• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gunners on International Duty

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
im gonna get lambasted for saying this, but i agree with otfgoon.. our first love is Arsenal, and Henry is an Arsenal legend.. if he did that to win the world cup against the US (yeah, i know, not likely), i wouldnt begrudge him for it because i love Arsenal first and Henry was Arsenal for a long time

Zico

Established Member
That handball was an act of sheer desperation. It's no different from the Ngog dive last week. I'm not too bothered though because it's hard to feel sorry for a team led by Robbie Keane.

banduan

Established Member
robbie robbie keaane
is fokin rubbish
robbie robbie keane
is fokin rubbish
robbie robbie keane
is fokin rubbish
robbie keane, robbie
he's fokin rubbish

raidersoftheark

Established Member
I'm not Irish, and I genuinely feel for any Irish goons here, but France getting to the WC was the best thing that could happen for Arsenal. I will say this.

MAK 14

Established Member
To be fair to Henry, the modern professional does whatever it takes to win, and can end up cheating. It is up to the referees and officials to spot this, and, well, if they don't, it's not really Henry's fault.

USgoonergirl

Established Member
USArsenal said:
im gonna get lambasted for saying this, but i agree with otfgoon.. our first love is Arsenal, and Henry is an Arsenal legend.. if he did that to win the world cup against the US (yeah, i know, not likely), i wouldnt begrudge him for it because i love Arsenal first and Henry was Arsenal for a long time
lol I dont know if i would go that far. Either way i might be upset but i would never call Henry names or hate him. Ive read some 'Arsenal' fans saying how they have lost all respect for him and how hes a disgrace, and that is ridiculous.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
MAK 14 said:
To be fair to Henry, the modern professional does whatever it takes to win, and can end up cheating. It is up to the referees and officials to spot this, and, well, if they don't, it's not really Henry's fault.

I disagree with this.

This is the problem with not only football but sport in general. The way in which victory has been prioritised ahead of everything else is what ultimately will completely corrupt sport. Sport was developed initially as a form of entertainment for those playing and later to entertain spectators. The subsequent huge interest is what brought in the business aspect and this has gone on to distort the proper meaning of sport.

Henry was wrong to do what he did, I am disappointed in him. I do hope that his apology (which I commend him for) could go on to provide some consolation to the Irish in due course.

dyeruz

Established Member
USArsenal said:
and more importantly, no more injuries from this round...

that's the only thing tat matters right now.. and i was glad that Gallas got France's goal.. just too bad Arshavin wont be joining them
Cesc started the game for spain, all midfielders and the lone striker subbed except for..Cesc Fabregas..Wenger's too ****ing nice he needs to lay his balls on Del Bosques head let him know what's up, no ones is scared of Arsenal, we're lucky Cesc didn't get injured otherwise we'd really be ****ed!

dyeruz

Established Member
SA Gunner said:
MAK 14 said:

I disagree with this.

This is the problem with not only football but sport in general. The way in which victory has been prioritised ahead of everything else is what ultimately will completely corrupt sport. Sport was developed initially as a form of entertainment for those playing and later to entertain spectators. The subsequent huge interest is what brought in the business aspect and this has gone on to distort the proper meaning of sport.

Henry was wrong to do what he did, I am disappointed in him. I do hope that his apology (which I commend him for) could go on to provide some consolation to the Irish in due course.
It's easy to apologize after putting your team through to the world cup final..it would have more weight if he said he'd take himself out of the team and not go to South Africa, that's real man talk, but he won't so it's an empty apology..won't do much for the hopes and dreams of an entire nation..I love Thierry but that was out of order. No guiness or hot river dancing babes for him.

AliBabaBrewer

Ireland players, and Brady, seem to be calling for the game to be replayed, which I actually think is a great idea.

But Blatter will never accept in a million years.

I also like how the French FA's head has the cheek to come out and say 'They must forget this evening and use it for the future', which I would find very patronising.

Henry's apology's a hollow gesture. He knows there's no way he can come out and say 'I didn't do it', so is trying to save face by admitting it, know nothing will come of it.

This is another example of some very suspect officiating. I've seen a few instances in the last couple of years where it seems the powers-that-be would prefer a result went one way, so some iffy refereeing decisions took place.

