• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Henry moves centre stage

Status
Not open for further replies.

JazzG

Established Member
I hope they do the right thing. If he doesn't win this award that means this award is a ****ing joke.

I would understand if Nedved beat him to it but no way has Zidane or Ronaldo been close to Henry for this past yr. They have not been anywhere as near as good as Henry this year.

Adam

Established Member
Will Henry raise his performance post this award? Will it give him more confidence? Wow, is that possible?!

I think we all want Henry to be remembered as a world great because he has the potential to do so even more than Ronaldo and Zidane. Some argue he is 70/80 percent of what he could be without the box instincts and heading ability. Perhaps it is down to Wengerball not exploiting those potential attributes and allowing them to grow i.e. not enough crosses or percentage football - everything is concise and controlled.

With France however - we see a more box playing Henry. One who gets headed goals and knock downs at the same time as setting other players up like Trezeguet. Perhaps he would be a suitable transfer target although somewhat distant from our financial capabilities.

This award will also reinforce Henry's loyalty to Arsenal as he will now know that he can acheive world recognition at this club. Why move on?

Adam

Established Member
Let's hear it from the FIFA conference in Switzerland first.

It isn't expected. Perhaps people want Zidane to be remembered as a great so they are giving it to him for a third time. Henry however, has the potential to become an even greater great. It was probably a choice of making Henry a new, potential great, or re-affirming Zidanes status irrespective of his performances.

JazzG

Established Member
This award should be about rewarding the best player of 2003, not re-affirming Zidane's status.

Personally I feel it is a joke Henry hasn't won it. But this award is a joke, Ballack last year took germany to the WC finalso, took leverkusen to the CL final, german cup final and his side just lost out on the league. Ronaldo just played well in the WC and won the award ahead of him.

I hope eurosport are spreading BS, but I won't be suprised if Henry doesn't win.....

Adam

Established Member
The problem is that it is not decided by a FIFA panel who look at performances over the year. It is decided by managers and recognised people in footballl who don't always consider the important factors (i.e. the actual year they are winning it for) and instead they go for who they generally think is the best player at this time.

Especially when in terms of ability it is so tight between the three. But obviously, Henry has had the best year and has the potential to be the best out of the three.

lewdikris

Established Member
Whether Henry wins or not - these years without international competition make the choice much harder. Ronaldo won last year because of the World Cup, pure and simple. Whatever the merits of the leagues, it's in international play that the 'best' is easier to judge...

We'll see what happens.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Zidane won, probably deservedly. he is the most technically gifted player in the world. maybe if the award was for actual performance within the year, henry might have won. I feel though that the managers who voted would probably base it on what they perceive as player's with overall ability. In those terms, zidane is the best in the world.

Adam

Established Member
I hope Henry didn't get his expectations up, otherwise this may affect him. The noises from Wenger were indicative of perhaps a lower expectation level:

"It's an acheivement to get in the final 3 anyway" sort of thing. Playing it down. Intelligent move Arsène!

Andrew

Is it not officially announced?

I think that Zidane is possible the best in the world. But on last years form both Henry and Ronaldo deserved it more. For me, Ronaldo was the reason behind Real's success last season.

But I can't say I'm not suprised. When you see the candidates are players like Zidane and Ronaldo and not the likes of Nedved and Maldini then there's no suprise that the final vote wasn't right either. Personally I thought Neved was the only one who deserved it more than Henry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom