Group C: Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, England - The Group Of (Bored To) Death

Dokaka

AM's resident closet Arsenal fan
Makes you think why the premier league football writer’s player of the season under Pep can only play one good game in 30 under Southgate. Wonder why?

The whiplash in this thread is unreal. Somehow all of the following statements are true:

• It's the players' fault, they need to step up.
  • Southgate is ****.
  • The manager can't make them play well.
  • Foden only plays well for City because Pep makes him play well.
  • The players are getting exposed and aren't that good.
  • Team is full of league and CL winners.
I mean ffs :lol:

There is a golden rule in football: When a single player under-performs, it's on him/her. When an entire team under-performs, it's on the manager.

All this picking out various players to slam and speculate about player A getting in over player B is completely irrelevant when we all know what the real problem is here, and it's the man that has taken a team of elite players and made them look woeful against much worse opposition.

Putting Palmer in instead of Saka as an example isn't going to fix anything and the only reason it's being discussed is to drive views and clicks + the pundits generally love Southgate and don't want to upset their mate by stating the obvious.

Farzad

Stormy's Lifetime Fan and Subscriber #1 🫶🏽

Player:Havertz
The whiplash in this thread is unreal. Somehow all of the following statements are true:

• Southgate is ****.

There is a golden rule in football: When a single player under-performs, it's on him/her. When an entire team under-performs, it's on the manager.

All this picking out various players to slam and speculate about player A getting in over player B is completely irrelevant when we all know what the real problem is here, and it's the man that has taken a team of elite players and made them look woeful against much worse opposition.

Putting Palmer in instead of Saka as an example isn't going to fix anything and the only reason it's being discussed is to drive views and clicks + the pundits generally love Southgate and don't want to upset their mate by stating the obvious.
People have different opinions of what is wrong; it’s football it isn’t physics.

But of course you are right it is Southgate

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

• Southgate is ****.

And when said team underperforms in almost every big tournament they take part in regardless of manager, then maybe, just maybe, it’s the rest of the country’s fault?

I mean the expectations on England are always ridiculous from your fans and media and the team’s often overrated in the eyes of neutrals (my subjective reflection).

The one thing almost every English team I can remember has lacked is balance. It’s the same now. That’s not to say balance couldn’t be achieved in the squad you have, but we’re yet to see it.

But more than anything these players feel the weight of expectation on their shoulders. They genuinely look scared to fail.

Dokaka

AM's resident closet Arsenal fan
And when said team underperforms in almost every big tournament they take part in regardless of manager, then maybe, just maybe, it’s the rest of the country’s fault?

I mean the expectations on England are always ridiculous from your fans and media and the team’s often overrated in the eyes of neutrals (my subjective reflection).

The one thing almost every English team I can remember has lacked is balance. It’s the same now. That’s not to say balance couldn’t be achieved in the squad you have, but we’re yet to see it.

But more than anything these players feel the weight of expectation on their shoulders. They genuinely look scared to fail.

The country definitely doesn't help with the pressure etc, but let's not pretend the France, Italian or Spain NT isn't under similar pressure and has crumbled under it in the past. The main difference here is we're English speakers and get a much better insight into it, and while I do think the English media particularly is the worst, the difference isn't big enough to justify the performances.

I don't think this team lacks balance, the manager is just unwilling to set the team up. Some of that could definitely be both internal and external pressure, but the end result is the same. In any case, a lack of balance is a justifiable reason for maybe going out against great teams, but it doesn't excuse the performances against these far inferior teams.

We have seen these players play brilliantly, many in extreme pressure situations. We've never seen Southgate set a team up to anything but scrappy wins and draws, relying on individual brilliance etc.

The psychological aspect is fair to point out but it's literally only the manager and his staff who can try and work around it, and whether it's managing that or the tactical setup, Southgate is clearly coming up short.

A_G

Lost A Bet
No England vs Netherlands sadly, lucky Southgate
Spain, Germany, France, Belgium and Portugal all on the other side of the draw

Celebrate World Cup GIF by Three Lions

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Spain, Germany, France, Belgium and Portugal all on the other side of the draw

Celebrate World Cup GIF by Three Lions

Hopefully another double edged sword with this draw.

I don’t think you’re winning it no matter what. Struggleball through to the semis, elimination and a extension for four more years of Sir Gareth.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
It could potentially be easier than the other side but I certainly struggle to see england winning both those games myself
Austria are surprisingly one of the most compact teams, and although they have no stars, Rangnick has made them into a very well oiled machine.

I wouldn't be surprised if it comes to play them that Austria could knock either one of Italy or England.

Arsenal Quotes

One of the things I discovered in Japan was from watching sumo wrestling. At the end you can never tell who has won the fight, and who has lost, because they do not show their emotion because it could embarrass the loser. It is unbelievable. That is why I try to teach my team politeness. It is only here in England that everybody pokes their tongue out when they win.

Arsène Wenger

2024 Summer Transfers Deadline

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, July 19

Marseille would offer around £20m for Eddie Nketiah, but it’s likely that Arsenal would ask for more [Alan Nixon - The Sun]

West Ham are frontrunners to sign Reiss Nelson and a fee of £15m-20m could be enough to clinch a deal [Evening Standard]

Inter and Juventus have asked Arsenal about loaning Jakub Kiwior, but the club will only let him leave on a permanent transfer [Goal Poland]

Academy striker Chido Obi-Martin visited Manchester United’s training ground to discuss a move to the club [AcademyScoop]

Crystal Palace are preparing a £30m bid for Emile Smith Rowe [Ed Aarons - The Guardian]
Top Bottom