Euro 2020 Group D: Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Scotland

Who will go through to the next round?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Idiotologue

Exactly...insult to Arteta to group him with those jokers!
Was talking about Deschamps. Deschamps might be a boring, rigid manager, but he's definitely a very good manager. One of the game's better pragmatists. Many criticized him for what he did with France in at the World Cup, but I think he got it dead on. Played to the team's strengths instead of bringing in flashy players and achieving nothing.

People keep talking about him as if the France gig is something he got gifted because of his footballing career and he has nothing on his resumé as a manager. The guy led Monaco to a Champions League Final, beating Real Madrid and Chelsea on the way.

Troopz

Established Member
One of these is not like the others, imo.

Southgate and Deschamps are both cowards.

Deschamps has been gifted one of the best ever French squads in terms of quality/depth but they’re not as strong as they look on paper due to his system and favouritism. It took him years to reinstate a generational striker in Karim Benzema.

Arsène Wenger would have done a much better job than Deschamps imo.

Idiotologue

Deschamps has been gifted one of the best ever French squads in terms of quality/depth but they’re not as strong as they look on paper due to his system and favouritism. It took him years to reinstate a generational striker in Karim Benzema.
I disagree with this completely. France wouldn't win the World Cup had Deschamps favored his flashier players and built an attacking team. The strength of that team was their physicality and athleticism, so he went for a defensive counter-attacking side.

The reason he didn't bring in Benzema wasn't favoritism. He pretty much punished him for blackmailing a national teammate. I was surprised that he chose to reinstate him at all, and I wouldn't be surprised if he got pressured into doing so.

Troopz

Established Member
A lot of criticism on Sterling but I can understand why he's picked. He practically carried England through the qualification stage.

I’m actually a fan of Sterling but he’s totally out of form as is Rashford and in these sorts of competition, form counts for everything. Taking both of them is a massive mistake.

Biased aside, would you take Rashford?

Juan Matas Beard

Friendly Mancunian facial hair
Trusted ✔️
I’m actually a fan of Sterling but he’s totally out of form as is Rashford and in these sorts of competition, form counts for everything. Taking both of them is a massive mistake.

Biased aside, would you take Rashford?

Rashford shouldn't be going, the guy needs surgery ffs. Played almost the entire season injured. I'm impressed he still managed the numbers he did. Performance-wise he was nowhere near last season's form.

Troopz

Established Member
I disagree with this completely. France wouldn't win the World Cup had Deschamps favored his flashier players and built an attacking team. The strength of that team was their physicality and athleticism, so he went for a defensive counter-attacking side.

The reason he didn't bring in Benzema wasn't favoritism. He pretty much punished him for blackmailing a national teammate. I was surprised that he chose to reinstate him at all, and I wouldn't be surprised if he got pressured into doing so.

They had enough quality to breeze the whole competition but they limped through each stage of it. Not really a fan of this defensive style when he has a bunch of world class players at his disposal. Even in the final they got really lucky as Croatia looked excellent against them.

No, I didn’t mean favouritism in terms of Benzema but it’s for Giroud starting ahead of more talented players. Also, those are non footballing factors. It probably should have been a fine and a suspension for a few games but to remove a world class striker like that is criminal imo.

Every football fan wants to see the best players playing alongside each other and Mbappe should have been lining up alongside Benzema instead of that lamppost.

Troopz

Established Member
Rashford shouldn't be going, the guy needs surgery ffs. Played almost the entire season injured. I'm impressed he still managed the numbers he did. Performance-wise he was nowhere near last season's form.

I didn’t even realise he was injured. I was just going by the little bits that I’ve seen of him this season and it hasn’t looked good at all.

Seems like Southgate is gambling on a lot of injured players. If Maguire isn’t fully fit then England are in trouble. He should have taken Konsa or Tomori as an option since they’ve both looked really good this season.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ✔️
I hope Saka goes with England, even from an Arsenal perspective.

He'll be a utility player getting minimal minutes you'd think so I'm not overly concerned about fatigue. The experience of just being a part of the squad will stand him in good stead for the future I think.

Our young players getting to experience major tournaments even as peripheral figures is valuable.

TimoJens

Formerly known as highbury_2006
Seems like TAA will be in the squad listed as a midfielder. If that happens and Saka is excluded we will know that Southgate is a heavy drug user.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ✔️
4 right backs including TAA

Harry Maguire in

Saka in

c50cfdba-bf0b-40d8-bfd4-636b70d41437.png

yousif_arsenal

King of Twitter Rumours
6 fullbacks? come on Gareth. even tho i still think england capable of reaching semi final at least their talent upfront is best in europe apart from france maybe.

BaZZe

Bitterswede
Welp, Saka made the squad so I guess I'll root for England in some very specific circumstances.

Latest posts