Euro 2020 Group E: Poland, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden

Who will go through to the next round?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted
I thought Enrique was meant to have evolved Spain's style of play beyond just the personnel? They've been slightly unlucky with not taking chances they've created but when you've got Morata up front, what do you expect?

Still feels to me they're trying to play with a fairly similar philosophy except their doing it with poorer personnel and without with Ramos, Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets, Villa etc.

I'm all for having a footballing identity but when you're drawing 1-1 with Poland in injury time and you're passing the ball around your defence with little impetus to get the ball forward, there's something wrong.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
I thought Enrique was meant to have evolved Spain's style of play beyond just the personnel? They've been slightly unlucky with not taking chances they've created but when you've got Morata up front, what do you expect?

Still feels to me they're trying to play with a fairly similar philosophy except their doing it with poorer personnel and without with Ramos, Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets, Villa etc.

I'm all for having a footballing identity but when you're drawing 1-1 with Poland in injury time and you're passing the ball around your defence with little impetus to get the ball forward, there's something wrong.
Their XG is cumulatively 6.09 or something across both their games but it doesn’t feel that way watching them.

They look more in line with the Spanish sides of the 90’s and early 2000’s

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted
Their XG is 6.09 or something across both their games but it doesn’t feel that way watching them.

They look more in line with the Spanish sides of the 90’s and early 2000’s

Agree mate. You'd say as great as the Spanish golden generation was, they weren't exactly banging them in for fun either. Villa was very good but it's a shame they haven't had a Raul type in the side over the past decade or so.

I think Spain are probably reverting back in quality to what they were pre the golden generation. Pretty football, not particularly effective, quarter final type side.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes
The lack of quality really doesn't help them at all, you never really feel as if they're going to score. They created some chances but you literally feel as if they have to be put on a plate and with Morata even that's not enough.

They lack imagination too, they really miss that Iniesta or Silva operating in that inside forward position, taking up dangerous positions to make a clever pass or Iniesta having the ability to dribble past a defender and really open things up.

But they also don't really have the personnel to be more direct either. They don't have great crossers, don't have a guy like Fernando Llorente to be that presence in there as a plan B. All they have is Morata who needs chances put on a plate and Moreno he's decent and is a bit more rounded but lacking in the real quality of a Torres or a Villa.

What I can say tho is I'm really surprised at the use of Marcos Llorente, a guy with a pretty decent scoring and assisting record for Atletico, which is a team not exactly noted for their midfielders getting high numbers in that regard. He's been a real asset for Atletico in recent times, sometimes even playing as a second striker because of his ability to get a goal yet Enrique plays him at RB. I get that he has quality with crossing, and perhaps he wants that sort of profile to act like an extra midfielder in the build-up but looking at their lack of goals in midfield you'd possibly think it might be best using him as the most advanced of Spain's midfield 3. Enrique has to come up with something because with their current system and personnel in the system it's hard to seem them progressing to latter stages as they just don't offer enough in terms of scoring and let's be honest you can't really trust their defence if they come up against the likes of France, Italy, Germany or Belgium.

CaseUteinberger

Cazorla (not Carzola ffs)
Agree mate. You'd say as great as the Spanish golden generation was, they weren't exactly banging them in for fun either.
Honestly think their defense is not as good as it used to be. There was a while when teams just couldn’t score on them. Don’t know how many games in tournaments they went through with just conceding like 1 or 2 goals in total.

BaZZe

Bitterswede
If my calculations are correct, with today's results in groups B and C. Sweden are now guaranteed to make it to the knockouts. Hopefully this means we will play to win on Wednesday! All up in the air for the rest of the group though.

Latest posts