• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Houssem Aouar

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 8,500
  • Views 943,959
Status
Not open for further replies.

zhaggy

Does every player on a football team have to be good at defending?

I think not, but I suspect alot of managers wants all of their players to contribute defensively.
Cant expect a auba type of player to have the defensive traits as vvd for example but if the press starts from the front it puts a lot more preassure on the other team and thus a higher chance of winning the ball back.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Lets be real here to compete for top 4 this coming season we need these sort of signings.

I think our squad is not THAT bad, if not for Emery we would've probably finished 5th/6th, the gap to 4th from there was not that big, but every team bar City and Pool were very inconsistent and we can't really bank on us being less **** than the others.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I think our squad is not THAT bad, if not for Emery we would've probably finished 5th/6th, the gap to 4th from there was not that big, but every team bar City and Pool were very inconsistent and we can't really bank on us being less **** than the others.

It isn't horrendous, but the signings other clubs are making makes it a lot harder.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Our issue is we have very few reliable performers. Only Auba/Willian/Leno have shown they can provide consistent top performances throughout a PL season.

We are reliant on our young players making a big impact, which you cant say for certain they will.

Quality wise though, they have what it takes imo. Need big seasons from KT/AMN/Gabriel/Ceballos/Pepe especially.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

The counter argument would be that so far we've managed to organise ourselves and perform well in big one-off games, but overall our quality is still miles off where it needs to be, evidenced by games like the Aston Villa one. Without the addition of a really quality midfielder, preferably a technical and creative one, this squad isn't getting near top 4.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I think not, but I suspect alot of managers wants all of their players to contribute defensively.
Cant expect a auba type of player to have the defensive traits as vvd for example but if the press starts from the front it puts a lot more preassure on the other team and thus a higher chance of winning the ball back.

I guess, but there are different ways to play football. Klopp's midfield doesn't create but it does a lot of work, that's fine but it doesn't mean everyone has to play that way.

Moreover you can have small technical midfielders and still get them to contribute defensively in a well-drilled system, D. Silva or Iniesta for example. Aouar's defensive numbers are low, but that doesn't mean he can't get better at that. He's still very young after all, the main thing is that he has the technical quality to be a top midfielder.

say yes

forum master baiter
I agree.

Think we can actually go toe-to-toe with any club in the country not named City or Liverpool. And two of those spaces in the top four are definitely up for grabs.

However, I think we’ll drop too many points against the lesser teams to make top 4 unless we can address our creativity problems. Aouar would be massive in that regard.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

Arsenal fans never want to hold the players accountable lol, they are that bad bro that's why we've finished 8th, not like Arteta did much to get us higher up the table compared to Mourinho and Sp**s.

Who's actually good? All our CBs are sh*t, our fullbacks are average to good but injured most of the season, midfielders crap, only 1 proper effective forward. I'd take Leicester's squad over ours everyday of the week and probably Wolves too.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Arsenal fans never want to hold the players accountable lol, they are that bad bro that's why we've finished 8th, not like Arteta did much to get us higher up the table compared to Mourinho and Sp**s.

Who's actually good? All our CBs are sh*t, our fullbacks are average to good but injured most of the season, midfielders crap, only 1 proper effective forward. I'd take Leicester's squad over ours everyday of the week and probably Wolves too.

Nah, we're not good but if Emery was sacked sooner or at the end of last season I'm sure we would've finished 6th.

Unai mentally broke this lot and you can clearly see we've been performing better as a team under Mikel.

Thats not to say we're there or that Arteta is the chosen one, but it's been clearly better. Our patterns of consistency have gone from Charity FC to GoFundMe fc.

We need players, I'm not disputing that. But we've signed two promising defenders and now need to add more goals or at least more creativity up front or from midfield.

My whole point is that we need to invest because we can't bank on other teams being as inconsistent as we were.

zhaggy

I guess, but there are different ways to play football. Klopp's midfield doesn't create but it does a lot of work, that's fine but it doesn't mean everyone has to play that way.

Moreover you can have small technical midfielders and still get them to contribute defensively in a well-drilled system, D. Silva or Iniesta for example. Aouar's defensive numbers are low, but that doesn't mean he can't get better at that. He's still very young after all, the main thing is that he has the technical quality to be a top midfielder.

Absolutely, good points.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
..not like Arteta did much to get us higher up the table compared to Mourinho and Sp**s

I have seen comments like this a few times now from a few different people. Mourinho really gets a lot of credit for this but in reality he was just lucky he took over Sp**s earlier, when there wasn't a big gap between the teams at the bottom and top of the table.

He took over Sp**s at 14th place. Yet they were only 3 points off the 5th placed team. He ended the season....3 points off the 5th placed team. He managed to overtake the likes of Palace, Brighton, Bournemouth, Newcastle and Burnley who were just a single point ahead when he was appointed. That shows all those Mourinho 'climbing up the table' talk isn't as impressive as it sounds.

If we really comparing Arteta's record in the league with Mourinho's wouldn't you say it would be fair to compare their records since Arteta was appointed? Let's do that.

Arteta has been in charge for 20 games in the league, getting 33 points. Mourinho in that time also got 33 points. So again Mourinho didn't do any better. If we go and count games in all competition Mourinho comes off worse but I'm not going to discuss those now.

It isn't to say Arteta had a great league campaign, I think it was decent, he was still making mistakes and learning about our team and players, felt like we should have got more points than we did and on the whole it wasn't anything impressive. Where he excelled has been in the Fa cup games and big games in general. Very hopeful he will be amazing this coming season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom