• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Xhak Off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Which is one of the reasons that you cannot wait to happen :lol:

Nah, not interested in such debates. The simple fact that the tone of this thread has drastically changed as well as the very good reception he's getting from the fans at Emirates and away is a big telling sign that he has won the argument over his biggest critics about what he brings to the team.

Long may it continue !
Well you have to compare what he was bringing and what he now brings. We don’t have to speak about the old days and the bad days in his old position and that’s fine, but it would be disingenuous to erase them or act like nothing was ever wrong. I don’t want to focus on that now and I haven’t. I would rather see these passionate performances during our victories. The only medals to be one here are Arsenals ultimately 🏆

DavidHillier

Back to A-M 😞
I don't think I'll ever bring myself to warm to him, sing or chant his name, etc.

However, he seems to playing better. Fair play.

Liverpool seems like an acid test in terms of a Xhaka head-fart next week, though.

Fallout

Just because he’s doing extremely well as a box to box in this team, doesn’t mean he was delivering the goods as our deepest midfielder in years gone by. Can’t just rewrite history. That said, if he got a run of games in the Partey role and still played to this standard, then people could start claiming “I told you so”.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Seeing Xhaka in a more advanced role, and being able to move more comfortably around the pitch because of our positional system has once again reignited my interest in Tielemans. I believe we can have Youri play a similar role for us across the pitch, as Xhaka rotation in the league and other competitions.

I think we should go for Tielemans in January. He could slot into our EL team for the knockouts and give Xhaka a much needed break. Hopefully 15m or so should do the trick.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
Season after season when he played in the 6 he would top or be near the top of premier league or even across Europe for stats showing passes into the final third or progressive passing, and people say he was a poor 6 rofl. He was on the level of Xabi Alonso and Pirlo in the premier league but most fans in England simply didn’t have the football IQ to see it. And contrary to popular belief, he plays that same six role for Switzerland and pretty much always has since 2016 too. It’s not the Partey 6, it’s the regista 6, and he’s always performed to a world class level.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The thing with Xhaka as well is that he will age well. He has no pace to rely on anyway and his understanding of the game will only get better. We probably should be looking at extending his contract, think he only has a few years left.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

The thing with Xhaka as well is that he will age well. He has no pace to rely on anyway and his understanding of the game will only get better. We probably should be looking at extending his contract, think he only has a few years left.
He has contract until 2024 plus an option for another year.

I think there is no hurry, he just turned 30. He will likely extend even with one year in contract, and it's not like he will have huge value when he is 32 years old. Next summer he should be extended for another year or something.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He has contract until 2024 plus an option for another year.

I think there is no hurry, he just turned 30. He will likely extend even with one year in contract, and it's not like he will have huge value when he is 32 years old. Next summer he should be extended for another year or something.

Oh right fair enough, just thought he had a year left after next summer.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Just because he’s doing extremely well as a box to box in this team, doesn’t mean he was delivering the goods as our deepest midfielder in years gone by. Can’t just rewrite history. That said, if he got a run of games in the Partey role and still played to this standard, then people could start claiming “I told you so”.
His *standard* currently is the same amount of open play shot creating as Kevin DeBruyne. Currently holding Spot Nr.1 on that across the entire premier league.

So, no. Obviously not. Even to his fans he exceeded expectations on that.

What people have defending him for years about is that he contributed tons for years. Far outweighing the bad people were scapegoating him for on a toxic level. That's not to mention people are now noticing and praising him for a lot of stuff that he's been doing for years, and despite the fact that he's actually doing less this year due to his changed role. Backed up by several stats as well which actually have gone down these past 2 years.

Mourinho and Patrick Vieira have pointed that out as well over the years. There's a reason people back him, there's a reason every manager backs him (even Emery praised him post Arsenal), there's a reason players respect him.

*He's also always been around the Top 5 for progressive passes when he was deeper. People in here tried to mindbend that out of existence for agendas, but I'm not backing down anymore.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

His *standard* currently is the same amount of open play shot creating as Kevin DeBruyne. Currently holding Spot Nr.1 on that across the entire premier league.

What people have defending him for years about is that he contributed tons for years. Far outweighing the bad people were scapegoating him for on a toxic level. That's not to mention people are now noticing and praising him for a lot of stuff that he's been doing for years, and despite the fact that he's actually doing less this year due to his changed role. Backed up by several stats as well which actually have gone down these past 2 years.

Mourinho and Patrick Vieira have pointed that out as well over the years. There's a reason people back him, there's a reason every manager backs him (even Emery praised him post Arsenal), there's a reason players respect him.

