• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Houssem Aouar

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 8,500
  • Views 941,589
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Everyone loves Freddie...

_38749781_ljungberg298.jpg

74203.jpg

:drool:

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I get that but we wasn’t to know Zaha would have been ‘potentially’ cheaper in January, he had only recently signed a new contract.
All we know is we desperately needed a winger and we couldn’t afford to pay £80m upfront for one, therefore we had to look at other options.
If you are in a position where you can wait around indefinitely for your prime target then yeah, great.
Nobody says wait around indefinitely. But what I am saying there is value in waiting a little while. A window or two to see what can be done. Most clubs are now doing the same and it makes sense. You have two or three targets you get them. We got Gabriel and Partey plus Willian. We didn't do so bad. It's understanrable why we didn't go buy a second or third rate player just for the sake of it.

Harz

It does.

Let's look at two other worthwhile examples.

Liverpool wanted Van Dijk in the summer Southampton wanted more money. Rather than get someone they waited until January. They signed Allison in the summer plan A and waited for VVD.

United. Bruno was exactly the same. They got Maguire in the summer and waited for Bruno.

Now take us. We wanted Zaha and splashed 70 on Pepe. Imagine we just waited.

Now put that into context for this summer (covid etc) and re answer the question yourself.
Zaha situation was similar to VVD & Bruno sagas but there is no evidence that Aouar actually wants us so bad that he's willing to wait. He just wanted to leave Lyon badly, and that was our chance.

The belated Van Dijk purchase made Liverpool wait an extra year for the title and I don't think Bruno & Maguire purchases are successful management.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Zaha situation was similar to VVD & Bruno sagas but there is no evidence that Aouar actually wants us so bad that he's willing to wait. He just wanted to leave Lyon badly, and that was our chance.

The belated Van Dijk purchase made Liverpool wait an extra year for the title and I don't think Bruno & Maguire purchases are successful management.
Bruno has been sensational for United and they've had one of the best defensive records since Maguire signed. He takes a bit of stick a lot of it unmerited and his personality and strength has shown through after what must have been a near unimaginable situation to be in at the start of the season.

Who knows of Aouar actually wants us. But we kept the powder dry and will go again for him or another target. We just didn't buy for buying sake which recently has caused us issues.

Legend14

Established Member
I think we should start caring less about players' attitudes and care more about their talent. Xhaka's problem isn't that he's an idiot who gets sent off too often, it's that he's not good enough when he is on the pitch.

Character matters, but we're not where we are cos of a lack of good character, but cos of a lack of good talent.
Ok. Partially true. But it depends on where the rebel attitude is directed. Auoar’s conduct demonstrates a lack of leadership and is counter to building an attitude of hard work, which is mandatory for a winning club. Arsenal need a better attitude, they don’t need someone throwing petrol on their fire.

Legend14

Established Member
You're still paying 70m.

There are benefits either way. Paying a lump sum saves cash flow, spreading it preserves cash. Our biggest issue is cash flow so potentially given overall circumstances we would have been better buying Zaha.

The point is however Pepe wasn't our number one target. And if we waited we could have got Zaha potentially for cheaper in January. Rumours Palace would have sold for a lot less. Its good having a back up plan but other clubs are actually doing better waiting for their number one targets presumably learning the lesson of what happens when you get target B, C or D.
Yes, Zaha was the better choice, but we needed a DM at the time. I couldn’t have been more surprised with Pepe signing.

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc
I think we should start caring less about players' attitudes and care more about their talent. Xhaka's problem isn't that he's an idiot who gets sent off too often, it's that he's not good enough when he is on the pitch.

Character matters, but we're not where we are cos of a lack of good character, but cos of a lack of good talent.

Go look at Pogba for example then, talented but never work out. Character and Attitude are very important. You want a player who wants to play for the club, feels proud wearing the shirt and believe in the project/process.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆

It is understood that Arsenal is still in contact with Hussam Awar's camp.

The club has sent clear signals to the player and his family that Arteta intends to make Awar the core of the team

The club sees Hossam's characteristics as the key to a more effective offensive tactic

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐

The club has sent clear signals to the player and his family that Arteta intends to make Awar the core of the team

The club sees Hossam's characteristics as the key to a more effective offensive tactic

I really struggle to see this one happening now, given the state we’re in. He’d be mental to join us.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
I really struggle to see this one happening now, given the state we’re in. He’d be mental to join us.
If things have soured for him at Lyon, this may be his only option to get out. Otherwise it'll be 5-6 months of tension.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

We should make sure there’s not some 35 year old Kia client called Hussam Awar knocking about before we get excited.

Last edited:

Iceman10

Established Member
Yesterday i read psg want him but Aulas still asking for 55m. I don't think it'll happen Lyon in good position in league after 15 games

He knows Real Madrid didn’t have the money during the 2020 summer window but likely will for the 2021 summer window, as per Zidane sort of tapping him up. Don’t see this as a likely transfer (to Arsenal) anymore.

Goonger

He knows Real Madrid didn’t have the money during the 2020 summer window but likely will for the 2021 summer window, as per Zidane sort of tapping him up. Don’t see this as a likely transfer (to Arsenal) anymore.

Will Real not concentrate funds on trying to get Mbappe this summer?

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Gotta be honest there - Aouar fits our needs quite well, but I'm no longer that sure whether he's still higher on my list than Buendia with his overall character and varying performances.

Also for like close to double the price.
Think Buendia + another exciting midfielder is better business than only Aouar.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Gotta be honest there - Aouar fits our needs quite well, but I'm no longer that sure whether he's still higher on my list than Buendia with his overall character and varying performances.

Also for like close to double the price.
Think Buendia + another exciting midfielder is better business than only Aouar.

Different positions though, but both would be upgrades on what we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom