• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Hatem Ben Arfa

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Irish_Owen said:
As much as would be in favour of this deal taking place, I'm very much doubtful about any deal occurring.

The only way I could see this deal happening is if we sold Walcott, who it's rumored has been a target for Chelsea and Liverpool (the club he actually supports), for quite some time. But we'd have to take in a hefty fee in order to land Ben Arfa afterwards, and in all honesty, I'm not sure I'd be 100% behind that deal anyway.

I wonder how much of that childhood support remains after playing for a club rival for so many years. Would be interesting to hear a few players' thoughts on the matter.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
DJ_Markstar said:
Irish_Owen said:
As much as would be in favour of this deal taking place, I'm very much doubtful about any deal occurring.

The only way I could see this deal happening is if we sold Walcott, who it's rumored has been a target for Chelsea and Liverpool (the club he actually supports), for quite some time. But we'd have to take in a hefty fee in order to land Ben Arfa afterwards, and in all honesty, I'm not sure I'd be 100% behind that deal anyway.

I wonder how much of that childhood support remains after playing for a club rival for so many years. Would be interesting to hear a few players' thoughts on the matter.

Think most lose some of their affection. Could imagine that Theo enjoys playing at Anfield, but I'm sure he won't be in awe of the likes of Adams or Skrtel. He also clearly doesn't think of us as just a stepping stone to another club, think he wouldn't be wearing #14 if that were the case. Don't think he'd move to Liverpool in the situation they are in now anyway.

As another example, Ashley Young is an Arsenal fan (yes, I'm ashamed too). Before joining Manure, I remember an interview in which he was quoted that even if we came in for him when he wanted to leave Villa, he'd still have chosen the **** over us.
Now of course you don't know if he just said that it to accommodate the fans or if he was sincere, but seeing how he slotted in seamlessly with the other ****s over there I'd say the latter.

BeijingBaller

jones said:
DJ_Markstar said:
Irish_Owen said:

Think most lose some of their affection. Could imagine that Theo enjoys playing at Anfield, but I'm sure he won't be in awe of the likes of Adams or Skrtel. He also clearly doesn't think of us as just a stepping stone to another club, think he wouldn't be wearing #14 if that were the case. Don't think he'd move to Liverpool in the situation they are in now anyway.

As another example, Ashley Young is an Arsenal fan (yes, I'm ashamed too). Before joining Manure, I remember an interview in which he was quoted that even if we came in for him when he wanted to leave Villa, he'd still have chosen the **** over us.
Now of course you don't know if he just said that it to accommodate the fans or if he was sincere, but seeing how he slotted in seamlessly with the other ***** over there I'd say the latter.

This reasoning is a bit off the mark, I think. Not to defend Young, but any player who didn't slot in with his new team because of loyalty to the club he supported in childhood would be an idiot who would be deservedly slagged off by everybody here. The vast majority of players never have the chance to play for the club they support, and they get on with it just fine.

Mastadon

Established Member
He could potentially be a superb player for us he's been inconsistent throughout his career but the talent is obviously there. I would back Wenger to get the best out of him although the price obviously will make it an obvious no. Wouldnt it be mad though if we signed a new front 3 in one window before selling anyone?

Glovegun

Established Member
Players probably stop 'supporting' anyone when they become professional. Darren Bent had a season ticket on the North Bank I believe. Do you think he still supports us after hearing the Eduardo song in which we mention how s**t he is, and give him stick for being an ex-Sp**s player? I doubt it.

BeijingBaller

Glovegun said:
Players probably stop 'supporting' anyone when they become professional. Darren Bent had a season ticket on the North Bank I believe. Do you think he still supports us after hearing the Eduardo song in which we mention how s**t he is, and give him stick for being an ex-Sp**s player? I doubt it.

I think some of them do keep supporting, actually. And not just the one-club men like the Neviller and Stevie G. I imagine that as hard as we tried to keep Cesc, and as much as he cares for Wenger, it's possible he might have remained with us if he wasn't such a strong Barca supporter. Sure, there were strong footballing reasons to go there as well, but you get what I'm saying.

Back on topic, though, I agree that this rumour is probably Arfa nothing. But for those who see him as a potential replacement if Theo leaves... how would he alter our game? I think we might be more penetrative against smaller teams, but we would miss Theo's blazing speed X factor. Thinking about either of them does strengthen the argument that we need a new AM (or Wilshere to step up), imo, since Theo needs good service while a good AM could link up with Ben Arfa and help us regain some of the possession game that we lost post Cesc and Nasri.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
BeijingBaller said:
jones said:
Now of course you don't know if he just said that it to accommodate the fans or if he was sincere, but seeing how he slotted in seamlessly with the other ***** over there I'd say the latter.