*He's also always been around the Top 5 for progressive passes when he was deeper. People in here tried to mindbend that out of existence for agendas, but I'm not backing down anymore.
I remember bringing those progressive and final third passing stats comparisons couple years ago, and got huge backslash on how in Xhaka's case they just don't count, because he often passes to the left side of the field. :lol:

I have often said how Xhaka's importance goes unnoticed, and people who hate him don't see those things, but only remember when he makes some big mistake. Then you have things like when Sommer clearly made a bad pass to him in the one Switzerland game, and these "eye test guys" blamed Xhaka for Sommer's mistake.

What makes Xhaka so important to our play, especially in his new position, is his intelligence as a footballer and engine. His strength never was to defend counter-attacks, it's his weakness. But defending and positioning otherwise is his great strength (apart from those brain farts he has reduced over the years.)

So currently he makes those runs to the box when he sees space, he has the engine to come back, and he can cover any position on the field when he sees need for it or danger. He will be an important player for us under Arteta in the coming years, just like I predicted in 2020.

Fallout

Unfortunately you need more than progressive passing in playing the role of deepest midfielder. Need to be able to receive the ball and turn under pressure, as well as shield the defense and tackle, as well as not make mistakes that lead to goals. Again lets not re-write history just because he's having his renaissance in a different position. Credit to Arteta for changing this man's career.

If you want to talk about reasons for x and y, there's a reason an entire stadium of fans boo'd him off the pitch and almost hounded him out of the club. And there's a reason the same set of fans are singing his praises today. Enough with the "I told you so's". Things change.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Unfortunately you need more than progressive passing in playing the role of deepest midfielder. Need to be able to receive the ball and turn under pressure, as well as shield the defense and tackle, as well as not make mistakes that lead to goals. Again lets not re-write history just because he's having his renaissance in a different position. Credit to Arteta for changing this man's career.

If you want to talk about reasons for x and y, there's a reason an entire stadium of fans boo'd him off the pitch and almost hounded him out of the club. And there's a reason the same set of fans are singing his praises today. Enough with the "I told you so's". Things change.

Nobody's rewriting history. You're just ignoring a large part of it.

Just as much as its fair to point out his mistakes and his issues in a deeper role in the prem don't expect us to just shut up about what he actually brought to us in those years either.

Last edited:

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Seeing Xhaka in a more advanced role, and being able to move more comfortably around the pitch because of our positional system has once again reignited my interest in Tielemans. I believe we can have Youri play a similar role for us across the pitch, as Xhaka rotation in the league and other competitions.

I think we should go for Tielemans in January. He could slot into our EL team for the knockouts and give Xhaka a much needed break. Hopefully 15m or so should do the trick.
I think we can do much better tbh, there’s so many interesting CM prospects in football no need to settle for Tielemans. Xhaka is super fit and good at managing his energies through a match and doesn’t have an issue playing 3 games in a week either.

Rather than going for Tielemans I would wait. See how Yunus develops for example. Patiño as well of course (Azeez too though the possibilities seem less there). Tonali is really interesting…I still believe a lot in Ilaix’s potential too. Surely other players I am forgetting or not knowing too.

Remember we’re also certainly going to see Fabio in this role too.

Tbf though, Tielemans passing ability with through balls is very interesting. Not to mention a good long shot. But I can’t help but think there’s a reason clubs have taken a pass on him (his lack of physicality— positional awareness?).

Fallout

Nobody's rewriting history. You're just ignoring a large part of it. Including why Xhaka lost it on that day.
Turns out fans aren't infalliable either.

Just as much as its fair to point out his mistakes and his issues in a deeper role in the prem don't expect us to just shut up about what he actually brought to us in those years either.
Fair enough, I still think he brought very little in that role, whereas clearly you and others do not ("on the level of Xabi Alonso and Pirlo in the premier league"). An argument that isn't worth rehashing given it's irrelevant to today.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
I think we can do much better tbh, there’s so many interesting CM prospects in football no need to settle for Tielemans. Xhaka is super fit and good at managing his energies through a match and doesn’t have an issue playing 3 games in a week either.

Rather than going for Tielemans I would wait. See how Yunus develops for example. Patiño as well of course (Azeez too though the possibilities seem less there). Tonali is really interesting…I still believe a lot in Ilaix’s potential too. Surely other players I am forgetting or not knowing too.

Remember we’re also certainly going to see Fabio in this role too.

Tbf though, Tielemans passing ability with through balls is very interesting. Not to mention a good long shot. But I can’t help but think there’s a reason clubs have taken a pass on him (his lack of physicality— positional awareness?).
Sancet is another one really worth watching (surprised Enrique didn’t give him a look this last international break).

Plus he makes for nice pun opportunities.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
@Taneruit @Erlis @drippin

My brothers in arms. We are the 100 against the million strong Persian army. We have defended the hill. Glory is ours.

>when you've been stanning for Xhaka for months and @BergMan doesn't recognise you when it counts

Baby Reaction GIF

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
The merchants that has claimed xhaka being goat for six years in full swing I see, neglecting his all too long periods of mediocrity

Fair play to him tho, what a season he is having

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom