• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Hypothetical of the Week: If you could change the result of one game, which would would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breezy

Actually no I’ve got a better one. The Sporting Lisbon vs Man Utd friendly in 2003.

In my timeline Cristian Ronaldo picks up a minor injury in the first minute, Utd never realise they have to buy him after his dominant display and he comes to Highbury.

Then three years later in Paris in the 70th minute as Thierry Henry runs through on goal he squares it to an onrushing Ronaldo for a tap in and Arsenal become the first London team to win the CL.

Wenger would have converted him into a left-back.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I think Mourinho deserves some credit, especially for their first title win in 2005...Arsenal's team in 04/05 was a great one, and had all the experience of winning 3 league titles in 7 years...while Chelski hadn't won one until since the 50s...nothing harder that getting over the line that first time.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Actually no I’ve got a better one. The Sporting Lisbon vs Man Utd friendly in 2003.

In my timeline Cristian Ronaldo picks up a minor injury in the first minute, Utd never realise they have to buy him after his dominant display and he comes to Highbury.

Then three years later in Paris in the 70th minute as Thierry Henry runs through on goal he squares it to an onrushing Ronaldo for a tap in and Arsenal become the first London team to win the CL.
Another good one with a huge possible knock-on effect. If Ronaldo had come to Arsenal, would Wenger have gone for Reyes the following year? And if no Reyes at Arsenal, might we have seen another young Spanish striker join the club?:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/4430800.stm

There's your ready made Henry replacement when the time comes. Gives Wenger a great chance to win a(nother) in 07/08 as well.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
We always had great forwards, until Van Persie left in 2012 at least...don't think Torres would have made any difference to us in that period, we needed better defensive players then.
In this hypothetical scenario CL winners Arsenal are moving to the Emirates in 2006 with CR7 and the best young striker in Europe in the team, along with Fabregas. Could've been a dominant few years before they all moved to Real/Barca.

Riou

In this hypothetical scenario CL winners Arsenal are moving to the Emirates in 2006 with CR7 and the best young striker in Europe in the team, along with Fabregas. Could've been a dominant few years before they all moved to Real/Barca.

Do we have a better centre back pair than Kolo-Gallas though, ain't dominating the league with those two (both very good players, poor pair together) Ronaldo was able to win three leagues in a row as he had Rio-Vidic behind him.

Even if we did win the Champions League in 2006, I can't see us winning the league unless we improved at the back...we have had a load of great attackers since we last won the league, issue has been never really getting it right behind them.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Do we have a better centre back pair than Kolo-Gallas though, ain't dominating the league with those two (both very good players, poor pair together) Ronaldo was able to win three leagues in a row as he had Rio-Vidic behind him.

Even if we did win the Champions League in 2006, I can't see us winning the league unless we improved at the back...we have had a load of great attackers since we last won the league, issue has been never really getting it right behind them.
Yeah, in this scenario with no need for RVP in the summer of 2004 Wenger takes Francis Cagiago's advice and spends most of his budget on a young Spanish defender named Sergio Ramos. And with all this hypothetical success Ashley Cole never leaves. :drool:

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Auba scores that last second goal against those farmers in the Europa this season. We end up with a Cup double.

Tomb Bombadil

1) Of course the CL Final 2006

2) Game against Birmingham 2008 > More that broken leg didn't happen than the result

3) QF against Chelsea 2004

4) More receent the EL Final against Chelsea 2019 - Would have given us an international title + CL next season. But then we might be still with emery

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Another good one with a huge possible knock-on effect. If Ronaldo had come to Arsenal, would Wenger have gone for Reyes the following year? And if no Reyes at Arsenal, might we have seen another young Spanish striker join the club?:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/4430800.stm

There's your ready made Henry replacement when the time comes. Gives Wenger a great chance to win a(nother) in 07/08 as well.

Domino effect from Ronaldo would’ve been insane. Probably win the league and maybe even the CL in 2007/08 as he was the difference for Utd that year above us and Chelsea.

Would we still have ploughed as much money into the likes of Arshavin, Rosicky, Nasri and others if we had one of the all time greats in the team?

Who knows if when we sold him for 100M to Real eventually we could have managed to buy Hazard or any of the string of top class players we couldn’t quite afford?

Reactions: A_G

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Would we still have ploughed as much money into the likes of Arshavin, Rosicky, Nasri and others if we had one of the all time greats in the team?
Good chance Rosicky and Hleb don't happen, Nasri possibly might still have. Fascinating to wonder if Wenger would have still gone for Walcott in that scenario though.

Riou

Good chance Rosicky and Hleb don't happen, Nasri possibly might still have. Fascinating to wonder if Wenger would have still gone for Walcott in that scenario though.

Rosicky would have suited the other wing if we signed Ronaldo, would have been the workhorse/guy who drops deep to help the team while Ronaldo gets us the goals.

Hard to figure out what we would have done had we signed Ronaldo in 2003, so many variables.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Who knows if one side is tied up maybe we commit more funds to Ribery who we were in for.

Reactions: A_G

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Rosicky would have suited the other wing if we signed Ronaldo, would have been the workhorse/guy who drops deep to help the team while Ronaldo gets us the goals.

Hard to figure out what we would have done had we signed Ronaldo in 2003, so many variables.
But in this scenario, we're assuming the club keeps winning so maybe Wenger hangs onto Pires/Freddie instead of making as many changes to the squad as he did.

Riou

But in this scenario, we're assuming the club keeps winning so maybe Wenger hangs onto Pires/Freddie instead of making as many changes to the squad as he did.

Both were in decline though, we needed some new wingers in 2006.

Though these are all hypotheticals, so I don't know why I am questioning you so much :lol:

Kav

Established Member
06 Final for me was the most important one we lost. The worst part was that we started so well.

After that the loss at Old Trafford to snap our run. I hated and in do mean I hated Man U back then.

vantoure

Arsenal Barca UCL 2006. None other comes close

Still shudder when i think of the key moments in that match. hard to defend Henry for his misses too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom