I do Xhaka. Every match I'm literally banging my head in frustration. I'm not angry about him throwing down the shirt and I don't want an apology for any past misdeeds. I just want him gone. Social media and opinions here haven't influenced me but there's something depressing about him that even his handsome face doesn't make up for. He seems a nice guy but there's a lingering whiff of Gazidis and StatDNA about his signing. He's been wrong from day one and not even a performance that many will hail as good looks good to me because the bar is set so low. We may not improve and even get worse if he's sold in the summer, but the renewed hope of the slimmest chance of success will be enough to cheer the start of the new season. He's become the poster boy for our poor management and on field decline more than any other player. I wish him well elsewhere. I guess I'm triggered :(

Kysus

Yeah and how many of those giveaways has led to a goal. Watch the game. Partey plays higher up the pitch and attracts more danger while Xhaka is deeper. Don’t forget, Xhaka needs Partey. Partey can get a MOTM at Old Trafford with Elneny. When Partey has a bad game we don’t lose, when Xhaka has a poor game we lose. Partey’s worse level is still higher than Xhaka at base level.
Partey has an elite midfielder behind him to clear up his mess, Xhaka does not.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I've only ever commented on him as a player. I listen to other posters positive opinions and I try to see what they see. I've tempered my comments in the interest of forum harmony, but to be honest, I think he's rubbish. The best thing about him as a player have been his few goals and his durability (which feels more like a hindrance as he plays). No doubt after a fit Partey, he's the best we have but the midfield is dross so that means nothing. I watch videos of past midfielders in every midfield position and there isn't one that I hate seeing on the pitch like I do Xhaka. Every match I'm literally banging my head in frustration. I'm not angry about him throwing down the shirt and I don't want an apology for any past misdeeds. I just want him gone. Social media and opinions here haven't influenced me but there's something depressing about him that even his handsome face doesn't make up for. He seems a nice guy but there's a lingering whiff of Gazidis and StatDNA about his signing. He's been wrong from day one and not even a performance that many will hail as good looks good to me because the bar is set so low. We may not improve and even get worse if he's sold in the summer, but the renewed hope of the slimmest chance of success will be enough to cheer the start of the new season. He's become the poster boy for our poor management and on field decline more than any other player. I wish him well elsewhere. I guess I'm triggered :(
I think you’re really a big fan of the player, Mrs B... I just think you need somewhere to vent so you come to this thread to criticise him irrationally 🤷‍♂️

blaze_of_glory

I rate Xhaka, but he's going to be the target of (legitimate) criticism unless he cuts out the awful mistakes (e.g. red card vs Burnley). There is simply no excuse for those.

He's also going to be given more stick for minor mistakes (e.g. Leicester's goal). It's annoying (and arguably unfair) given all players make those, but it's also understandable given how many he mas made in the past. There is just no patience for him anymore.

Don't think that will change until he has an elite / mistake-free year so people can reset their views on him.
Probably take something like that, if anything can do it at this point. He's easily been one of our top performers overall this year and gets just as much **** as ever.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
To me it just looks like a certain group are homeless now that Özil is gone and have gathered their energies and set up here.

It will be interesting what they will say the day Xhaka leaves and the club is still whatever. The lot of them will probably camp in some other players thread.
I strongly disagree with that. The Xhaka forum is more aligned with the Giroud page when he was here. Most of us were sick of Giroud but you had a small section who continued to defend Giroud up until he left.
The Özil page was related to things that were more to do with football. There were accusations of Islamophobia, politics, revisionism, tribalism, and conspiracy theories that may or may not be true. It’s completely different to this. We argue on Xhaka on mostly what he does on the pitch and how the fan base see him.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Amazes me how all the Xhaka fans come out the woodwork when he manages to go five minutes without basically kicking the ball into his own net but when he has his usual Xhaka performances....

If I speak....

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I don't think you can really compare the Xhaka thread and the Özil one. The Özil thread became filled with all sorts of manner of things, from politics to Islamophobia, then onto attempted robbery and what not.

The Xhaka thread has hinged on two major things, his abilities as a footballer and the incident with the armband. That I think is a reasonably fair assessment.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I'm also amazed how fans complain that we can't sell our valuable assets when the time is right and we get nothing for all of our best players like Ramsey, Jack, Özil and Alexis, yet here we have a Swiss captain in the prime of his career, with a readymade homegrown replacement already at the club and yet there is zero talk of selling him?

Are we going to hold on to a bunch of below average to average players again for stability and "consistency" purposes again?

Have we learned nothing from the Mertesacker, Monreal, Giroud and Cech era? Especially when those "consistent" players are the focal point of the team instead of supplements to it.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I'm also amazed how fans complain that we can't sell our valuable assets when the time is right and we get nothing for all of our best players like Ramsey, Jack, Özil and Alexis, yet here we have a Swiss captain in the prime of his career, with a readymade homegrown replacement already at the club and yet there is zero talk of selling him?

Are we going to hold on to a bunch of below average to average players again for stability and "consistency" purposes again?

Have we learned nothing from the Mertesacker, Monreal, Giroud and Cech era? Especially when those "consistent" players are the focal point of the team instead of supplements to it.
Whose the ready made homegrown replacement?

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Maitland Niles
I think AMN is done here and his loan looks like a bad choice. I favour Willock next to Partey. Two technically sound athletes who can beat a press, go b2b and put in a defensive shift. Two complete midfielders who are comfortable with the ball-like Petit and Vieira lite

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I think AMN is done here and his loan looks like a bad choice. I favour Willock next to Partey. Two technically sound athletes who can beat a press, go b2b and put in a defensive shift. Two complete midfielders who are comfortable with the ball-like Petit and Vieira lite

I pray you're wrong, Alan Davies made a good point on the Tuesday club. About how the club is throwing away it's homegrown talent in favour of foreign players who really aren't that much better. See Willian being brought in and played ahead of Reiss Nelson for the entire season, 200k a week and 4 assists to show for it.

I'd love for AMN to be in the mix for the next 5 years. It isn't like we're pulling up any trees at the moment. Willock is a bit green IMO. He does some of everything but none of it very well.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

Willock is a complete midfielder??

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
I pray you're wrong, Alan Davies made a good point on the Tuesday club. About how the club is throwing away it's homegrown talent in favour of foreign players who really aren't that much better. See Willian being brought in and played ahead of Reiss Nelson for the entire season, 200k a week and 4 assists to show for it.

I'd love for AMN to be in the mix for the next 5 years. It isn't like we're pulling up any trees at the moment. Willock is a bit green IMO. He does some of everything but none of it very well.
It's a great point. Who's to say Willock and AMN wouldn't be better options than Ceballos and Elneny IF they got the minutes those 2 have received? It's fair enough people thinking Willock and AMN aren't good enough for us but a start here or a sub appearance there isn't a fair judgement in my opinion. They're both getting big minutes on loan to end the season and doing well so hopefully Arteta will reassess them in pre season again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom