• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Just a reminder of how bad he has been.

In less than 5 years, in Premier League alone, Xhaka has
9 errors leading to goals.
5 penalties conceded.
3 red cards.

Even if we take these stats conservatively, we can safely say that Xhaka has been sabotaging at least 2 matches every season for us. Are his fanboys really going to say that Xhaks hasn't played a part in Arsenal dropping out of top 4 ever since he joined us? How can we carry a player like him every season and still expect to qualify for CL?
And that is without even taking all the mediocre games in between he has played. Hope this can be a turning point in Arteta's and Edu's evaluation of him. One can at least dream...

RacingPhoton

Established Member
And for the ones who claim that the errors leading to goals are because our GK/defenders did not do their job probably, I request them all to watch some of those goals again. Typically, Xhaka loses the ball in situations where you don't expect us to lose the ball. Just when we are building up and getting ready forming a structure to attack, he loses the ball out of nowhere. It surprises everyone behind him. To context switch that fast is not simple. Xhaka loses ball in these situations very often. Many times, we do manage to defend well. But given the rate at which this happens, some of them are bound to end up as goals.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
At this point, I have nothing but pity for Xhaka fans. Just when they think they can come out of the closets and proudly claim they like Xhaka, he kicks them back to the closet.
But we know the drill. They will all disappear for some days and wait for a half decent performance. Then they will come back here claiming that we are seeing a fresh new Xhaka with renewed vigour and talent. They will ask for captaincy to be given back to him. They will want us to extend his contract. Above all, they will argue that we should not be buying a new CM because Xhaka is more than enough for us.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Of all the mistakes he's made, this is the most damaging. Xhaka hampers our buildup play & offers nothing in the way of defensive stability.

Arsenal's worst signing of the current century.
Think the Lounging tackle on Son in the NLD derby back in 2019 was worse than this.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I feel like people Xhaka because of his character. He comes across as an "alpha male" and a "leader". Xhaka's like that guy who will be the first to go into a burning house and try and save people but more often than not he ends up in a gulf of flames due to his own incompetence. His heart is in the right place but he doesn't have the ability.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
If Mikel thinks Xhaka is our starting midfielder going forward, but I'm sorry he's got to go. He's been semi-decent in recent weeks but you just knew something like this will happen. As long as this guy is here, we ain't finishing top 4.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Of all the mistakes he's made, this is the most damaging. Xhaka hampers our buildup play & offers nothing in the way of defensive stability.

Arsenal's worst signing of the current century.
I was at Emirates watching our home match against Brighton in 2018-19 season. We were leading by a goal. Xhaka conceded a totally stupid and unnecessary penalty in the second half. The match ended in a draw. A week later we realised that we could have qualified for CL with those two points. I would say that was the most damaging. A clear cut opportunity at CL missed.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
At this point, I have nothing but pity for Xhaka fans. Just when they think they can come out of the closets and proudly claim they like Xhaka, he kicks them back to the closet.
But we know the drill. They will all disappear for some days and wait for a half decent performance. Then they will come back here claiming that we are seeing a fresh new Xhaka with renewed vigour and talent. They will ask for captaincy to be given back to him. They will want us to extend his contract. Above all, they will argue that we should not be buying a new CM because Xhaka is more than enough for us.
We've warned them repeatedly this would happen didn’t we? Nothing will change tho
The problem is that the management is also like these fanboys & fall for his antics over & over. That's why we haven’t binned & replaced him in five goddamn years

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

I was at Emirates watching our home match against Brighton in 2018-19 season. We were leading by a goal. Xhaka conceded a totally stupid and unnecessary penalty in the second half. The match ended in a draw. A week later we realised that we could have qualified for CL with those two points. I would say that was the most damaging. A clear cut opportunity at CL missed.

I was driving home from work listening to the BBC & almost caused an accident with how irate I was smacking the steering wheel, merging into different lanes. Thank God it never got worse :lol:

RacingPhoton

Established Member
I feel like people Xhaka because of his character. He comes across as an "alpha male" and a "leader". Xhaka's like that guy who will be the first to go into a burning house and try and save people but more often than not he ends up in a gulf of flames due to his own incompetence. His heart is in the right place but he doesn't have the ability.
He does act like leader, alpha male etc. But this character comes with arrogance as add-on. He came here at the age of 24 when he had the same weaknesses. The first step for a player towards correcting weaknesses is to accept that the weakness exists and working on fixing it. But he is not the kind of player who will accept that he made a mistake in the first place. It is always someone else's fault. No wonder he did not get better in a single attribute during his five years' stay here. Players like CR7 may come across as arrogant too. But when they make mistakes, they are usually furious with themselves. But for the likes of Xhaka it is always "Why didn't the GK stop that? Why didn't our forwards score? Why didn't anyone drop back to collect the ball?"

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
On a serious note. At what point do we say enough is enough? Like what's the end game. What would Xhaka have to do to make up for the errors and we can call his transfer a success? I mean think about it. He's been here for 5 years and we have regressed every season he's been here. I was thinking about other poor transfers and I thought of Torres and how washed he was for Chelsea. But at least he helped Chelsea to a CL. Does anyone think Xhaka could do that for us? Let's say he gets a 3 year extension and that takes him to 8 years at Arsenal, what do we gain from that? What does he gain? Surely if you're a Xhaka fanboy and you truly believe he's one of the best in the world, then why wouldn't you want him to go somewhere where he's appreciated. I just think it's just toxic at this point to still believe in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom