• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Hector Bellerin: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloodbather

Established Member

This Bellerin criticism is just absurd. Clearly it takes a while to get back to 100% after a big ACL injury, but regardless of the injury, he's not attacking that much due to Arteta's tactics. And he is clearly doing exactly what Arteta wants him to do.

Arteta is trying to spread the pitch, and based on our personnel that means that Xhaka is initially dropping deep into being essentially at LCB in a pseudo-back three when we have possession before moving back into midfield, and Saka is pushing up into being practically a LW.

When Saka becomes a LW, Auba becomes a second striker, and now we are playing with a front four of Saka, Auba, Nketiah/Laca, and Pepe. Özil also joins in to make it almost a front 5, and now Xhaka, Ceballos, and Hector function as midfielders with Luiz and Mustafi behind them. Xhaka is covering for Saka defensively, and Hector is doing the same for Pepe. This helps keep possession and defend against counter-attacks.

Comparing Hector to Saka just doesn't make any sense because under Arteta they have completely different roles in our system. Hector's job when we have possession is to help us retain possession and to defend against the counter. Saka is trying to get in the final third and create chances.

Additionally against Newcastle, Hector also had to defend Newcastle's best player. Sure it would be great if Hector was big enough to physically dominate Saint Maximin, but he isn't, so Hector spent a day committing tactical fouls and slowing Saint Maximin down until the double team could arrive. Pepe did a great job defensively.

Also, since Arteta has been back there has been one match where Hector was supposed to contribute in the final third, and that was Chelsea after the red card. And in that match, he scored the game-tying goal.

Hector is doing exactly what Arteta wants and we have gotten much better defensively, and based on yesterday our attack has gotten much better too.

The only way Hector will start bombing down the wing and contributing to the attack is if Mari becomes a starter and this results in Arteta changing our tactics, or we're down to ten men and need him to start attacking.

If Mari starts, I suspect that Xhaka won't drop back into defense and become practically a LCB. Instead he'll stay in the middle, but drop a little deeper, and our CBs will move out wide, making a quasi-back three. Ceballos and Özil will remain in the center, but ahead of Xhaka, and both or our fullbacks will have license to move into the attack. We'll play a high line defensively, and our CBs will be charged with stopping the counter-attack. Man City does this all the time when Laporte plays.

Excellent breakdown mate. Felt a like didn't do it enough justice.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
This Bellerin criticism is just absurd. Clearly it takes a while to get back to 100% after a big ACL injury, but regardless of the injury, he's not attacking that much due to Arteta's tactics. And he is clearly doing exactly what Arteta wants him to do.

Arteta is trying to spread the pitch, and based on our personnel that means that Xhaka is initially dropping deep into being essentially at LCB in a pseudo-back three when we have possession before moving back into midfield, and Saka is pushing up into being practically a LW.

When Saka becomes a LW, Auba becomes a second striker, and now we are playing with a front four of Saka, Auba, Nketiah/Laca, and Pepe. Özil also joins in to make it almost a front 5, and now Xhaka, Ceballos, and Hector function as midfielders with Luiz and Mustafi behind them. Xhaka is covering for Saka defensively, and Hector is doing the same for Pepe. This helps keep possession and defend against counter-attacks.

Comparing Hector to Saka just doesn't make any sense because under Arteta they have completely different roles in our system. Hector's job when we have possession is to help us retain possession and to defend against the counter. Saka is trying to get in the final third and create chances.

Additionally against Newcastle, Hector also had to defend Newcastle's best player. Sure it would be great if Hector was big enough to physically dominate Saint Maximin, but he isn't, so Hector spent a day committing tactical fouls and slowing Saint Maximin down until the double team could arrive. Pepe did a great job defensively.

Also, since Arteta has been back there has been one match where Hector was supposed to contribute in the final third, and that was Chelsea after the red card. And in that match, he scored the game-tying goal.

Hector is doing exactly what Arteta wants and we have gotten much better defensively, and based on yesterday our attack has gotten much better too.

The only way Hector will start bombing down the wing and contributing to the attack is if Mari becomes a starter and this results in Arteta changing our tactics, or we're down to ten men and need him to start attacking.

If Mari starts, I suspect that Xhaka won't drop back into defense and become practically a LCB. Instead he'll stay in the middle, but drop a little deeper, and our CBs will move out wide, making a quasi-back three. Ceballos and Özil will remain in the center, but ahead of Xhaka, and both or our fullbacks will have license to move into the attack. We'll play a high line defensively, and our CBs will be charged with stopping the counter-attack. Man City does this all the time when Laporte plays.

