• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Henry pipped to Ballon D'Or award by Nedved

Henry's Girl

http://www.arsenal.com/sportsappcontroller.jsp?command=forwardOnly&nextPage=websiteindex

The winner of the European Footballer of the Year Award, known as the Balon D'Or (Golden Ball), has been announced.

Judged by France Football magazine and voted by 52 of the publication's correspondents, the Balon D'Or winner for 2003 was Juventus and Czech Republic midfielder Pavel Nedved.

Arsenal striker Thierry Henry came second, with AC Milan's Paolo Maldini finishing in third spot.

BALLON D'OR PLACINGS:

1. Pavel Nedved (Juventus)
2. Thierry Henry (Arsenal)
3. Paolo Maldini (AC Milan)
4. Andriy Shevchenko (AC Milan)
5. Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid)

Congratulations to Thierry for this huge recognition, which adds to his second place in the FIFA World Player of the Year Award last week.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
I don't see horseface in the top 5.
Nedved said that he thinks that Thierry would have been a more deserving winner.

Adam

Established Member
Goonergurjit said:
Nedved said that he thinks that Thierry would have been a more deserving winner.

Do you have a link Gurjit?

A

Anonymous

Fair enough i suppose.
Juve won the league, runners up in the CL and he was outstanding in gettin the czechs to Euro 2004.
What did titi win?

Thats two seconds now, just hope his team doesnt end up in that position again. Thats the main thing.

Sol said:
Fair enough i suppose.
Juve won the league, runners up in the CL and he was outstanding in gettin the czechs to Euro 2004.
What did titi win?

Thats two seconds now, just hope his team doesnt end up in that position again. Thats the main thing.

Titi won the FA Cup and Confederations cup.
what does runner-up in europe mean?**** all

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Adam said:
Goonergurjit said:

Do you have a link Gurjit?

Yes I do:

Nedved scoops top award

Nedved has been in great form
Juventus and Czech Republic midfielder Pavel Nedved has been named 2003 European Footballer of the Year.
Nedved topped a poll from 52 countries published by France Football magazine on Monday with 190 points.

Arsenal striker Thierry Henry came second with 128 points and AC Milan's Paolo Maldini third with 123 points.

Nedved had a superb 2002-03 season for Juve, guiding the team to the Champions League final, which he missed through suspension.

"I didn't even dream of this," said Nedved. "I am very happy to win such an extraordinary prize."

"I heard I was part of the nominees, but I didn't really think I was going to win.

"There are many players who have had great seasons, like Zinedine Zidane, Paolo Maldini and Raul."

He added: "For me, Thierry Henry is the best forward in the world now.

"I am very happy. I did not think I would beat Thierry Henry, Paolo Maldini or Zinedine Zidane and if I had voted I would have voted for Thierry and for the other players on the podium."

The 31-year-old was also a key player as Juve won Italy's Serie A and a major factor in the Czech Republic's successful Euro 2004 qualification campaign.

Arsenal and France striker Henry was also second in the Fifa Player of the Year award, which was won by Real Madrid's Zidane.

Nedved had finished fourth in the Fifa poll.

The Czech Republic international joined Juve from Italian rivals Lazio for £25m in July 2001.

He is the second Czech player to win the honour after Josef Masopust won the award in 1962.

Nedved has also been named Czech athlete of the year in his home country after a poll of sports journalists.

Source: BBC Sport

A

Anonymous

serbiangunner said:
Sol said:
Fair enough i suppose.
What did titi win?

Titi won the FA Cup and Confederations cup.

WOW!! The FA and Confederations Cup!! Major cups them arent they :wink:

And Neved was the outstanding player in the outstanding club competition in the world. Henry, frankly was not.

JGooner

Nedved deserves it. He is consistently world class at the very highest level, which is the CL. Henry isn't. Nedved is the complete footballer.

Sammer

Established Member
Nedved deserves to win, but so does Henry.

WTF - who cares. He is Gooner.

I rather have him at 2nd place and Arsenal winning the EPL.

JazzG

Established Member
JGooner said:
Nedved deserves it. He is consistently world class at the very highest level, which is the CL. Henry isn't. Nedved is the complete footballer.

I wouldn't say that, he was very average for them at the start of their campaign but towards the end as the team improved so did he. Also Henry scored 7 goals in the CL last season, 4th or 5th overall, not bad if you ask me.......

In their leagues they were both as good as each other. In the CL Nedved was better and for their international teams Henry was better. Pretty even if you ask me.

Still I'm not upset he won it, just felt Zidane no way deserved it but Nedved does. It had to be him or Nedved and either winning it brings back some credibility to the award.

Adam

Established Member
Nedved's a worthy winner but also Henry would of been if he had won it. Irrespective of what other users think.

AFCG7

Established Member
Finally the voters got it right.. i thought Nedved should have won both awards...
Deserved to win.. he has been the best player in the World in the last year or so.

slapz

AFCG7 said:
Finally the voters got it right.. i thought Nedved should have won both awards...
Deserved to win.. he has been the best player in the World in the last year or so.

Proper voting :) A decent top 3 of Nedved, Henry and Maldini who did really well in the year 2003 ( unlike the world player which is given on reputation )

Mark

Established Member
i kind of feel sorry for henry finishing second in everything, but he is up against very tough oposition. he'll always be number 1 to us.

jc8gooner

I am not too bothered if Titi doesn't win these awards to be honest. Football is a team game and as much as he deserves recognition for his amazing talent, I would prefer it if his talent was recognised by the fact that he wins stuff at Arsenal this season-The Premiership, the Champions League, The FA Cup.

Top Bottom