• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Greatest RBs of All-Time

Who is it?

• Total voters

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

There are a lot of contenders here, were you will go "Yeah, fair enough" when someone says their name...it's very tight.

Zanetti is a classic one, great player...though every time I see him, I just think of Thierry mauling him in 2003.

That tired SpongeBob meme, was pretty much Javier after that game :lol:

I remember watching Henry do the same to that Roma team with the likes of Cafu, Samuel and Panucci in defence…he scored a hattrick and made them look pretty average.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
For his performance in the cup final at CB alone...

oleg-luzhny-of-arsenal-with-the-fa-cup-trophy-after-the-fa-cup-final-picture-id1220132000

...read some match reports from our games against Kiev in 1998 too, apparently he kept Overmars very quiet at Wembley, which is a very impressive thing to do...very underrated player.

Riou

Yuuuup! He was such a useful player for them. Diego Simeone probably would have been licking his lips had the amount of talent from Argentina at Inter Milan (Samuel, Zanetti, Cambiasso, Diego Milito etc) been available right now.

That Inter team was so good...that's Mourinho's most famous side for me, even more than his first Chelsea team.

Lucio and Samuel at CB... "**** right off!", says every CF that played against them :lol:

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

That Inter team was so good...that's Mourinho's most famous side for me, even more than his first Chelsea team.

Lucio and Samuel at CB... "**** right off!", says every CF that played against them :lol:

:lol:

The way they held out that unreal Barcelona team was memorable. Had that Barca team gone to the final, I think they would have wiped the floor with Bayern.

Those two were putting their bodies on the line, Julio Cesar was saving everything. IIRC they were playing with ten men for like 60 minutes after Thiago Motta was sent off in the first half.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Dani Alves revolutionized the position.
He did absolutely nothing different to what Cafu was doing better before him. While we're having this discussion, Roberto Carlos was considerably better than Marcelo in case anyone is feeling like going insane in that argument too.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
:lol:

The way they held out that unreal Barcelona team was memorable. Had that Barca team gone to the final, I think they would have wiped the floor with Bayern.

Those two were putting their bodies on the line, Julio Cesar was saving everything. IIRC they were playing with ten men for like 60 minutes after Thiago Motta was sent off in the first half.
I despise Mourinho but I struggle to think of a greater tactical masterclass in modern football. The performance he got out of that side against that opponent on that day is absolutely unmatched at least in my memory.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I loved Cafu when I was younger, he had everything. He was fast, skilful, insane stamina and his longevity was impressive. Alves, Thuram and Lahm were all exceptional too but I would definitely give the 'best in my lifetime' award to Cafu.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I despise Mourinho but I struggle to think of a greater tactical masterclass in modern football. The performance he got out of that side against that opponent on that day is absolutely unmatched at least in my memory.

Mad that his two CLs were two of the hardest runs possible as underdogs.

Never got over the line when he had huge money available with Chelsea and Real.

Bloodbather

Established Member

Cafu was comparable to Dani Alves offensively and clearly more solid defensively, which is why he edges him out imo. As important as Alves was to that Barcelona team, Cafu, along with Totti and Batistuta, was the key cog for Roma winning a loaded Serie A in 2001. His excellence as a wing-back in Capello's 3-5-2 was influential for Scolari's use of it in 2002, too.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
We should really have a poll for this. Could do one for each position and create the A-M all time 11.

• Goal
Reactions: A_G

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Cafu has been the default answer for 20 years now and there’s a reason for that, but you can’t argue with Alves either, both were titans. Lahm probably gets 3rd on the podium but obviously he never had the streets.

Reactions: Kav

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Most of the best ones have been covered. Zambrotta I've not seen mentioned but he was top class as well. Definitely top 10 in terms of right backs.

Riou

Isn't quite at the level of some of these greats, but really liked Sagnol every time I watched France.

Was quality for them, during 2006, when they should have won the World Cup.

Another one would be my boy Aaron Hughes, one of the few Northern Irish players I actually rated...might even still be playing now, tbh :lol:

Wasn't really just a RB, played everywhere in defence...or good enough to compare to others here, but was still a good player.

Good to mention ones you feel are underrated too.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Isn't quite at the level of some of these greats, but really liked Sagnol every time I watched France.

Was quality for them, during 2006, when they should have won the World Cup.

Another one would be my boy Aaron Hughes, one of the few Northern Irish players I actually rated...might even still be playing now, tbh :lol:

Wasn't really just a RB, played everywhere in defence...or good enough to compare to others here, but was still a good player.

Good to mention ones you feel are underrated too.

Smart you didn't call Sagnol by his first name.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Cafu gets a little overrated in my opinion, he was definitely the best RB of his time but couldn't hold a candle to Alves going forward. Think it's mostly his longevity and performances for Brazil that sway people towards him, never in his time at Roma or Milan did he dominate as much as he Alves did at Sevilla and Barcelona and even in terms of longevity the latter has outdone him by now.

Stronger 1v1 defensively sure (although Alves is much better than he's given credit for there) but as an overall right back Alves is clear.

Latest posts

Top Bottom