Euro 2020 Group F: France, Germany, Hungary, Portugal

Who will go through to the next round?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vantoure

People keep subscribing to this line of thinking but the truth is, national team football is different than club football. You don't have the time to build chemistry, so you have to be pragmatic. That's why so many elite teams favor conservative or balanced models.

Even 2002's Brazil, a team that boasted the likes of Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho, went for a relatively defensive 3-5-2 in that tournament to provide stability for their creative players.
you're probably right. they just can't seem to shake-off this perennial minnows identity.

may have more to do with historical pedigree though, because you look at Italy, even when they don't have top-class players and with their more-often-than-not backs to the wall approach, you still always consider them one of the elite teams in a competition

CaseUteinberger

A-M's brilliant, yet humble Xhaka-stan 😍
Germany created quite a few chances against Denmark. At least looking at the highlights. Looked a bit better than I had feared. Should have come away with a win. Maybe there is some hope after all...

Idiotologue

Germany created quite a few chances against Denmark. At least looking at the highlights. Looked a bit better than I had feared. Should have come away with a win. Maybe there is some hope after all...
Bringing back Müller instantly catapulted them to contender status, imo. Crucial player.

Oh_Snap

Can see Germany play a good tournament, It's the last one for Löw and players migth play for the next manager

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Jogi Low era ends .... he changed the face of german football. Like a breath of fresh air. Lets see how he goes out. Just keep old man kroos away from the field...and go with the likes of Gnabry, Havertz, Werner, Muller, Reus. Might surprise a lot of people.

Oh_Snap

Jogi Low era ends .... he changed the face of german football. Like a breath of fresh air. Lets see how he goes out. Just keep old man kroos away from the field...and go with the likes of Gnabry, Havertz, Werner, Muller, Reus. Might surprise a lot of people.
Reus is not going, says he's not fit.

The White Pelè

Human Highlight Reel
Wouldn't be surprise if Germany went out. They look a shadow of their former self and France and Portugal are one level above them.

dashsnow17

Sounds Like Hairspray
Trusted ✔️
Cancelo has tested positive for covid and been replaced in the squad by...Diogo Dalot? Maybe he was on the reserves list and Cedric Soares wasn't, but if I were Cedric I might be a bit peeved. He played for Portugal as recently as March, and then it all fell apart for him.

American_Gooner

Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so.
Cancelo has tested positive for covid and been replaced in the squad by...Diogo Dalot? Maybe he was on the reserves list and Cedric Soares wasn't, but if I were Cedric I might be a bit peeved. He played for Portugal as recently as March, and then it all fell apart for him.
I'm not gutted about this before @GDeep™ tags me

dashsnow17

Sounds Like Hairspray
Trusted ✔️
Il y a du beef dans le camp francais!

On why he wanted to give a press conference earlier this week:

I wanted to come on Thursday, but today, I did not want to come, I was chosen. I wanted to come on Thursday to explain myself. We spoke with the coach, it was not the best moment. He decided that the best moment was today. So I obeyed and I came today.

On Olivier Giroud’s post-match statement after the Bulgaria game when he said that he felt he was not being passed enough to:

We spoke. It is true that we have spoken about this matter. We did not speak for long, perhaps because there was not too many things to say. On the pitch it went well. After, everyone knows a little what happened. It is true that I was a bit affected by that. But, we are not going to make a big deal out of it because we are here to represent France, and France remains the most important thing. This is a major competition and little quarrels are not going to interrupt our preparations because we have other objectives, me and him, and the 24 other players all focused on the same objective, which is the Euros.

On what bothered Kylian Mbappé about Olivier Giroud’s words on Tuesday night:

Was my answer before not good? (smiles) I will explain. It wasn’t what he said, honestly what he said did not bother me much at all. I am an attacker, and it is a feeling, he is expressing a feeling when he speaks. It does not bother me. I am an attacker, I have this feeling 365 times during a match and I will have it more, the feeling when you are not receiving service. It is more that he put it out there publicly, to say that I saw him in the dressing room, I congratulated him for his two goals, he didn’t say anything, and then I learned about it in the press. It is more that than what he said, because what he said, there was nothing nasty about it. He is an attacker, he wants to score goals, and he is not far off of a certain record.

And when you are an attacker that goes around in your head and if he could have scored another he would have. It is more putting it out there publicly, I would have liked him to come to me and be more vicious. In a dressing room, that has happened to me, we know each other for a little while now, you know how I am in the dressing room, if I have something to say I will say it. I have no problem, it stays in the dressing room. It is not a problem, it is a little quarrel, I don’t want our preparation that has started well, as we have done good matches, I don’t want it to bother the team, the team doesn’t need it we already have very difficult challenges.

On if his quarrel with Olivier Giroud will have an adverse impact on the squad:

Of course it can, if things are not explained. If you leave something like that in the air, there will be a lot of things not said. The situation is clear, it was a bit tense, but it is often like that, I have got to know several dressing rooms. The most important thing is to discuss it and make things clear. And there you go, to concentrate and to move beyond it. The most important thing is the squad and the Euros. I think this little micro-episode has detracted a little from the fact that we are concentrating on one unique thing: the Euros. This first match vs Germany, in 48 hours, super important. I am surprised nobody has asked questions about the match so far. The most important thing is that we are all preparing together, the 26 players plus the staff, for this important match that is coming

On whether or not it seems that Mbappé feeds the ball more rapidly to Neymar and Benzema than Giroud:

They are completely different players, completely different. We speak about Neymar, who touches the ball 150 times per match, Benzema who touches the ball 80 times per match, and Olivier who touches it a lot less because of his profile. If you compare how many passes I make to Benzema or Neymar vs Olivier, of course I pass less to Olivier. But that does not mean I am not looking for Olivier, it is just that his profile is different. Karim comes 40m deep to get the ball, Olivier likes to remain up top to be present in the box for the final balls. I think that is a bit unfair, you are trying to say things without saying them. You are basically saying that I don’t want to pass to Olivier.

Riou

Average Community Shield Enjoyer
Mbappe having a public beef with Giroud, so he gets dropped and can't break Thierry's goal record...

tenor.gif

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ✔️

Arteta, born to end hopes and crush dreams. :lol:

Riou

Average Community Shield Enjoyer
I really hope France don't win this tournament.

This group recently won the World Cup, Platini's team won the Euros in the 80s...but only the Henry/Zidane team has won them both, want to keep it that way, with Thierry being apart of their most successful team.

Also...Giroud is a good player, happy he has done so well for himself...but I just can take seeing him win another trophy, it's just not fair.

American_Gooner

Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so.
Thinking about it, Germany might surprise people. It's hard to get the 2018 failure out of your mind but if you look at the starting XI they're expected to play there's a lot of talent there.

Latest posts