One example, as much as I hate to say it, is, I think, the Chelsea v Barcelona game last year, where I thought some dodgy decisions all went Barcelona's way, I'm guessing because another all English-team, Chelsea vs Man United final doesn't do too well for popularity or viewing figures with the rest of the continent, so Barcelona got a helping hand.

Just hoping it's me being paranoid though, and not a conspiracy.

asajoseph

Established Member
I kind of wish the game had been decided by Anelka's dive now, more than Henry's handball.

Sadly, the chelsea git will get away with it, and a bunch of over-reacting plastic paddys will get incredibly worked up with Thierry for the next couple of months.

I hope he wins the golden boot.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Wow, the double standards in here is hilarious. Stop downplaying the veracity of his action. He cheated in the biggest match Ireland have played in years, end of story. I love Henry more than even most Arsenal fans, as I've watched every Barcelona and French game he has played in. But you just have to accept it and move on from the fact that he acted like a scumbag in that incident. I can't even imagine the hatred aimed at an opponent if he were to cheat us in a similar manner. Nah, scratch that, I can imagine the vitriol of abuse that would shortly follow. Being an Arsenal legend has nothing to do with his action and unfortunately he will suffer the consequences for something committed by many.

Thommybhoy

Established Member
raidersoftheark said:
I'm not Irish, and I genuinely feel for any Irish goons here, but France getting to the WC was the best thing that could happen for Arsenal. I will say this.
I don't agree. We always have better seasons in season that doesn't follow World Cup or Euros. If France was out our number of players at World Cup would be bearable: Cesc, Robin, Theo, Vela, Djourou, Phil (if Arsenal player), Song, Eboue. That would be total of 8. He had most players of all clubs in 2006 World Cup. Now there will be 3 or 4 (Gallas, Sagna, Diaby, Nasri) more since Clichy is wrong zodiac sign.

otfgoon

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
Wow, the double standards in here is hilarious. Stop downplaying the veracity of his action. He cheated in the biggest match Ireland have played in years, end of story. I love Henry more than even most Arsenal fans, as I've watched every Barcelona and French game he has played in. But you just have to accept it and move on from the fact that he acted like a scumbag in that incident. I can't even imagine the hatred aimed at an opponent if he were to cheat us in a similar manner. Nah, scratch that, I can imagine the vitriol of abuse that would shortly follow. Being an Arsenal legend has nothing to do with his action and unfortunately he will suffer the consequences for something committed by many.

I don't care what he did, and I don't care how the Irish or even neutrals react. I wouldn't care if he picked the ball up at the half way line, punched Keane in the face and dived the ball into the net, but a supposed calling an Arsenal legend a scumbag is a pretty crappy thing to do.

Burnwinter

Established Member
I don't care if Henry cheated to win this one. So what? This is Henry we're talking about.

I agree completely with the view that very few players, if any, when put in the same position would have done anything differently.

He guided the ball on instinct, poked it across goal with his toe, instants later a goal was scored by Gallas. A goal that took his country to the World Cup. Who would force the ref to overturn the goal under those circumstances, even knowing, as he obviously did, that it was undeserved?

progman07

Established Member
It's not Henry's fault the referee didn't see it. That's why there is a referee - to call the fouls. In the extra time in the key qualifier at 1-1 aggregate you won't be thinking 'oh, I must do everything not to touch the ball, because it's not fair play'. You want to win it and when you make a decision in a split second, it might end up this way.

asajoseph

Established Member
I have to say, there is an onus on players not to cheat in the first place, whether it's Henry or anyone else.

ricky1985

Established Member
Don Pacifico said:
Wojciech Szczesny apparently played pretty well in his full debut for Poland yesterday. Great stuff.

Wow, thanks for that bit of info, Don. Had no idea he had even been named in the squad. Looks like we have a real player on our hands.

outlaw_member

Established Member
otfgoon said:
outlaw_member said:

I don't care what he did, and I don't care how the Irish or even neutrals react. I wouldn't care if he picked the ball up at the half way line, punched Keane in the face and dived the ball into the net, but a supposed calling an Arsenal legend a scumbag is a pretty crappy thing to do.

When someone commits an immoral or illegal act, you call them out on it. I don't care who the **** the perpertrator is. I'm not Irish and I couldn't give two craps about their nation, but for people downplay it is just downright ridiculous. I love Henry but that was a very scummy thing to do. I don't really care about the incident to be honest, but just saying that's all.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom