• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Henrikh Mkhitaryan (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist

Actually, that article says he's making £144,000 a week (£7.5 million annually). I have seen a figure of £140,000 before, but everything I can find now has the £120,000 figure. Either way, it's not anywhere near £200,000.

Mkhitaryan commanded less than those two but, despite failing to make the grade at United, he will earn £7.5m annually at Arsenal for three years and that will rise to £12.5m if the club decide to exercise an option to keep him.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I was one of the fewer ones who thought in the parameters of what was going on that January, getting Mkhitaryan for Sanchez was a good deal. I thought with the touch of Wenger and a more positive football he could get his confidence, and thus his productivity and consistency, back and help us avoid the need to go out and look for a player in an "Arsenal just got cash from Utd and now they're looking for a replacement let's milk them"-climate. I was wrong. It was a bad deal. In hindsight, even getting just 20m cash would have been a far better deal.

If anything, Arsenal should have followed through with the original interest and signed him straight from Dortmund in 2016 when he was on top of his game.

I still think it was a good deal. He's been, without a doubt, better than Alexis has been for United and his wages are a third or less than what Alexis is allegedly making. But even if he leaves, Arsenal will get a bigger transfer fee for him than they would have received for Alexis just months before his contract ran out. Definitely they should have signed him straight from Dortmund though. The bad deal was in not moving Alexis sooner for a large transfer fee.

I like Miki. But I don't think he has found his game in England and given our finical situation I think it is beneficial for both parties if we manage to get rid of him and he manage to restart his career in other country more suited to his game!

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I still think it was a good deal. He's been, without a doubt, better than Alexis has been for United and his wages are a third or less than what Alexis is allegedly making. But even if he leaves, Arsenal will get a bigger transfer fee for him than they would have received for Alexis just months before his contract ran out. Definitely they should have signed him straight from Dortmund though. The bad deal was in not moving Alexis sooner for a large transfer fee.

I don't know how much we would have gotten for Alexis, but I doubt we will get more for Mkhitaryan.

I get your perspective as Mkhi hasn't been completely useless. But he is on seriously high wages which is a concern. What's more of a concern though is that he has been hot and cold for United, and he's continued so at Arsenal, and overall - albeit he may have been better than Alexis at Utd and not completely useless - this points to a clear downward trajectory for him and a possibly rapid loss of market value. Combine that with his wages and age, and having him on the books far longer than now or the summer has a certain risk attached - if he doesn't suddenly turn up after his injury and gets back into stellar form.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Micki's current market value (per CIES) is £21.22 million. Generally speaking, those estimates are lower than what the player brings in the market (for instance, Giroud's valuation last January was £12.27 million, but Chelsea paid £18 million for him). So it would be reasonable to expect Micki to bring around £25-30 million, I would think.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Micki's current market value (per CIES) is £21.22 million. Generally speaking, those estimates are lower than what the player brings in the market (for instance, Giroud's valuation last January was £12.27 million, but Chelsea paid £18 million for him). So it would be reasonable to expect Micki to bring around £25-30 million, I would think.
I would be shocked if we get 30M for him. Would be happy with 15M.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I don't know how much we would have gotten for Alexis, but I doubt we will get more for Mkhitaryan.

I get your perspective as Mkhi hasn't been completely useless. But he is on seriously high wages which is a concern. What's more of a concern though is that he has been hot and cold for United, and he's continued so at Arsenal, and overall - albeit he may have been better than Alexis at Utd and not completely useless - this points to a clear downward trajectory for him and a possibly rapid loss of market value. Combine that with his wages and age, and having him on the books far longer than now or the summer has a certain risk attached - if he doesn't suddenly turn up after his injury and gets back into stellar form.

He's only making (at most) £144,000 a week (per the Football Leaks article linked above). That's not outrageous. Certainly it's a lot less than Arsenal would be paying Alexis right now had they signed him.

His current market value (per CIES) is £21.2 million (I just touched on this). So even if they only get that, it's as much as they would have gotten for Alexis at that point.

Toby

He's only making (at most) £144,000 a week (per the Football Leaks article linked above). That's not outrageous. Certainly it's a lot less than Arsenal would be paying Alexis right now had they signed him.

His current market value (per CIES) is £21.2 million (I just touched on this). So even if they only get that, it's as much as they would have gotten for Alexis at that point.

Fair enough. I myself am pretty sure that by what I looked at he's all in all pretty close to 200k. But that shall not be the main point here, I'd concede his wages to be honest.

My bigger concern lies in the inconsistent form he's shown over the last 2.5 years, which in itself is a serious drop off from his best form, my disbelief in him regaining not neccessarilly said top form, but at least more consistency in his performances and influence on games overall, and the resulting loss of value down the road. His market value might be ~ 20m right now. But his value will drop if he finishes this season in similar fashion to what he's done overall in this league, he'll be a 30 year old mostly past it player on high wages - irrelevant if it's 140, 180 or even 200k, as no club smaller than Arsenal can afford even the 140k, and bigger clubs won't be interested; or maybe only to bring him in as a backup, but as such they won't pay him 140k, neither.

Definitely a concern would be squad depth, but tbh, if a chance arises to get him to move, Arsenal should take it.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Fair enough. I myself am pretty sure that by what I looked at he's all in all pretty close to 200k. But that shall not be the main point here, I'd concede his wages to be honest.

My bigger concern lies in the inconsistent form he's shown over the last 2.5 years, which in itself is a serious drop off from his best form, my disbelief in him regaining not neccessarilly said top form, but at least more consistency in his performances and influence on games overall, and the resulting loss of value down the road. His market value might be ~ 20m right now. But his value will drop if he finishes this season in similar fashion to what he's done overall in this league, he'll be a 30 year old mostly past it player on high wages - irrelevant if it's 140, 180 or even 200k, as no club smaller than Arsenal can afford even the 140k, and bigger clubs won't be interested; or maybe only to bring him in as a backup, but as such they won't pay him 140k, neither.

Definitely a concern would be squad depth, but tbh, if a chance arises to get him to move, Arsenal should take it.

He has been inconsistent, but he's been fairly productive in stretches. Injuries haven't helped him any and he still seems to be getting used to Emery's system (I think he had a better run under Wenger). I wouldn't expect them to be able to move him in January because he's injured (or want to because of squad depth). Hopefully he can get back from injury and have a good run down the stretch. Then if they decide to move him on in summer, so be it. Maybe he'll turn out like Ramsey and just not quite fitting. But I'm not ready to give up on him just yet.

HBL

Established Member
He has been inconsistent, but he's been fairly productive in stretches. Injuries haven't helped him any and he still seems to be getting used to Emery's system (I think he had a better run under Wenger). I wouldn't expect them to be able to move him in January because he's injured (or want to because of squad depth). Hopefully he can get back from injury and have a good run down the stretch. Then if they decide to move him on in summer, so be it. Maybe he'll turn out like Ramsey and just not quite fitting. But I'm not ready to give up on him just yet.
Agreed, he was actually starting to play quite well before his injury, came at a bad time really. I think there is probably a 1% chance we'll sell him in January.

Toby

He has been inconsistent, but he's been fairly productive in stretches.

"He has been inconsistent, but he's been inconsistent."

It's a bit tongue in cheek, but "fairly productive in stretches" is pretty close to describing inconsistent.

I kind of follow you in that it is quite hard to give up on him having seen his heydey at Dortmund every weekend and thus knowing what kind of player he can be. The problem is he hasn't been all that, and I'd gladly back him to get up and have another go at trying to replicate at least some of it, by now it's just also really hard for me to see that happen.

I doubt we'll sell in January for the obvious two reasons 1) he's injured and 2) squad depth, but I hope the club doesn't shoot itself in the foot with the apparent Milan interest and him possibly being the same hot and cold for the rest of the season, and then no one wants to take him off Arsenal.

I just got a hunch it would be better to offload him now. But of course he could turn it around if he stays and I'll be happy about it if it happens. As things stand, I just think the chances are bigger he'll be a big wages hard to move on player come summer.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I was one of the fewer ones who thought in the parameters of what was going on that January, getting Mkhitaryan for Sanchez was a good deal. I thought with the touch of Wenger and a more positive football he could get his confidence, and thus his productivity and consistency, back and help us avoid the need to go out and look for a player in an "Arsenal just got cash from Utd and now they're looking for a replacement let's milk them"-climate. I was wrong. It was a bad deal. In hindsight, even getting just 20m cash would have been a far better deal.

If anything, Arsenal should have followed through with the original interest and signed him straight from Dortmund in 2016 when he was on top of his game.

A man (person) who can admit they were wrong. That's a good thing, I like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom