Group D: Poland, Netherlands, Austria, France

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I thought they were way better last night than you were throwing 10 men behind the ball against Serbia.

Class of the competition and if they could finish should’ve been an easy 3 or 4.

I think France lacked control and it was kind of telling that Kante was their best player.

Austria are a better side than Serbia so fair enough.

I would put France as marginal favourites for the tournament but I think at times they can get slightly overhyped tbh. Players like Thuram and Dembele don't do much for me. Not sure Griezmann is quite the player he was either.

If France win it it'll be because they've got arguably the best defense in the tournament and a cheat code in Mbappe up top.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
I thought they were way better last night than you were throwing 10 men behind the ball against Serbia.

Class of the competition and if they could finish should’ve been an easy 3 or 4.
Austria are not just a better team they performed a lot better, that level of energy and aggression they would've got a result against most teams in the tournament.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Austria are not just a better team they performed a lot better, that level of energy and aggression they would've got a result against most teams in the tournament.

Serbia are possibly the poorest side at this tournament considering their talent level as well.

Austria had several good players and at this level a “top” manager. Ralf is probably top 3 at this Euros.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Serbia are possibly the poorest side at this tournament considering their talent level as well.

Austria had several good players and at this level a “top” manager. Ralf is probably top 3 at this Euros.
Serbia always **** the bed in tournaments for some reason. Kostic isn't what he used to be couple years ago but still one of the better wingers this tournament yet looked like dogshit out there.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
Serbia always **** the bed in tournaments for some reason. Kostic isn't what he used to be couple years ago but still one of the better wingers this tournament yet looked like dogshit out there.

We weren't in the EUROs since 2000s. Considering the talent that came through the country it's absurd but it all boils down to a corrupt FA IMO. Very bad state of affairs.

Coaching is piss poor as well, unbalanced squad. Stojkovic plays an inverting winger (zivkovic) as a RWB and Kostic a pure kick-and-run LWB on the other side. Too much reliance on Tadic, SMS, and Mitrovic to create something. The former on his last legs and the latter two are already semi-retired in Saudi league.

I hate Kostic but only watch him for national team so it maybe makes sense. To me he was always average AF.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
We weren't in the EUROs since 2000s. Considering the talent that came through the country it's absurd but it all boils down to a corrupt FA IMO. Very bad state of affairs.

Coaching is piss poor as well, unbalanced squad. Stojkovic plays an inverting winger (zivkovic) as a RWB and Kostic a pure kick-and-run LWB on the other side. Too much reliance on Tadic, SMS, and Mitrovic to create something. The former on his last legs and the latter two are already semi-retired in Saudi league.

I hate Kostic but only watch him for national team so it maybe makes sense. To me he was always average AF.
I watched every game of Kostic for the four years he was here, biased sure but imo a top 10 winger in Europe over that time and during his peak top 5 even. His game is sorta kick and rush but his tenacity, pace, crossing and long shot accuracy made him incredibly dangerous. Won us the Europe League on his own really, loads of MOTM performances against the likes of Barcelona Bayern Inter etc and in the final vs Rangers just in his last season.

30+ g/a several seasons in his prime here and that's from wing back. I know he doesn't do well for Serbia but that's on the NT, you ever speak ill of Kostic in Frankfurt people will jebem ti maiku pusi kurac you.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

This is what I mean I don’t see anyone really who’s a guy who’d be at the top level of a big 5 league due to form/age.

Same with Romania obviously but almost every other team has a guy of a very high level.

Point being as poor of a team as you have you were still very good value for at least a draw whilst yesterday France had some ridiculous chances that MBappe, Dembele, Griezmann and Giroud missed against a good Austria side.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I think France lacked control and it was kind of telling that Kante was their best player.

Tbf the top calibre players always have a big performance in them regardless of what they were doing throughout the season, so it’s not surprising at all. Zidane 2006 is instantly what comes to mind.

Kante rolling back the years to get a recovery tackle vs cardio merchants was some sight:

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Tbf the top calibre players always have a big performance in them regardless of what they were doing throughout the season, so it’s not surprising at all. Zidane 2006 is instantly what comes to mind.

Kante rolling back the years to get a recovery tackle vs cardio merchants was some sight:

I still think it's impressive he's playing in a poor league and still be able to put in performances like this in major tournaments. I don't think Kante is the sort to coast or drop a level being in a weak league anyway.

For me one of the best players of his generation..... in any position, bar Messi and Ronaldo.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
I watched every game of Kostic for the four years he was here, biased sure but imo a top 10 winger in Europe over that time and during his peak top 5 even. His game is sorta kick and rush but his tenacity, pace, crossing and long shot accuracy made him incredibly dangerous. Won us the Europe League on his own really, loads of MOTM performances against the likes of Barcelona Bayern Inter etc and in the final vs Rangers just in his last season.

30+ g/a several seasons in his prime here and that's from wing back. I know he doesn't do well for Serbia but that's on the NT, you ever speak ill of Kostic in Frankfurt people will jebem ti maiku pusi kurac you.
Hahahah. Yeah I see what you mean. Kostić was in red hot form for a few years and a staple for Juventus now so it's insane how average and out of place he often looks in the NT.

But it's similar to many other of our players when playing NT, even the famous back line of Kolarov-Vidic-Subotic-Ivanovic was ass during WC 2010, etc etc.

Xln

I rAtE aNgE !
Weird my brother in law die hard Juve fan absolutely hates Kostic, told me he's crap

Bloodbather

Established Member

I think the parallel drawn between France and England in terms of having a lot of talent but playing cautious reactive football is a false equivalency.

France has a lot of talent, but playing a defensive counter style actually makes sense for their personnel. They don't have elite playmaking and ball retention in the squad. Where they make the difference is their physical and athletic superiority. They also have the most dangerous open space threat in football in Mbappé. Sitting tight defensively, have teams bounce off the wall and then explode into open spaces is a very sensible approach.

With England, it's different. They have a bunch of players fitting an attacking possession-style football. Kane is better when he's allowed to drop deep and dictate play. Foden and Saka both play for attacking possession-style teams. TAA gives them a deep-lying playmaker. The team is very well suited to take the initiative and kill teams by not inviting pressure.

I think Deschamps deserves criticism for playing a favorite like Rabiot over Camavinga or Zaire-Emery, but I don't have an issue with his approach at all. Southgate is a different story.

Trilly

All views posted are NOT my own
Trusted ⭐

Did well to have the career he did considering he was a late bloomer, but he caused us a lot of pain. That shouldn’t be forgotten.
When he missed that late chance I think that’s the closest I’ve ever come to having PTSD

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
Mbappe out for Friday. Time for you know who to step up and re-establish an alpha presence in that side.

Wink Nod GIF by Equipe de France de Football

Doctors first said Mbappé needed an operation then they changed their mind shows its most likely always the player who decide in the end.

Reactions: A_G

Arsenal Quotes

What does Arsenal mean? It means class. The structure of the Club, everything has a classy feel about it. It isn't always about success, there is more than that and this is what makes it a cut above the rest.

Charlie Nicholas

2024 Summer Transfers Deadline

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, July 13

Arsenal and Bologna are working to find a compromise on the structure of the transfer fee [Di Marzio]

Nuno Tavares has signed his contract as a Lazio player until 2029 [Fabrizio Romano]

Latest posts

Top Bottom