• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Hypothetical: What is a rule you'd add or modify in the game?

Aevi

Hale End FC
To spark some new discussions, I'll look to create threads with a "what if"-like question every week (provided this kicks on). Might be Arsenal-related, general, tactical, etc...

If this goes well, I'll look to archive these and open a page where you can submit your own questions to be asked (even though of course, you're generally free to post questions of your own).

So Q1: What is a rule you'd add or modify in the game?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

To spark some new discussions, I'll looks to create threads with a "what if"-like question every week. Might be Arsenal-related, general, tactical, etc...

If this goes well, I'll look to archive these and open a page where you can submit your own questions to be asked (even though of course, you're generally free to post questions of your own).

So Q1: What is a rule you'd add or modify in the game?

I’m sick of inconsistent injury time that the refs pull out of their backside based on how they’re feeling that day.

Go full rugby and every stoppage in play pause the clock and end the game on 90 minutes. Would kill time wasting and faking injuries as well as standardising refereeing.

Last edited:

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Direct yellow for tactical fouls to break up a counter before it starts.

Automatic yellow after x amount of fouls from the same player (no more games where Jorginho makes 10+ fouls and no yellow)

Aevi

Hale End FC
I’m sick of inconsistent injury time that the refs pulls out of their backside based on how they’re feeling that day.

Go full rugby and every stoppage in play pause the clock and end the game on 90 minutes. Would kill time wasting and faking injuries as well as standardising refereeing.
That's a good one, I could get behind that.

It'd also stop the habit refs have of inconsistently stopping added time when the minutes are up regardless of time-wasting during that period. I think games would get significantly longer though which might mess with TV times, isn't there a stat that the ball is dead for 1/3 of games or something? That's a lot.

lvgh98

Similar to the above but perhaps an additional card (orange?) for those really cynical fouls that don’t warrant a red but clearly aren’t an attempt for the ball.

10mins on the side line.

Although having said that, as a rule, I tend to be against anything which adds additional judgement.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

It'd also stop the habit refs have of inconsistently stopping added time when the minutes are up regardless of time-wasting during that period. I think games would get significantly longer though which might mess with TV times, isn't there a stat that the ball is dead for 1/3 of games or something? That's a lot.

Yeah think the average match has between 60 and 65 minutes of actual ball playing something

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I’m sick of inconsistent injury time that the refs pull out of their backside based on how they’re feeling that day.

:rofl: This is football, boss. We need to give the fans something to talk about down the pub... apparently. And it makes too much sense which has no place in the game.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I’d add sexy cheerleaders.

1749953.jpg

Already a thing with some clubs :lol:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Yeah, the solution was to have 30 minute halves which would actually give the fans a bit more ‘football’ than what they get in matches now.

I thought it was a good idea tbh but the purists aren’t having it.

lvgh98

Sorry another one...

An appeals process for onfield decisions like that used for cricket/tennis. Both teams get 2 appeals per game triggered by either the manager or captain.

Game is ref’d as usual with no interference unless an appeal comes in from manager/captain. Referee also able to check footage if unsure himself.

***Replaces VAR as it is currently used***

Last edited:

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I would like to see the Emirates Cup goal equaling points format come into the game. Where you could pick up more points for each goal scored for example.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Referees from other countries, at least the TV referees. Make referees across europe part of one professional system.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Sorry another one...

An appeals process for VAR like that used for cricket/tennis. Both teams get 2 appeals per game triggered by either the manager or captain.

Game is ref’d as usual with no interference unless an appeal comes in from manager/captain. Referee also able to check VAR if unsure himself.
When you say appeal VAR I’m guessing you’re talking sendings off and fouls because offside is a black or white rule?

Who would the decision go to, if you appeal against the VAR official? And what if you want to appeal against the referees decision?

lvgh98

When you say appeal VAR I’m guessing you’re talking sendings off and fouls because offside is a black or white rule?

Who would the decision go to, if you appeal against the VAR official? And what if you want to appeal against the referees decision?

So I’m thinking that the game would be refereed as it was before VAR was introduced. With all decisions being made by on-field referee and linesmen.

Then if for instance a penalty is given, but the defending team believes the player dives - captain triggers an appeal. Referee of that game goes to review on screen with potential to change his decision.

Likewise if referee himself is not sure if it was a dive, he stops play and reviews the footage himself.

Same for offsides, linesman keeps flag down but CB thinks he was offside- he speaks to captain to trigger appeal.

If appeal is successful, keep the 2 appeals. If unsuccessful, down to 1 appeal.

Would almost remove the need for a separate VAR official I would suggest and remove that additional level of judgment. Could also work with a separate VAR official as they do in cricket/rugby where they will always have the final say. I do acknowledge though that football laws are more open to interpretation than cricket in particular.

Controversy around “clear and obvious” removed and teams only have themselves to blame for not appealing a decision.

Last edited:
Top Bottom