albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Neuer
Ginter Hummels Rüdiger
Klostermann Kimmich Kroos Halstenberg
Müller Sané
Gnabry​
We used to be linked with Ginter when he was a promising youngster many years ago, did he build a good career since then, or there are no better options?

Toby Andrl

Part Time Stuttgart Fan
Trusted ✔️
We used to be linked with Ginter when he was a promising youngster many years ago, did he build a good career since then, or there are no better options?

He has build a good career for what he is: A solid BL defender for teams aspiring to finish around the EL spots - he's very much found his level at Gladbach. And there's no better option for Germany, Ginter isn't anything special but solid and the most consistent of the bunch.

Toby Andrl

Part Time Stuttgart Fan
Trusted ✔️
Wouldn't using Kimmich as RWB and getting Gündoğan in there be a better idea? Surely you want to emphasize your strength in midfield.

Kimmich is very good on the wing, but he's so so good centrally he'd be wasted out wide, he's probably the best all action central midfielder there is right now. I could imagine a midfield trio of Kimmich, Kroos and Gündogan instead of a back three, but Löw has used the 343 as his default after the 2018 WC so I think he'll be going with that and his other central midfielders are just unlucky.

Idiotologue

Kimmich is very good on the wing, but he's so so good centrally he'd be wasted out wide, he's probably the best all action central midfielder there is right now. I could imagine a midfield trio of Kimmich, Kroos and Gündogan instead of a back three, but Löw has used the 343 as his default after the 2018 WC so I think he'll be going with that and his other central midfielders are just unlucky.
Kimmich is one of my favorite players in the world at the moment and I agree with that sentiment, but Gündoğan has to be in there somehow. Löw probably doesn't favor the 4-3-3 because he doesn't trust his defenders. I think he should though, now that Rüdiger is really in form.

4-3-3 with Neuer - Klostermann, Hummels, Rüdiger, Halstenberg - Kroos, Kimmich, Gündoğan - Gnabry, Sané, Müller or 4-3-1-2 with Neuer - Klostermann, Hummels, Rüdiger, Halstenberg - Kroos, Kimmich, Gündoğan - Havertz - Müller, Werner seem like the best lineups to me.

Toby Andrl

Part Time Stuttgart Fan
Trusted ✔️
Kimmich is one of my favorite players in the world at the moment and I agree with that sentiment, but Gündoğan has to be in there somehow. Löw probably doesn't favor the 4-3-3 because he doesn't trust his defenders. I think he should though, now that Rüdiger is really in form.

4-3-3 with Neuer - Klostermann, Hummels, Rüdiger, Halstenberg - Kroos, Kimmich, Gündoğan - Gnabry, Sané, Müller or 4-3-1-2 with Neuer - Klostermann, Hummels, Rüdiger, Halstenberg - Kroos, Kimmich, Gündoğan - Havertz - Müller, Werner seem like the best lineups to me.

Problem aren't so much the central defenders as the wide defenders. Klostermann has become more of a CB for a back three and the alternative for RB is Ginter who's also a CB, there's no one else there since he left Riedle Baku with the U21s; Gosen and Halstenberg are more wingbacks than LB and the latter has also started more games at CB than LB or left wingback this season; the only "proper" leftback he has is Günther and he's a bit underwhelming tbh.

He might go with a midfield three of Kimmich, Kroos, Gündogan though and only play Müller and Gnabry up front in a 352 with Gündogan and Kimmich licensed to roam. Then again Löw loves Sané and I can't see him being left out.

dashsnow17

Sounds Like Hairspray
Trusted ✔️
A country's brightest prospect in decades is gonna miss the whole tournament? Well they shoulda thought about that before they elected a fascist pig to be their country's leader.

<<reed>>

Meme Merchant
A country's brightest prospect in decades is gonna miss the whole tournament? Well they shoulda thought about that before they elected a fascist pig to be their country's leader.

What happened to him? Moved to Leipzig and dissapered.

vantoure

Looks to me like no matter the good set of players Portugal has, they always play with an underdog mindset. More about defensive safety first, than playing like a true 1st class team.

Think that's why most always by default see them a class below, even a lost Germany

Idiotologue

Looks to me like no matter the good set of players Portugal has, they always play with an underdog mindset. More about defensive safety first, than playing like a true 1st class team.
People keep subscribing to this line of thinking but the truth is, national team football is different than club football. You don't have the time to build chemistry, so you have to be pragmatic. That's why so many elite teams favor conservative or balanced models.

Even 2002's Brazil, a team that boasted the likes of Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho, went for a relatively defensive 3-5-2 in that tournament to provide stability for their creative players.

Latest posts