• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Greatest RBs of All-Time

Who is it?

• Total voters

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I wouldn’t say it’s a back foot strategy that they implement, I don’t think they even need to since their CBs are usually camped on the half way line. A prime example of that is that clip I posted, Antonio, Fornals etc get in behind VVD and Konate during that match…Darwin Nunez was trying to do the same during the week too but Liverpool are most dangerous during that phase to spring on the counter.

It’s a bit of a trap for the opposition and they’ve been very successful at luring teams in then having TAA play the ball over the top to Mane, Salah, Jota etc. They done that tactic countless times against Benfica.

Check this:

I don’t care if he ‘can’t defend’ this kid might be the best RB in the world…and he’s 23.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I don’t care if he ‘can’t defend’ this kid might be the best RB in the world…and he’s 23.

On pure ability, he’s better than some of the great RBs that people bang on about but the “recency bias” gang will come out in full force and try to discredit this generation of footballers.

For me, Dani Alves is still the greatest I’ve watched in my lifetime but it’s scary that TAA is only 23. He can surpass him, for sure.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
On pure ability, he’s better than some of the great RBs that people bang on about but the “recency bias” gang will come out in full force and try to discredit this generation of footballers.

For me, Dani Alves is still the greatest I’ve watched in my lifetime but it’s scary that TAA is only 23. He can surpass him, for sure.

You can make a good case for Alves but for me Cafu is the best I've seen. Both magnificent players.
Lahm though a different sort of RB may not be far off either.

TAA is great though for sure. If he carries on at this rate by the time he's 30 or so he'll definitely be in the mix when we talk about best RB's ever.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

You can make a good case for Alves but for me Cafu is the best I've seen. Both magnificent players.

TAA is great though for sure. If he carries on at this rate by the time he's 30 or so he'll definitely be in the mix when we talk about best RB's ever.

Thought Cafu was elite and I rate him very highly too but I haven’t seen anything like Dani Alves especially during that period when Barcelona were hitting peak levels even during his Sevilla days he was so good. I see a lot of people praising Messi, Iniesta, Xavi etc during that period but for me, he was as important as those other players I mentioned.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

What was Cafu like? Can barely remember but he gets rated very highly

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

Thought Cafu was elite and I rate him very highly too but I haven’t seen anything like Dani Alves especially during that period when Barcelona were hitting peak levels even during his Sevilla days he was so good. I see a lot of people praising Messi, Iniesta, Xavi etc during that period but for me, he was as important as those other players I mentioned.

Yeah, maybe I've got rose tinted glasses as Cafu was who I grew up with as a kid. I guess I view him as kind of the prototype of what a modern RB should be.

I saw Cafu at the WC draw. He still looks like he could lace up his boots and run 20 miles a match :lol:

I agree with you about Alves not getting the recognition he deserved in that Barca side. In his position he was as good / important as a Xavi or Iniesta. I think Busquets falls into the underrated category there too.

It's crazy that in that Barca side there were 5-6 players who are legit in the conversation for best player ever in their position.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Alves is the GOAT right back imo. He's still very good now ffs. He almost redefined the role completely with the help of Pep. An extra midfielder in the build-up and an extra forward in attack. He was amazing.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

What was Cafu like? Can barely remember but he gets rated very highly

Basically what I consider the prototype for what modern RB's are.

Very quick, ridiculous engine ( He'd be up and down that right flank on the overlap like a yo-yo) good crosser, technically very sound. He had the defensive aspect too though. Played as a DM or CB at times. Very intelligent footballer. Real leader too.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Alves is the GOAT right back imo. He's still very good now ffs. He almost redefined the role completely with the help of Pep. An extra midfielder in the build-up and an extra forward in attack. He was amazing.

Cicinho was the one I thought would do what Dani Alves done. I remember at the time when Real Madrid signed him from Brazil and everyone was saying he’d be the next big thing etc then he came over and didn’t fulfill all the hype.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Basically what I consider the prototype for what modern RB's are.

Very quick, ridiculous engine ( He'd be up and down that right flank on the overlap like a yo-yo) good crosser, technically very sound. He had the defensive aspect too though. Played as a DM or CB at times. Very intelligent footballer. Real leader too.

The one I vividly remember was Maicon in that two year stretch from about 2008-2010. Was absolutely sensational going forward in the CL then World Cup.

Just a shame Bale took his soul in that Champions League game and sent him to the shadow realm overnight :lol:

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

The one I vividly remember was Maicon in that two year stretch from about 2008-2010. Was absolutely sensational going forward in the CL then World Cup.

Just a shame Bale took his soul in that Champions League game and sent him to the shadow realm overnight :lol:

Yeah, for that spell he was fantastic.

Never really seemed the same player after Bale destroyed him though. I know he was playing in Serie D in Italy a year or so ago :lol:

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

Seriously it’s mad right?

He went from a world class right back to dusted overnight. Never seen it before :lol:

It was very odd. I remember when he moved to Man City and couldn't knock Zabaleta out of the starting 11 or even get in the squad as a sub in front of Micah Richards.

That was only like 18 months after he was nominated for the Ballon d'Or and named the UEFA defender of the year too.

Seems like he just gave up to be honest :lol:

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

It was very odd. I remember when he moved to Man City and couldn't knock Zabaleta out of the starting 11 or even get in the squad as a sub in front of Micah Richards.

That was only like 18 months after he was nominated for the Ballon d'Or and named the UEFA defender of the year too.

Seems like he just gave up to be honest :lol:

F*cking hell I’d totally forgotten he even played for City :lol:

What a fall off.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Cicinho was the one I thought would do what Dani Alves done. I remember at the time when Real Madrid signed him from Brazil and everyone was saying he’d be the next big thing etc then he came over and didn’t fulfill all the hype.
I remember him getting smoked by Henry in the CL in 2006.

Kav

Established Member
Best RB I have seen play are in this order on ability alone (not silverware):

1. Cafu (Dani Alves on steroids) he had the skills and technique, speed and insane stamina but more importantly the man could ball. He was a midfielder or defenders nightmare. Not only did he make overlapping runs but he would literally start the attack and run with the ball himself past a whole defense and sometimes score. He was also good defensively but primarily he was an offensive right back.

2. Dani Alves ( great going forward not so great defensively) his biggest attribute in my opinion was his instinctive timing of knowing when to make forward runs, when to cross and he had skills. He read the game very well.

3. Phillip Lahm- I never liked his skill set but I respected the heck out of his brain. He knew how to do everything and do them at the right time. He could play anywhere in midfield or defense if you asked him to. He was very intelligent Both in terms of his passing and his positional play. Not the fastest or strongest but was very effective.

4). Lilian thuram- sometimes he played CB but when he was the RB for France from 97-00 he was immense. They wouldn’t have won the 98 World Cup without his contributions in my opinion. Best pure defender on my list.

5) Javier Zanetti - for a short period he was very good after Cafu. He had longevity on his side and played a number of different positions during his career. Like lahm he could play DM, DLP if you asked him to.

Top Bottom