This reasoning is a bit off the mark, I think. Not to defend Young, but any player who didn't slot in with his new team because of loyalty to the club he supported in childhood would be an idiot who would be deservedly slagged off by everybody here. The vast majority of players never have the chance to play for the club they support, and they get on with it just fine.

You misunderstood, of course he's supposed to slot in with his team mates, that's obviously nothing to criticise him for. My point was that he adopted the cheating and diving Manure ways in no time. Yes, he was a diver at Villa already, but I've never seen him dive in consecutive games in his time there, probably because he couldn't get away with it.

iced22

Well, Fergie teaches them well.

I think Carragher was a childhood Everton fan as well, but now relishes beating them. Pros usually manage to put aside their own personal feelings pretty well.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
21m??? not worth it. he is good player he had good last season but the price is too high.

BeijingBaller

jones said:
BeijingBaller said:
jones said:

You misunderstood, of course he's supposed to slot in with his team mates, that's obviously nothing to criticise him for. My point was that he adopted the cheating and diving Manure ways in no time. Yes, he was a diver at Villa already, but I've never seen him dive in consecutive games in his time there, probably because he couldn't get away with it.

I'm just having trouble parsing out the connections were in your original statement. It seems like your point was that childhood loyalties don't matter, because if they did, Young wouldn't have adopted Manure's supposedly diving ways so quickly (presumably because in contrast to Manure, we don't dive). Realistically, though, do Manure players dive more than players on other teams? Among the big few alone, Chelski is full of gold-medal divers (less so since Drogba left); over at City Nasri likes to have a tumble at times and Mario goes down rather easily; we used to have Eboue and Nasri, and Eduardo and Walcott have both taken tumbles in recent years, etc. One could go on.

It just doesn't make sense to say that Young's increased diving has any connection whatsoever to childhood team loyalties. If anything, it more likely stems from a combination of no longer being an automatic starter/trying to prove himself, and being a beneficiary of the Manure Referee Magnetism effect.

BeijingBaller

Back on topic, I know people say that Ben Arfa wouldln't be great through the middle. Has anyone seen him play in that position for any length of time?

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
BeijingBaller said:
I'm just having trouble parsing out the connections were in your original statement. It seems like your point was that childhood loyalties don't matter, because if they did, Young wouldn't have adopted Manure's supposedly diving ways so quickly (presumably because in contrast to Manure, we don't dive). Realistically, though, do Manure players dive more than players on other teams? Among the big few alone, Chelski is full of gold-medal divers (less so since Drogba left); over at City Nasri likes to have a tumble at times and Mario goes down rather easily; we used to have Eboue and Nasri, and Eduardo and Walcott have both taken tumbles in recent years, etc. One could go on.

It just doesn't make sense to say that Young's increased diving has any connection whatsoever to childhood team loyalties. If anything, it more likely stems from a combination of no longer being an automatic starter/trying to prove himself, and being a beneficiary of the Manure Referee Magnetism effect.

You misunderstood, again. I'm not saying that since Young is/was an Arsenal fan, and he's diving at Manure means that there's no fan loyalty.
My point was his statement, that he would have gone to Manchester even if we were in for him, showing that he cares more about being at a club that's in a better position/pays better etc., than being at the club he's supposedly a fan of. That's perfectly legitimate, but it's supporting my argument that most footballers are fans only if it doesn't conflict with their own career.

The part about the diving was half tongue-in-cheek, but to tell the truth: yes, I think Man Utd players dive more than others, since they know they are far more likely to be rewarded for it. Chelsea has a world class diver in Drogba, but not many more serial divers I think. Liverpool has Gerrard, Suarez and Carroll, we had Eboué who dived, don't remember Walcott or Eduardo diving opposed to exaggerating their fouls.

United have Rooney, Young, Hernandez, Nani, Welbeck, Evra, the fullback twins, Anderson etc. just from the top of my head who love to take a tumble. And that's without counting the king of dives who sobbed off to Real.

Mark

Established Member
£20m for Ben Arfa seems a bit much, but if we could exchange Gervinho as well to bring the price down I think he'd be an improvement, definitely.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
E21m is about 17m GBP, or the same as the asking price for M'Vila. why not? the player is proven in the league, closer to his prime and plays for a club that's much more likely to consdier us a rival than Rennes, and is much better technically - something that we as a club are in urgent need of, especially if you consider the possibility of RVP leaving and Wilshere/Diaby being out for extended period of time.

Yes, I'd love him here. It's about the price level that class players go for, he has flair about him that could improve us.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Afellay definitely for me. Ben Arfa is way too inconsistent and 90% of the time his only concern is dribbling his way through to goal, whereas Afellay has way more in his locker, his passing game went up a notch in his time at Barca too.

Top Bottom