• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

How much will we spend?

How much will Arsenal spend in the summer transfer market?

• We'll make a profit

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • Under £50m

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • £50m-100m

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • £100m+

Votes: 7 9.9%

• Total voters

carlito'sway

Established Member
Well, my original post asked why you would sell Lacazette for 60% of what you paid for him. That was my point more than the actual selling of Lacazette (which I wouldn't do anyway).

Mostly it was injuries that kept Aguero and Jesus from playing together during the times they didn't. Aguero may very well be on the way out now, but when they were together they co-existed quite well together.

But I assume we'll see what happens. :lol:

Ah ok...Missed the 60% post then. I am not for selling him for peanuts at all, we can get our money back but my point is that with Auba as the starting CF, Laca is expandable.
Again, disagree on the Aguero and Jesus, I think that was the perfect shoehorning situation and no surprise that Aguero may be expandable as well this summer.

Anyway, let's continue our assumptions....:lol:

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Ah ok...Missed the 60% post then. I am not for selling him for peanuts at all, we can get our money back but my point is that with Auba as the starting CF, Laca is expandable.
Again, disagree on the Aguero and Jesus, I think that was the perfect shoehorning situation and no surprise that Aguero may be expandable as well this summer.

Anyway, let's continue our assumptions....:lol:

Early in the season, Aguero and Jesus were playing together regularly and banging in the goals. But Pep had to change their formation a bit when Mendy got hurt because Delph couldn't give them width. They pushed Sane out to the wing and had to go with a single striker. But the pairing worked great when they were able to do it.

Here's something Arteta might have picked up from Pep. At Bayern he played a 4-3-1-2 with Lewandowski and Mueller up front. And, of course, all of Pep's formations are flexible and drift from one thing to another depending on the situation.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Early in the season, Aguero and Jesus were playing together regularly and banging in the goals. But Pep had to change their formation a bit when Mendy got hurt because Delph couldn't give them width. They pushed Sane out to the wing and had to go with a single striker. But the pairing worked great when they were able to do it.

Here's something Arteta might have picked up from Pep. At Bayern he played a 4-3-1-2 with Lewandowski and Mueller up front. And, of course, all of Pep's formations are flexible and drift from one thing to another depending on the situation.

You are also talking about teams with exceptional talent, something that is unfortunately not Arsenal's current situation.
Again, the two forwards options with Pep are rather forced by the circumstances and not the norm. No surprise that Pep is adding Mahrez to his already talented group of wing players.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
You are also talking about teams with exceptional talent, something that is unfortunately not Arsenal's current situation.
Again, the two forwards options with Pep are rather forced by the circumstances and not the norm. No surprise that Pep is adding Mahrez to his already talented group of wing players.

All the more reason to not rid the club of what exceptional talent it does have. Add. Don't subtract.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I'd rather sacrifice Mesut and play 442. But we all know that isn't going to happen.

No need to sacrifice Mesut. I don't want to lose Ramsey at all but if it goes that way then you could simply replace Ramsey with a DM or a defensive box-to-box player, someone like Doucoure, Kondogbia, Denis Zakaria or even Lucas Torreira. That player then sits next to Xhaka and forms a solid base, which allows you to play Özil & Mkhitaryan as drifting wingers/playmakers and then Auba & Laca up front. It could be a 4-3-3 with one of Özil/Mkhi in midfield and Auba on the wing or a 4-2-2-2.

I really like Ramsey and the idea of losing yet another key player, not to mention one we've invested so much time in, would really sting. But to be fair tactically it would make things simpler.

I still don't believe we got 50M to spend. I mean we got 50M for playing in Europa and arriving to semi final plus 100M+ from TV deal. That's should been added to transfer budget not to Kroenke pocket
Totally agree.
If Stan Kroenke (like Ashley up at Newcastle) can not bear to spend his money, he should move aside and sell the club to someone who will.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Kind of. It's pretty simplistic and uses amortisation as the sole base of reference where really it should simply be about cash flow.

Take this bit

Straight off the bat, we could buy a £20m centre back on a 4 year deal – that is the figure quoted for Borussia Dortmund’s Sokratis (I am not going to attempt to spell his surname). £20m over 4 years will cost the club £5m a year.

We could then sign Jean Michael Serri. He reportedly has a £40m release clause. Hand him another 4 year deal. That works out at £10m a year I the accounts.

So we have “spent” £60m in two players, yet the impact on the budget is just £15m. Still leaves us with £20m.

The author is purely grabbing transfer fees and amortising them over the length of the contract. This only represents part of the picture.

The transfer fee for a player is just one aspect of the total package. There are
- Transfer fees
- Agent fees
- First year wages (this is to gauge compliance with cost controls)
- Bonuses - PEA is getting paid a £15.15M signing bonus paid in four instalments over the life of his contract

The above has to be taken into account when creating a budget.

When we buy a player, very rarely do you see the full transfer fee paid up front. We still owe clubs £56M from previous transfers - this obviously has to be taken into consideration, the flip side is that we are owed about £33M on previous sales (AOC, Theo, Giroud, Coq).

Chicago_Gunner

'Exceptional talent' has to produce no matter what fancy meaningless label you stick on them.

Laca has produced. Pisses certain people off like @hydrofluoric acid and the other incessant bore, but there's always next season for them to be proven how wrong they were again...

A full season of Laca and PEA has me pumped!! Just started to find some chemistry

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
A full season of Laca and PEA has me pumped!! Just started to find some chemistry
Exactly, just having the options of them both is good enough for me, but if they can somehow find a way to feed off each other, then that's some serious artillery. It has to be high up on our next managers agenda. There were some promising signs recently.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Ornstein recently liked a tweet linking to that article on amortisation so we should probably stop taking the £50m figure literally.

Ralfball

DdkmsBRWsAQoW3E.jpg:large

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Wenger loyalists clinging to the £50m war chest story like it's the gospel, conveniently ignoring the fact that even if it's true, it might have something to do with Wenger pissing good money up the wall on stiffs recently. Tremendous.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Using wiki I've looked up the transfers the club has made since 2013/14 when the purse strings were 'loosened' by the glorious Stanley Kroenke. I'm sure they're not 100% but it gives a rough idea - these figures are for both summer and January transfers.

13/14: £33m net
14/15: £47m net
15/16: £20m net
16/17: £85m net
17/18: £7m profit​

With rumours of a £50m budget and no CL football (again), how much are the club going to spend?

These are just transfer fees. Here's what we've spent on players since (rounded to the nearest £m) 2013/14 (per AFC cash flow statement) - this would include transfer fees, agent fees and certain types of bonuses

13/14: £11m net
14/15: £46m net
15/16: £54m net
16/17: £103m net
17/18: ??*
**There's no way we were £7m profit in the 17/18 window. Instalments of transfer and agent fees in respect to Xhaka, Mustafi and Perez would still be owing. We won't know exactly what we spent in 17/18 until the accounts are released toward the end of September.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

These are just transfer fees. Here's what we've spent on players since (rounded to the nearest £m) 2013/14 (per AFC cash flow statement) - this would include transfer fees, agent fees and certain types of bonuses

13/14: £11m net
14/15: £46m net
15/16: £54m net
16/17: £103m net
17/18: ??*
**There's no way we were £7m profit in the 17/18 window. Instalments of transfer and agent fees in respect to Xhaka, Mustafi and Perez would still be owing. We won't know exactly what we spent in 17/18 until the accounts are released toward the end of September.
Alright mate, no need to make me look dumb. Reported.

Top Bottom