I think a lot will change when Tierney returns. Tierney and Saka with Bellerin and Pepe allows us to invert one full back at a time, both inverted or both overlapping. This is because both wingers can hold their width without help.

Mari and Tierney basically negate the need for Xhaka.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think a lot will change when Tierney returns. Tierney and Saka with Bellerin and Pepe allows us to invert one full back at a time, both inverted or both overlapping. This is because both wingers can hold their width without help.

Mari and Tierney basically negate the need for Xhaka.

I think it is far from certain that Tierney will start when he comes back, and I think Mari will have way more of a tactical impact if he becomes a starter.

Mari will make it so that Xhaka doesn't need to be a LCB to start the attack, but this will probably mean that Xhaka will stay in the middle and be a mix of a DLP/CB, and Mari and our RCB will push out wide.

Ceballos and Özil will stay in the center, and Saka and Hector will join Auba, Laca, and Pepe in attack. Ceballos and Özil will control the middle, Mari and probably Luiz will cover for the fullbacks, and Xhaka will basically be cover for both the CMs and the CBs.

Oh-Zeal

We need to give Bellerin a chance. He hasn't been on form but he is now adapting to a different style. One thing Bellerin is, his an athlete and we don't have a runner in midfield.
His style obviously is to bomb forward to support the attack.

This time around we have balance. We need at least 4 players staying at the back to not get exposed. Ideally you'd have him supporting Pepe but for now he needs to stay in that area. Pepe is given license on the touchline and slowly is changing his game to be able to give us that threat 1 Vs 1 and still has cover should he fail.

Niles fits the role better because or his athleticism.

Up until we get a box to box midfielder who runs for the full 90 mins those are our options.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
We need to give Bellerin a chance. He hasn't been on form but he is now adapting to a different style. One thing Bellerin is, his an athlete and we don't have a runner in midfield.
His style obviously is to bomb forward to support the attack.

This time around we have balance. We need at least 4 players staying at the back to not get exposed. Ideally you'd have him supporting Pepe but for now he needs to stay in that area. Pepe is given license on the touchline and slowly is changing his game to be able to give us that threat 1 Vs 1 and still has cover should he fail.

Niles fits the role better because or his athleticism.

Up until we get a box to box midfielder who runs for the full 90 mins those are our options.
He might be a forward bomber. But i don't think he will be better than Tierney in that regard. From what i've seen so far, which tbf is too little, Tierney seems like a elite crosser. No need for a worse offensive RB to hold a better LB back. And Bellerin has never really been good at defending.

Bellerin has this season to prove himself as a starter. If he can't make it he might just have missed this given chance.

GoonerJay24

I think it is far from certain that Tierney will start when he comes back, and I think Mari will have way more of a tactical impact if he becomes a starter.

Mari will make it so that Xhaka doesn't need to be a LCB to start the attack, but this will probably mean that Xhaka will stay in the middle and be a mix of a DLP/CB, and Mari and our RCB will push out wide.

Ceballos and Özil will stay in the center, and Saka and Hector will join Auba, Laca, and Pepe in attack. Ceballos and Özil will control the middle, Mari and probably Luiz will cover for the fullbacks, and Xhaka will basically be cover for both the CMs and the CBs.

Torreria better for that role long-term although I've been impressed with Xhaka recently

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

It's almost like he has an agenda or something ;)
He doesn’t even have an agenda, I don’t know what the word for it.

Guy just whole heartedly believes that Bellerin is ****e and that the rest of us are mad. :lol:
I’ve never seen anything like it.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
For a vegan, he's still bringing the beef. Love to see it.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

He's really struggling at the moment, might not see anything of use from him until he gets a preseason really.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Obviously the club will have the numbers, but it feels like he has a lost a bit of pace.

Manberg

Predator
He’s not overlapping as often as he used to. I don’t know if that’s a tactical instruction or if it’s because he can’t get back as quickly, run forward as quickly or what.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I'll be patient with him but he's been quietly poor since he returned under Arteta.

It was less noticeable in other games but his positioning and tracking is extremely off, like an RM is being shifted into RB.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Smith-Rowe
This is not the Bellerin I know. Completely different player after the injury. Yes, it is sad because of the injury but we have to face the facts. Doesn't look like he will get his pace back at all. Was beaten by his man time and again and Mustafi had to keep saving his ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom