• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Henrikh Mkhitaryan (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Love how you say I’m making assumptions when you’ve prefaced it with a literal assumption of your own :lol:

Also how is it an assumption when that’s been the case his entire career? There’s clear precedent for that. I’ve never said he’d want to move on, but going off the first season I’d be extremely shocked if through the club’s choice or his own, he breaks the habits of a lifetime and makes it to a fifth year.

I didn’t say anyone else would either? That’s another assumption on your part lad.

Almost every manager is going to put job security first, my point was that the club should have structures in place to keep whoever the manager is away from being too involved in transfers.

Believing that someone takes one of the top jobs in a particular profession with the idea of sticking around for awhile is a far safer assumption than believing someone would take such a job intending to skip town before the job is done.

Whether or not Emery decides to leave at some point or whether the club decides to sack him at some point is completely immaterial. I'm talking about Emery's intention now -- at this particular point in time. Why would he have taken the job if he didn't intend to stay as long as possible? Do you think it was all part of some master plan that he was in the previous jobs he had for exactly those lengths of time? If he believes he's going to be in the job for any length of time, it's only natural to believe he'll do what's in the best interests of the club and himself. Why do you believe these interests are not the same? This makes no sense.

It doesn't really matter who the manager is, there's always the chance that said manager will leave for a better job someday or be fired. It's the nature of the profession. But nobody goes into these jobs thinking there's no way they'll be around more than a couple of seasons. Coaches don't think that way. Nobody thinks that way at the top level of a profession. So, again, why would another manager have the best interests of Arsenal at heart any more than does Emery and just who are these managers?

Lighten up, Francis.

(Watch the video and you'll understand, even if you aren't perceptive enough to see yourself.)

No thanks. I rather keep this on going for a little while longer! You really got me there. Haven't been so triggered for ages. Threw a stone into a car window because of you!

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Believing that someone takes one of the top jobs in a particular profession with the idea of sticking around for awhile is a far safer assumption than believing someone would take such a job intending to skip town before the job is done.

Whether or not Emery decides to leave at some point or whether the club decides to sack him at some point is completely immaterial. I'm talking about Emery's intention now -- at this particular point in time. Why would he have taken the job if he didn't intend to stay as long as possible? Do you think it was all part of some master plan that he was in the previous jobs he had for exactly those lengths of time? If he believes he's going to be in the job for any length of time, it's only natural to believe he'll do what's in the best interests of the club and himself. Why do you believe these interests are not the same? This makes no sense.

It doesn't really matter who the manager is, there's always the chance that said manager will leave for a better job someday or be fired. It's the nature of the profession. But nobody goes into these jobs thinking there's no way they'll be around more than a couple of seasons. Coaches don't think that way. Nobody thinks that way at the top level of a profession. So, again, why would another manager have the best interests of Arsenal at heart any more than does Emery and just who are these managers?

Most managers don’t make it past four or five years these days. The reasons why are immaterial.

He might get sacked or maybe someone like Barcelona, Juventus or Atletico would come in for him if he did well or maybe he’d want a new challenge. It doesn’t matter why.

I’ll make it clear what my point is. He probably won’t be here for the long term. Modern football has changed. Long term managers are very, very rare.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Most managers don’t make it past four or five years these days. The reasons why are immaterial.

He might get sacked or maybe someone like Barcelona, Juventus or Atletico would come in for him if he did well or maybe he’d want a new challenge. It doesn’t matter why.

I’ll make it clear what my point is. He probably won’t be here for the long term. Modern football has changed. Long term managers are very, very rare.

You're still missing my point. It doesn't matter how long managers make it. The important thing, in this context, is how long they envision themselves staying in a job. If you've just replaced a manager who made it through about 22 seasons, you envision job security for yourself if you do a good job. Managers don't accept these jobs with sell by dates. So whether Emery makes it past four of five seasons is completely irrelevant. The point is that he intends to make it past four of five seasons, if at all possible. So why would you assume he doesn't have the best interests of the club at heart? It's his club now. They pay his big paychecks. Of course he wants to help the club be as successful as possible. To think otherwise is devoid of all logic.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

You're still missing my point. It doesn't matter how long managers make it. The important thing, in this context, is how long they envision themselves staying in a job. If you've just replaced a manager who made it through about 22 seasons, you envision job security for yourself if you do a good job. Managers don't accept these jobs with sell by dates. So whether Emery makes it past four of five seasons is completely irrelevant. The point is that he intends to make it past four of five seasons, if at all possible. So why would you assume he doesn't have the best interests of the club at heart? It's his club now. They pay his big paychecks. Of course he wants to help the club be as successful as possible. To think otherwise is devoid of all logic.

If he’s honestly sat there after this first season thinking he’s going to be here for ten years then I worry for him.

Managers at every level of football realise it’s a results business. It’s the main reason why young English players aren’t given chances.

Why give Hudson-Odoi a shot when he might not be as consistent or ready as a Willian for example? If the team loses your in the firing line. Same for Redknapp with Bale back in the day. Managers have to get results.

If we fail to make CL the pressure is well and truly on Emery for next year. The club have proven to be patient until their bottom line is damaged.

He might have one year to save his Arsenal career, if we bottle top four again next year he’d might well be a goner. You never know who’ll be on the market then.

If he needs results now, maybe he’d look to players of a similar profile to say maybe Banega.

Maybe the best thing for the club is to build a long term contender rather than paper over the cracks of an aging, pumped up squad.

Also I’m going to stop replying. We’re both hypothesising and it’s gone on way too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom